*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1658399-Untitled-Novel-Chapter-One
by jen
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1658399
This is a test beginning of a novel about a mercenary living 100 years from now.


Avery has always made enemies easily. She just seems to end up in the middle of the worst possible situation. Whether she was involved or not, she was the one blamed. Serving tables at one of her many part time jobs, Avery was attacked… again.
“I’m sorry we’re out of Pecan pi--”
Dazed Avery found herself on the ground. Turning to look behind her, she wasn’t surprised to see two thuggish men. Half annoyed she stood up slowly.
“Can we take this outside? Jobs are hard to find these days.”
The big boy to the right threw the first punch. Ducking fast, she grabbed a tray to use as a shield. Lefty tried to get sneak to the side. Swinging the tray as hard as she could, brought it to his face. He stumbled back holding a bloody mouth. Avery picked up a fork in the confusion. Armed with a food tray and fork, she waited for their next move.
The customers were attempting to leave, some were starting to panic. The manager watched with his mouth hanging open. Big boy thru a few more power punches. Avery dodged quickly and backed up. Even being hit once with those punches would probably knock her out. After he tied himself out she thru the fork hard catching him in the ear and hit him in the head with the tray. Lefty came back for more, he got a quick punch in the face, breaking his nose and a knee to the groin. He dropped to the ground holding himself. It was just big boy now. A guy his size would take forever to knock down. Avery ran back to the kitchen to the employees lounge. Big boy chased after her. She rummaged through her cubby. Big boy landed a punch. Avery fell, momentarily stunned. Before she was kicked to death Avery had enough sense left to turn and point. Big boy stopped mid kick as she cocked the gun.
“If you broke something, you're dead or whoever the hell hired you.”
The manager ran back and stopped in the doorway, staring at the gun. “The city squad will be here soon.”
“Thanks Mark.” Avery said through gritted teeth. The city squad aren’t bad per se, but they don’t take to kindly to mercenaries causing public trouble. Especially one without a agency that pays the squad to ’ignore’ situations like this.
Somewhat recovered, Avery tied big boy up and stashed her gun away. Mark was in the hallway.
“Listen Mark…”
He waved a hand. “I don’t want to hear it. It’s a tough world out there, we all have to do things we aren’t proud off. He was causing trouble, made some inappropriate remarks to you. I tried to make him leave and things got ugly.”
Avery looked at him surprised, she was expecting to get fired and maybe arrested. Not this.
“Mark its very kind of you but I really can't ask you to lie for me.”
He smiled knowingly. “You’re the best waitress I’ve got, I don’t want to lose you because of some boyfriend or whatever.”
He patted he on the shoulder and walked back up the front. Avery leaned against the wall, worried. The last thing she needed was an over protective boss who had a crush on her. Something like this would end up very ugly.
She walked up to the front after a few minutes. The city squad has just walked into the diner. Mark went to great them followed by Avery.
“So what exactly happened here?”
“Well sirs--.”
Avery cut Mark off. “My name is Avery Raine. I’m a private mercenary and it seems that two men were hired to teach me some kind of lesson. I probably pissed off the wrong people but it comes with the job I suppose.”
“Where are the perpetrators?” One asked.
“I’ll show you.” Mark gave her a ‘I need to speak to you later’ look.
“Miss Raine, I’ll need to see your License. You said you’re a private mercenary?”
“Yes” She pulled a thin chain that was hidden beneath her work uniform and gave in to the squad men. He clipped a pda from his belt and scanned her license it. He read something for a while then returned it back to his belt.
“No warrants for you but were still going to have to take you to headquarters.”
Avery looked hard at the man, he seemed a little new so maybe she could get out of this. Spending a night in jail was not in her plan for tonight.
“Come on, I’m the best behaved mercenary in the city. I don’t go around causing mayhem for you boys like say Lucian,” She smiled sweetly. “I cant help it if hit men are called to get me every other week. I guess I just have bad luck is all.”
“Save the flattery Avery.” Came a gruff voice behind me. “Your no damsel in distress. I saw that mess you left behind last night.”
“That ’mess’ was contracted. If you want who was behind it, you are welcomed to buy the contract from me.”
He looked exasperated. “Ryan, take her to the car.”
He put a hand on her shoulder.
“Can I at least change, I have a reputation to upkeep.”
“Make it fast.”
She ran in the back only to bump into Mark. He was red in the face and pulled Avery aside.
“They let those bastards go,” He slumped into a chair and put his face into his hands. “I always though they were here to help. Now I see its all for the money.”
“Like everything else and since I don’t bribe the squad, I get taken down and thrown in jail for the night. Public mayhem without a contract or some such bull.”
She walked over to her cubby and started to pulled out her belongings. She went to change, Mark was still there when she came back out.
“I should probably quit. If one knows I work here then they all know. I don’t want to cause trouble here if more hits are put on me.”
“I understand but you're welcome to stay.”
She smiled and left.






© Copyright 2010 jen (jen66 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1658399-Untitled-Novel-Chapter-One