*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1655371-With-A-Friend-to-Call-My-Own
Rated: E · Short Story · Biographical · #1655371
A simple short story about my friend who live a miserable life and how I
April 17, 2006, I met with a friend who was very kind to me. She was very good friend of mine. Her name is Antoinette. She always had a smiling face, but I always know she hides her miserable life with her beautiful smile.

At that time we’ve met in the plaza, we walk each other in the entire afternoon.

“So Alrom, how’s your graduation last month?” Antoinette asked.

“I got an award for being a varsity player in chess,” I said to her.

“That’s great!”

She is proud of me for being awarded. As she looked in my face, she saw tears flowing down in my face. She wondered why I’m crying.

“What’s the matter?” she asked.

“I am sad for not achieving the award I always wanted.”

“Award? You mean being the Best in Science, right?”

“Yes, that is the one. My friends and classmates said that I should be the Best in Science because I competed for the Science Quiz Bee for three straight years during our Intramural. I wonder why the teachers didn’t award me that award.”

She felt sad for me like the way she is sad when she remembered her past.

Now that we were both in college now, I am studying Bachelor of Science in Nursing in Saint Gabriel College and she is studying in Aklan State University as a Hotel and Restaurant Management student. We are talking in the internet a lot. So much conversation, we were like peas and carrots.

So we met in the plaza again and have a conversation again. As we walk in the plaza, she was sadly asked me this question.

“Alrom, am I living a worthy life?”

“Yes, you are. Why did you ask?”

“Alrom, many people in my school spreading bad rumors against me and they stated that I have some sort of mental disorder. They discriminate me like they I am an outcast,” she stated that sadly.

I felt bad about it. I always know that she was not like that. I felt a lot of anger about those people who spread bad rumors against her. All I do is boost her spirit.

“Antoinette, don’t listen to a word they say. We both know they are wrong. They should be the one who to be called crazy because they don’t know you in the way I know you.”

“Thank you for helping me eases my pain but I am sick of my life. My life is too miserable.” She cried in the front of me and I let her come to me and cry on my shoulder.

Two years had passed, she graduated from Associate in Food Service Management, and it is a two year course of Hotel and Restaurant Management. In that same year, I graduate in Associate in Health Science Education, and it is also a two year course for Nursing. We are both proud of each other even we only finish two year courses.

One day, Antoinette texted me in my cell phone and read her text message. She said: “Alrom, can we meet in the plaza? I am here right now.”

As I went to the plaza, I saw her standing in the canteen. I went there and she was holding a gift in her hands. She said, “Alrom, I want to give this gift to you for being such a good friend. I am going to miss you.”

As she mentioned that last words she said, I wonder where she going to.

“We are moving to United Kingdom and we are going to live there.”

I feel very sad because a friend to call my own is going to leave me but on the bright side, I am happy for her because she might have a better life there. I know it’s for the best. Somehow, I thought that one day that we have to say goodbye.

“I am also going to miss you. I want you to know that you’ve been such a good friend since the day we’ve met.”

“Same here Alrom. You are a best friend that a friend could ever have. I always keep this in my heart and mind that I am blessed that you are destined to be my friend.”

I was touched by the words she said. I said this to her, “If people say anything against you, ignore them because they know you are better than them. They are just jealous or insecure of you. Just be brave enough to face this world full of jealousy and insecurity. Okay?”

“Okay, I will take your words.”

The day after we met in plaza, she went to United Kingdom. We still keep in touch in the Internet through e-mail. I will always pray to God for her safety and sent an angel to protect her from those bad people.
© Copyright 2010 Alrom Christian Ricafuente (alrom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1655371-With-A-Friend-to-Call-My-Own