*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656738-Runner
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1656738
A boy who's father leaves him and his mom.
As of right now, I live in Adams, Pennsylvania. That however, won’t last long. I’m 22 year old, and my name is Madden Smith. Yes, like the football video game. In this game, you have players with certain positions. The running back runs all over the field to avoid tackles and contention. That is my position, the running back in my field of Earth. Since I was little I’ve never been able to sit still. I always wanted to be somewhere else, doing something else. I guess you can say I was never satisfied. Unsatisfied with my so-called parents, friends and life. So I did what I had always done best, move. I’m not reserved or selfish, I’m just me, a runner. I ran from my dream wife, my dream job, and every goal I had ever aspired to accomplish. This trait I have however, did not suddenly just appear. When I was eight, I found out it was in my genes. As my teacher used to say, “Apples don’t fall far from trees,” and the apple tree I fell from, was a rotten one. My dad, Lex, was a runner as well. Only he ran away from more important things, for instance, his pride, dignity, and me and my mom. After this incident, my youth and future forever changed. I was a perky little child, with short blonde hair and tan freckles. I had the imagination the size of Big Foot, and a smile that could create a glare, but slowly that all ceased. “For every door that closes, another is opened.” This is what my mother kept stating to me. She seemed to handle it well on the outside, but what she was feeling inside I will never know. My father leaving us put a damper on our lifestyle and actions, but never on my mother’s relationship and mine. We have been, and will be together through every sticky situation, and I can always count on her. No matter where my running takes me, we will always have each other. Thank goodness one amazing parent can still raise a child. From a distance, it would look as if Lex had an ideal life. He had a great job, a perfect family, but yet he left it. Others in the neighborhood could never pin point the reason why he would leave. Now, with all my experience in running I have, I must admit I believe it was because his life was to perfect. I had always dreamed about being just like him. I put all my faith in him, and he crushed it all to 1000 pieces. That I suppose, is how I became a scaredy-cat. A scarred freak whose heart would never heal from it’s 14 years old punctured artery. I couldn’t bear to put the same pain and burden on others that he silently placed on us. The change that he has caused in my life will forever affect the man I am. Therefore, I do nothing but run. Run from any, and every happiness I could ever have. Thank you father, you taught me well.
© Copyright 2010 kgiven2012 (kgiven2012 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656738-Runner