*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657897-Encounter-with-the-Unwanted
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1657897
A knight's encounter with an unwanted guest.
Agorus drew his horse gently towards the stream that wended its way through the forest.  Although he was a knight, he had forsaken his gleaming armor for a hunting dress of leather, so as to better undertake the task before him.  He was going to the King’s crystal grotto to gather stones of seeing and health and return them to Castle Althorn.

Agorus knew he was near the entrance to the grotto when the tweeting sound of birds faded and the cool gushing sound of a waterfall became louder.  Besides being on the King’s land, which was always patrolled, the grotto was protected by the waterfall in front of its entrance.  He dismounted, secured the horse, and silently slid through the falling waters.

The inside of the grotto was filled with iridescent color as the crystals glowed and pulsated.  The first thing Agorus noted was that the glow was less than the last time he had visited, and it made him instantly suspicious.  Looking closer, he discerned that a handful of crystals had been removed from their rocky bed, and not by him.  A set of large footprints curled around the grotto and went out through the waterfall.  He decided to wait to see if the thief would return.

His wait was not long; a few moments later, a woodland troll passed through the falls into the grotto.

“Who are you to steal the King’s property?” shouted Agorus.

“As an ancient dweller of the forest, anything in it is mine!” replied the troll.

“No it isn’t, and furthermore you will face the King’s justice.”

They grappled momentarily, when almost instantly, the troll disappeared.

Agorus ran to his steed and heading back to Althorn, knowing he needed to consult with the King’s magician to permanently handle the troll’s magic.

Word count: 298
© Copyright 2010 C. William White (notarboca at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657897-Encounter-with-the-Unwanted