*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656541-SUDDEN-FEAR
by Cal
Rated: E · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1656541
The party was in full swing when, once again
He stared at the little bungalow that he’d shared with his wife and children from behind the bushes.  The new owner had painted it a bright yellow.  But the color couldn’t hide the darkness that lived within.  The darkness that had drove him into the madness that took over his life.  We watched as parents dropped off their kids at the house.  The kids were dressed up in costumes.  Some were super heroes, some were princesses, and there were pirates, and yet others were dressed as cartoon characters.

The Halloween party Janet was giving for her sons’ second grade class was in full swing when, once again, the lights in Janet’s house started flickering. Immediately the children started laughing and screaming, “Whoo, Whoo, the ghosts are coming.” Miss Brightstar, the children’s teacher, whispered into Janet’s ear, “Good trick.”

Janet laughed nervously, and said “Gee, thanks.”

But, with her heart beating overtime, Janet sensed this wasn’t a trick, and the fear that plagued her since her family’s move to the bungalow on Montrose Street in Mountview intensified more than ever.

The fear had started the day after they had moved into the house when Janet was picking up leaves in the front yard and looked up to see a short, middle-aged, balding man with bushy eyebrows and a glazed look in his eyes staring at her.

Feeling startled, she said, “Hello, may I help you?”

The old man hissed, “Leave this place.” He turned and ran down the street mumbling something to himself that Janet couldn’t understand. The incident had sent a chill up her spine, and the memory of him still freaked her out. 

As she went about starting a new life in a new house she decided to host a costume party for her twin son’s grade 2 class.  She thought it would be an excellent way for them to get to know their teacher and classmates.

The morning of the party she opened the front door to retrieve the newspaper, and saw the same strange man staring directly at her front door.  She quickly grabbed the paper and closed and locked the door.  Sudden fear swept over her, and she wasn’t sure what she should do.

Then Rich and Kev ran into the kitchen wearing the masks to their costumes.  Rich was yelling, “I’m the scariest monster in the World!”

“No, I’m the scariest monster,” wailed Kev.

“You are both the scariest”, laughed Janet. 

Both boys had jet black hair, like Janet, however her hair was bone straight and theirs was a mass of curls.  Rich had chocolate brown eyes, and Kev had big baby blue eyes, other than their eye color they were identical.

After dropping the boys off at school Janet returned home to clean up and start work.  Janet was a graphic artist – a job that allowed her to work from home.

That night it was after the magician finished his magic show and the children started playing pin the tail on the donkey that the lights which Miss Brightstar thought was a trick started flickering. 

Then almost immediately, Janet heard a banging in the basement. “Excuse me, Miss Brightstar.”

Miss Brightstar smiled and said, “Sounds like an uneven load in your washing machine.”

“Yes, I must have forgotten I’d put a load in” replied Janet.

But she hadn’t forgotten because she knew she hadn’t started any laundry. Janet opened the door to the basement and the banging stopped when she turned the light on. 

Then suddenly, she heard a low growling that sounded like a rabid dog from underneath the step going down to the basement.  Her heart jumped a beat and she turned off the light and shut the door quietly, no wanting to alarm her guests.  The party would soon be over and she could notify the authorities after she got the boys’ into bed.  They must have left the basement door open when they were playing down there after school.

As she waited for the police, Janet hoped this wasn’t her imagination working over-time and decided she’d better check before she made a fool of herself.  The lights flickered off and it was dark, then the banging and growling started.

Janet slammed the basement door, and sudden fear gripped her.  She could hear her heart beating in her ears, like a training speed through a dark tunnel, when the doorbell rang.

She ran to the door, flung it open and looked into the face of Officer Jacobs.

“Is everything alright in here, Maam? We were coming up your walk and saw your lights flicker.”

“Did you hear the banging and growling too?”  Janet’s heart-rate had started 



decelerate now that the police had arrived.



         “No Maam, my partner, Officer Brown is checking your back yard.  If you



don’t mind I’ll check your basement.”



“Absolutely,” declared Janet.  “Please come in.”



Within minutes Officer Jacobs came back upstairs and said, “My partner just apprehended a man running from your basement, Maam.  Please come with me to see if you recognize him?”

         Janet peered into the car and immediately felt sick to her stomach.  “Oh my gawd, he’s that strange little man who’s been hanging around across the street.  I thought he’d been looking at this house, but then I convinced myself I was imagining it, because the next time I’d look he’d be gone.”

         “Here’s my card, call me tomorrow,” said Officer Jacobs. “I’ll do a background check on him.  Meanwhile, he’ll be staying with us for tonight, so you can rest easy.”

         The next day just before lunch, Janet called Officer Jacobs.  After being put on hold briefly, Officer Jacobs’s confident voice said, “Officer Jacobs here.”

         “Hi Janet Johnson here, on Montrose Street, I was wondering if you found out anything?”

         “I’m glad you called. Turns out the man we found in your basement used to own your house. However, he had a gambling problem and he lost it. His wife and kids left him. Sad, sad story. Currently he resides in a mental health group home. Apparently he stopped taking his meds and thought you and the boys were his family. At least, that’s what he is saying. We’re sending him to the psych ward for and examination, before deciding what charges we can lay against him.  My advice to you is to enjoy your new home and forget it. This guy is harmless – but change your locks.”

         Janet feeling relieved, said, “Thank you, Officer Jacobs. But her head was reeling. She wasn’t certain if she’d ever be able to – just forget it.



The End

© Copyright 2010 Cal (calggal49 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656541-SUDDEN-FEAR