*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1660170-Happyworld
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1660170
A young boy creates a safe place to hide.
         Justin closed his eyes to the pain. It was the same every Saturday when Gramps babysat him. Gramps would grumble to Justin's mother about having to watch his grandson, but in the end he always lost the half-hearted argument. He really did want to be alone with Justin to "watch" him.

         Usually Gramps was more gentle. He did not want to leave any evidence of what he was doing to his grandson. It would not have mattered. Justin was too terrified and ashamed to breathe a word of it.

         Think happy, think happy, Justin cried to himself. He needed to escape; to be in the safe world.





         "Hiya Justin," Harry the Hippo said to Justin. The little boy opened his eyes to the world he knew to be imaginary, but real enough to keep him sane.

         "Harry! I am so glad to see you!" Justin exclaimed. Harry was his Happyworld friend. He always knew the right things to say to make Justin smile.

         "They are having a party at the castle, today," Harry said with a smile that showed all four of his giant teeth. "The queen is returning early."

         "A party! Great fun, Harry. Can I ride your back there?" he asked the giant mammal.

         "Hop on, buddy," the hippo encouraged as he stooped low for Justin to climb up. He could feel the hippo's hot breath on him as he mounted.



         The pain was back. His grandfather's labored breath rasped in his ears like fingernails raked across a chalkboard. Think happy. Think happy he began the cadence in his head again.





         Justin's little body did not burden the giant creature at all and their gait was sure and steady. Within moments, the hippo was at the castle moat. The door was shut up tight as a vault.

         "Who goes there?" called a voice from the turret above the bridge.

         "It's me, Prince Justin!" Justin called out. Although his voice sounded tiny, the guard had no problem hearing it.

         "Greetings, Sire!" the guard called down. Almost immediately, the drawbridge descended across the moat and crashed down on the ground.







         The couch slammed against the wall. His reverie was broken by the crash. Gramps ignored it, his breathing had even more of a rail as he got more excited. The pain was immense.

Think happy. Think happy





         The queen had arrived. Justin greeted her with a smile and a running embrace. She scooped him up in her arms and held him out for her perusal. He looked into the face of his real mother, but that was all the comparison there was. Where his mother was weak, the queen was strong. Where his mother feared Gramps, the queen would have him slain. His mother loved him because he was her child. The queen loved him fiercely as an extension of her own soul.

         "I have a quest for you today, my young prince," she said and her smile took on a look of seriousness.

         "I will not fail, my queen," Justin answered and he meant it. He would do anything for this regal woman.

         She smiled again and released Justin from her grasp. She moved aside and Justin saw she was not alone on the throne's dais. A boy that looked just like him sat there, a hollow gaze dominated his face. He just stared straight ahead at nothing Justin could discern.

         "What's wrong with him?" Justin asked.

         "He has been hurt, grievously. I need you to take him home. I need you to give him your strength, young prince," she pulled Justin's gaze back to her by gently pulling his chin. "You and he must join together to fight the evil that has injured him and threatens to destroy you. Do you understand?"

         "Yes, I think I do," Justin replied. Tears pooled in his eyes as he pondered the task. This is Happyworld. Why is this in Happyworld? he wondered to himself.

         "You must bring him back the way you came. Outside the castle, you will find a red wagon that belongs to this little boy. I have had it attached to Harry to pull you back. Go at once and be swift. When the time comes, I will be there to aid you on this quest."

         The tears flowed freely from Prince Justin, now.





         The rasps had stopped. The pain was less sharp, but it was still there. Justin closed his eyes again and muttered his mantra. This time, he spoke the words aloud.

         "Think happy. Think happy."







         The world dissolved behind him. Each step he took cause one more step of Happyworld to disappear. Broken Justin just stared ahead, oblivious.

They came to the place where he had entered Happyworld. Harry turned to him with a grim expression on his face.

         "You must merge, now. The two Justins must become one," the big hippo stated. "I will miss you, Prince Justin, but I will always remain a part of you deep in your heart. Be brave and be strong for Broken Justin."

         The prince dismounted and walked to the wagon. He touched hands with his alter self and the boy's stare broke for the first time. The profound unhappiness in his eyes caused the prince to pause.

         "I am hear, young prince," the queen's voice resounded in the air around them. The two boys suddenly began to melt into each other until only one Justin remained. Happyworld collapsed around him and then was suddenly gone.





         Justin opened his eyes and felt strong. Not physically, but emotionally. He heard nothing. He turned and saw his half naked grandfather on the ground, eyes staring dead up to the ceiling. His hand clutched at his gray haired chest. A pounding at the door drew his attention.

         When he unlocked and opened the door, his mother was there. Two policeman and two EMTs trailed after her when she entered and they went to his grandfather's corpse as Justin and his mother entwined in a fierce embrace.



word count:994
© Copyright 2010 TheGary (thegary at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1660170-Happyworld