*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1663308-Just-a-Typical-Day
Rated: E · Other · History · #1663308
A typical day for a medival girl.
It was a typical day.

I looked up from my sleep, long brown eyelashes fluttering against my soft cheeks. I glanced around the dusty floor, seeing the thick trees all around myself, The small cluster of woods around where I had decided to sleep for the night. The tightly packed trees gave the illusion the forest went on for a long stretch, when in fact there was only a small stretch between me and the little village I worked in and, on the other side, the opening to the royal land.

Obviously not the chosen one to go to my back side, the castle, I set off through the tightly knit line of trees, gripping a branch and pushing it from my face. I continued weaving through the packed trees. Luckily, my short, practical blonde hair didn't catch in any branches, despite its thickness and abundant ringlets.

I couldn't ignore the jingle of the coins I had received last night at the princesses ball. I hadn't actually been into the dancing room, but the kitchen was more than I had ever seen in my life. I had glanced out, seeing all the dresses and handsome young men. I had worked in the kitchen, no matter the rough snow storm I had to fight through to get back to my home.

Now I could use those coins for a more glorious feast, like a whole chicken leg and a cob of corn.. Or a new dress. The one I wore now was this soft beige color, thin like a summer frock and not helping much as the Summer was turning to Fall.

A last thin branch was flung from my face, the small village I was accumstomed to in front of me. The light dusty ground made my feet feel as dry as well... that ground. In front of me sat the little village, all its citizens gathered in their usual way. The baker held a large plate of bread, shoving it in numerous peoples face. The perfect smells wafted around my nose, tempting me in. My eyes closed, leaning in on the balls of my feet, breathing in the scents. Again I opened my eyes, looking around. The little dress shop. I still had a small time before work and this dress shop had everything I wanted.

On it's Little raised pedestal, this shop was one step above the rest of the village. The owner was a former model from France and knew everything there was to know. She even gave corsets, though I never could use one, with how much activity I went through every day.

I padded into the frilly little blue-and-white shop with its slatted windows, tipped perfectly to allow the sunshine to feebly shine in, giving the room a sweet, chipper lighting. Two long racks lay along the white walls, filled with frilly to plain plaid dresses. At the front of the little store stood a woman of about 30, long blonde hair hanging down her shoulders, long lashes even fuller than my own surprising one. I smiled, attempting to look pretty with my dirt-smudged face,

"Hello Madame" I murmured, feeling revealed and small in the shop, the only one standing in the middle of the shop, with no protection. She smiled back, her small hands gripping one another

"What can I do for you....?"

"Amber"

"AH, yes! What can I do for you, Amber?"

"I'd like a new dress. Something pretty, but nothing too expensive"

"I have the perfect one!" The young lady padded to one of the racks, pulling out a beautiful dress. It had a few petticoats. Good for warmth, I thought, not just to made hips look fuller. It was a deep red color, looping golden threading and such dancing over the breast. I was sure my eyes were shining with happiness.

"I'll pick it up after work" I said happily. "I think I'll have the money..." I muttered. I was being payed tonight, soo...

She smiled "Of course"

I grinned widely, beginning to pad out the door. As I began to leave, I caught sight of myself in the mirror. I took a couple minutes looking over myself. I could be perceived as pretty, when washed and plucked and brushed. My hair could be thick and beautiful, reaching a little past my shoulders when wettened slightly. My bust and hips were full, as were my pink lips. Most of my long legs stuck out from the skimpy dress I had owned for years. But under my scraggly, bitten fingernails laid dirt, and my face was smeared with dirt. The new dress, along with a bath, would do me well.

But suddenly, I saw someone who needed it more. Behind me, a young woman, maybe 14, a year younger than me, stood, observing herself in the shiny surface of the mirror. Her hair was long and brown, tangled as if a literal rats nest. Her face had a long cut, scabbing over, the thin layer of dirt making her face appear horrible. Her body was pretty full for someone young, and I was slightly jealous, though my curves were nothing to scorn at. her hands seemed gnarled and worn, blood seeping from them. Her dress was little more than a corset, a pair of torn and dirty bloomers shown. She needed it more.

"Madame." I said softly, my voice cracking. She padded over, glancing at the child. I pulled the coins from my pocket, knowing it was slightly more than the dress cost.

"Give the child a bath and a couple new dresses to wear." I pleaded. She nodded slowly

"Of course" She smiled slightly, little laugh lines showing. I watched as she spoke to the child, gesturing to me. The child gasped, running up to me and hugging me tightly

"Thank you" She whispered. I smiled slightly , running my hand down her horrible hair.

"Don't mention it." I winked to her, wriggling from her grasp and rushing out the door. My long legs pumped viciously, attempting to run quickly. Finnally, I was in a broken-down, ruinous building. A tall, almost evil looking man sat in the middle, a little goatee sticking from his pale chin. The scent of rats echoed around. In the walls of the little circular building were many tall tunnels, big enough for a person to crawl in, winding into the ground. As I enterred, he tossed me a cage, a fat bag, a jar of mashed up, sweet smelling goop and a small bag of beef fat. He pointed to a tunnel, and I slouched, going to do my job as rat cleaner and bile sweeper. I climbed into one of the dirt tunnels, beginning to crawl through the dirty underground area. Eventually I came to a spot where I could smell feces. I came to the spot, scooping up the large chunks into the empty bag. I smothered some of the lavender-smelling goo on it, so they wouldn't have a bad smelling out house, beginning to crawl out normally. I lay the cage down, laying down some beef fat on the far side of the cage.

Soon after, a rat rushed in, munching up the poisonous fat, swallowing it whole. I shuddered, watching the little mammal jerk uncontrollably. Soon enough, it was dead. I shuddered slightly, feeling bad for the rodent. But hey, people needed hygine. I didn't want to carry the rat like most people did, so I set off for the ruined building. Eventually I crawled in, pouring the excrement onto the floor and the rat tossed into a large, rotting pile.

Yup, just a typical day for every teenage girl.
© Copyright 2010 The4clansofkatz (the4clans at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1663308-Just-a-Typical-Day