*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1659118-Knee-High-View
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1659118
What the world seems like to a 4 year old girl living in India. Her take on life and love
My name is- no that isn't important. What is important to this story is the Anand family. The youngest member in particular, Anna. This is her version of the everyday and not-so-everyday things that goes around her, but not necessarily because of her. Where do i start? Ah yes, it was the summer of some early year in the 21st Century...But before that, let me give you a brief intro to all the members of the family. Mr. Sanjay Anand- head of the household, a Neurosurgeon ( which in other words, means- KACHING!) and a well, lets say, "busy" person. After all, for someone who is called into look at blood and brains ( not necessarily in that order) "busy" is a light term. Next would be the lady of the household, Mrs. Milly Anand. Now what would you think would be the perfect foil to the package of a Neurosurgeon? A psychiatrist of course! It certainly makes sense too! If you can't treat a patient's mind with psycho-babble, there's always the option of cleansing his brains! And the business always stays within the family! But more about Mrs. Anand, well, to me she came off as a rather nervous woman, always worrying about her children and analyzing them every few minutes, for a nervous breakdown! But then who could blame her? The "Super Mom" tag is a heavy one to bear, after all. Then there's Taffy, the slightly eccentric Granny, who was quite a rebel i her younger days. The slightly askew cataract eyes, the "hippie" clothing and the disconnected talk made her a favourite with the children, but not necessarily so with their mother. Needless to say, Taffy was most certainly not into the Civil Disobedience Movement for the freedom of the country, but rather because it was fun to disobey somebody! And then of course there is Suhail, Anna's 10 year old elder brother. As the Day is bright, so the Night is dark, and this was the very case of comparison between brother and sister. Suhail was as introverted as Anna was extroverted, as obedient as Anna was mischievous but just as loving towards Anna as she was to him, despite the daily World Wars raging over the issue of those coveted items in the living room- TV and REMOTE CONTROL. This is particularly the story of the things that Anna herself unravelled to me, or maybe for me, for it healed me much faster, and better than what her parents would have tried to do...

I was staying with the Anand's as an in-house patient. I didn't really like it there, mostly because I was being rather anti-social at that phase in my life. My love life was something straight out of a Bollywood romantic drama gone haywire and my professional life was in turmoil following my perfectionist outlook on life. I was obsessing about every little thing that it ended up looking like I would most certainly come down with OCD. That was when my Boss and my colleagues felt it was the last straw and took me to the Anand's. I appreciate that they thought it was for my best that i seek help, but they would have been much wealthier had they just let me talk to the youngest in the family for a day.
© Copyright 2010 Sukanya (sukanya_u at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1659118-Knee-High-View