*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656781-User-namemscassie
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Contest Entry · #1656781
The story behind the name...mscassie.
When I was 7, I won a scholarship to a children's camp nestled in the heart of the Huron National Forest. A city girl, I was terrified of the isolated camp. Little did I know, that scholarship would be the beginning of a long love story. Nine years later, without having missed a summer at camp, I completed my Camper In Leadership Training (CILT) class. It was official; I was a camp counselor! Out of respect, and in the spirit of creativity, the camp required staff to choose "bird" names as aliases. Wanting to be creative and original, I scoured the Birds of North America books searching for a name that would fit me. I found a "Cassowary" (a large flightless bird similar to an Ostrich). Knowing that is was too long, I shortened to Cassie. During the CILT graduation I was introduced as Cassie. Elated, I couldn't wait for my first group of campers. Our theme for the week was "Gone With the Wind" and each tent group was required to create a parody based on a scene from the movie. Giggling with excitement, one of my campers declared, "But Miss Cassie, Miss Cassie, I don' no nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies." From that day forward this large, flightless bird soared with her campers.
© Copyright 2010 mscassie (mscassie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656781-User-namemscassie