*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657952-You-and-we-are-now-apart
by shnarf
Rated: · Fiction · Other · #1657952
My entry for the weekly flash fiction
When Penny woke shivering on Thursday morning, the first thought that crossed her mind was that she must have left a window open. The bedroom curtains, however, stood statue still, frozen in the frenzy of being flung shut the night before. The morning sunshine fought its way through the gaps and fell lazily on the stark wooden floorboards.

She pulled the duvet over her head in an attempt to dull the beginnings of a headache. However, there was barely enough time to comprehend the magnitude of what had happened when a loud bang erupted from downstairs.

Every muscle snapped into alert mode, her heart thumping hard against her ribs as her ears scanned the silence… Nothing. Relaxing slightly, Penny mumbled to herself about how this house, her parents old house, had always made scary noises when
         
BANG!
         
There was no denying it this time. Penny sprang out of bed with the agility of a walrus and scrambled to the hallway. “WHO’S THERE?!” she shrieked into the gloomy darkness. No morning sunlight here, the windows were too thick with grime. “I’VE GOT A GUN!” she added, for good measure.
         
“Penny?” came a timid reply. “Is that you?” and at the foot of the stairs, a tiny face emerged from the darkness.
         
“Sam!” gasped Penny, rushing down the stairs and scooping up the little boy. They hugged for a moment for Penny had always been very fond of Sam. “What on Earth are you doing in my house?” She said, setting the boy back on his feet.
         
“I came to give you something,” said Sam, and Penny noticed he was gripping a piece of crumpled paper. “It’s from Richie…” he added solemnly.
         
“I…” Penny stammered. “I don’t understand… how…”
         
“He wrote it a while ago, just after you left,” said Sam. “Never finished it, so never sent it.”
         
Taking the piece of paper, Penny unfolded it carefully. There was no mistaking Richie’s untidy scribbles. She bit back a tear as she read.

For Penelope:

No words can describe what you mean to me, you will forever live in my heart.
And though I cannot touch you, you and we are now apart....

My attempt at a love poem *Smile*
I miss you Penny, you aren’t returning my calls and I’m worried you meant what you said. I will do anything to

The last part of the letter was full of deletions and editions which Penny couldn’t read. She didn’t need to. Once she was done trying to decipher the rest, she glanced back at the little boy. He was staring at her, waiting.

“Thank you,” she finally managed to whisper. “This means a lot to me.” The boy smiled weakly.

“Ok, well…” began Sam, filling the awkward silence.

“Yes,” replied Penny.

“I better go,” he turned and stumbled back through the darkness towards the back door.

“Sam?” called Penny, once he’d reached the door. The boy turned and looked back. “I’ll see you tomorrow, sweety.”

Sam’s smile was bigger now. “Promise to sit next to me?”

Word Count: 500
© Copyright 2010 shnarf (odsox87 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657952-You-and-we-are-now-apart