*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656350-Children-of-the-Light
by Permer
Rated: E · Other · Inspirational · #1656350
A short story about some children playing in a dining room with blankets as a tent.
Children of the Light

“It’s falling off the tall chair.”
“See if Mom will get us a clothespin.”
Because it was a sunny winter day, Mom got them a clothespin.
Then it was decided that clothespins all around would work better. This idea was a little harder to get by their mother, but eventually a blanket tent was built.
Some things happen that no one has an explanation for. When things like that happen to children, either an adult who is nearby will believe them, or it will become a story that some of the children might remember when they are adults.
Liesl was the first one who noticed it. The fact that Liesl always seemed to notice things first bothered Stefan. He was the oldest, after all. But Liesl was precocious for a three year old, and respected her older brother’s feelings. So when he told their mother about it, she didn’t argue with his chronology.
It was a bright light, as if someone were shining a big flashlight down on the top of their tent. It looked like a bright yellow circle on their ceiling. Stefan, who was closest to the door, stuck his head out from the blankets to try and see what it was. Because he couldn’t see from where he was, he crawled out of the tent and stood up.
A few seconds later, he crawled back in the tent. Terry started giggling, because Stefan was chalk white. Liesl told him to stop laughing and asked Stefan what was wrong. Stefan was rather upset.
“It looks like a bright sun beam coming down from the ceiling. But there is no hole in the ceiling. I’m afraid it’s aliens.”
Liesl said they should go tell Mom about it. As soon as she said that, the light went off. She was afraid that her mother wouldn’t believe her if there was no light. But she decided that she should tell her about it anyway.
Many adults who heard what Liesl told her mother would not believe it. But Liesl’s mother was not like most adults. She remembered what it was to be a child. She told her it was God who had make the light they saw. She told her to remember that light, because she would be able to tell her children the story someday. The day God smiled on Liesl, Stefan & Terry.
© Copyright 2010 Permer (tmarkl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656350-Children-of-the-Light