*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656509-Nyras-Gift
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1656509
With her family dead, what will Nyra do when given something far too precious to care for?
For anyone who reads this: In my mind, Nyra was pronounced "Neer-a" not "Ni-ra". Thanks for reading :)

What else was she suppose to do? Where would she go? What else could she possibly have to live for? Nyra’s family had been killed by those damned hunters, even taking her three precious pups away from her. The monsters! She wanted to howl to the absent moon in the sky as it hid from her, too scared of the rage that would come from Nyra. But tonight, she could do nothing. Nyra laid with her head in her paws as she whimpered in anguish of her lost lover Verex and her all too young pups. She hadn’t eaten in days — why would she want to — and her stomach growled. Her mouth was dry and her head spun in spite of it. Nyra knew that if she didn’t get something to eat soon, she would die. Maybe . . . Maybe that would be better. To die alone in the cave she is so hesitant to call a home anymore. At least then she wouldn’t have to live with such agony for much longer.
    But her nature, her strive to live, overpowered her will, and she stood on food deprived and shaky legs as she stumbled out of the den. Nyra was weak, and she could feel it. With her head bowed she paid little attention to the deer that trotted halfheartedly by, knowing Nyra wouldn’t be able to hunt. The wolf paid no attention to where she was going, but didn’t care in the least.
    She shook herself, bringing herself back into the reality she so hated, just in time for her to step into a shallow pool of water. It was just out in the middle of nowhere like that? Nyra looked around, and down the hill a ways, she saw another cave, this one blackened from the rise and fall of the tide. She trotted down the grassy hill until she reached the bottom.
    Staying low, Nyra crept up on the cavern, anticipating any hunters around. When she poked her head around the corner of the entrance, Nyra saw that the cave was completely empty. Confused at this, she went inside, trying to smell out its residents. She stayed along the edge of the wall, diligently keeping watch for any traps. About ten yards in, she saw a tunnel, just small enough where she could crawl through. Nyra sniffed the tunnel. She could smell fresh air. And . . . And what?
    Lying down on her belly, Nyra crawled into the tunnel, which out of nowhere, dropped off. Nyra yelped as she plummeted the short distance into the dark and cold water. As soon as she surfaced, the terrified wolf sped to the narrow stretch of sand on the side of the cavern. She shook herself dry for the most part, and once again found herself with her face lying in her paws and her tail wrapped around herself in sadness. She had trapped herself, and there was no way she could jump back up there. There was no light except a small beam of from the sun, roughly the size of a melon.
    Nyra closed her eyes, trying to fall asleep.
    “Excuse me!” someone snapped in a very high pitched voice. Nyra’s eyes flashed open in confusion and shock. “Yes you!”
Nyra’s jaw dropped. In the middle of the underground pond, a little creature stood. She was neon green and vaguely resembled Tinkerbelle with her pointed butterfly wings, except her hair was lazily flowing down her back until it reached her thighs. The fairy wore almost nothing on top except to cover up her breasts and a tight skirt that clung to her legs to cover up everything that needed to be. She had her hands on her hips in an impatient pose and she was tapping her foot on the water, causing little outward ripples.
    “Do you mind explaining to me what you’re doing?”
Nyra got up. She had to get a better look at the little creature. The wolfs snout was just inches from the fairy, so she took advantage of the moment. The fairy hoisted herself up and sat on the beasts nose so she could speak, knowing the wolf wouldn’t speak back.
    “What are you doing down here?” she repeated. The wolf’s eyes were sad; alone. The fairy felt sudden sympathy for the large animal.
    “You’re all alone, aren’t you wolf?”
    Gently, Nyra nodded.
    “Where’s your family?”
    Nyra again whimpered, not wanting to discuss something so tragic.
    “Oh hose hunters!” She snapped angrily. “Think they can do whatever they want! They have no idea what they’re doing, do they?!”
    Nyra closed her eyes, dipping her nose back to the water to let the fairy down before Nyra sulked back as far as she could from the little thing.
    The fairy followed, petting the wolf, trying to comfort her.
    “It’s okay.”
The wolf hid her face away. The fairy thought for a moment, and suddenly was very proud of herself.
    “Nyra,” the fairy whispered. Shocked that the creature knew her name Nyra turned back around. She looked the fairy straight in the eye, but sadness still overwhelmed her.
    “I know that you’re family can never be replaced. But I have something that could at least ease the pain.” Nyra listened intently. “A few days ago, a lone pup wandered in her and nearly drowned. His mother was also killed by hunters, so a few of the wood nymphs have been taking care of him.” The fairy paused, gauging Nyra’s reaction. “He needs a mother Nyra. One that can take care of him like only a wolf can.”
    Nyra nodded, knowing that she would want someone to do the same for her.
    “I’ll even get you out of here.” Nyra’s eyes lit up at tell of this, and she stood to her feet. “All you need to do is fall asleep.”
    Cheered up immensely by the news this little thing had given her, Nyra found it hard to sleep. But eventually she managed to let her weariness overtake her excitement. 

When Nyra awakened, she found that not only had the fairy been telling the truth, but she could feel the tiny breaths of a tiny curled up pup, just a week or two old, against her stomach as he slept.



Word Count: 1048
© Copyright 2010 journalmethis (teen15writer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656509-Nyras-Gift