*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664180-The-Summer
Rated: · Short Story · Drama · #1664180
I wrote this for an english extention assignment. Yes for school. I got an A+


It all started that summer, when I saw her leaning against the big ever green tree with a book in her hand. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. She looked so delicate. It was late afternoon, at the lake. I wasn’t there for any particular reason, I tend to just loiter around this place, and I am a local after all.

She sat down, still leaning her back against the tree, scribbling words into her book. She had a white singlet and short boardies on. She had black rimmed sunglasses holding back her long light brown hair. I couldn’t just look at her any longer. I walked up casually and leant my shoulder against the other side of the tree and looked over to see what she was writing.



“The Summer”

“The lake laps the edge of the bank

My parents say to never look back

And the peace I used to hold

Has now shrivelled away in the cold

But I shall soak up the sunlight

And hold it through the dark nights

So maybe the valentines I never knew

The ones that would have never measure up to you,

Will stay out of my dreams,

And, maybe I’ll be free…..”



“Summer, huh?” I said.

She almost jumped a meter in the air.

“How long have you been standing there?!” She freaked.

“Long enough to read all of that...” I laughed and scratched the back of my head awkwardly.

She closed her book slowly and looked at me, as if she was thinking something. Then she stood up suddenly, pulling her book to her chest.

“Oh, ah, I’m sorry. Privacy, I get it…” I apologized.

She sighed and looked down towards the lake.

“So, uh, what’s your name?” I asked gently, looking down at my feet.

She smiled back, blushing.

“I’m Scarlett” She said.

“Well, it’s nice to meet you Scarlett, I’m Declan.” I took her hand bowed and kissed it softly.

She smiled innocently and giggled.

“Are you a local?” I asked.

“No, just on holidays.”

“Fair enough, who are you with?”

“Just my brother...and his girlfriend…. So I pretty much…” She paused.

“Get left out huh?” I finished her sentence.

“Yeh, basically.” She said sadly.

She sat back down crossing her legs and she stared out to the lake, now turning a strong orange, from the reflection of the setting sun. I sat down next to her, crossing my legs but pulling my knees up with my forearms. I looked at her face, without any fear of her looking back.

“Well, you can hang out with me, if you want too…. But you probably have something better to do than hang out with a shady guy like m--“I got cut off.

“No! That would be fun!” She spat out her words, in an attempt to get them out before I finished my sentence.

She looked at me, with a smile on her face, but tears in her eyes. I smiled back.

We exchanged numbers and hang out for a while. She smiled so beautify. I left for home, in my old white Ute. All I could think about was those bright tearful eyes.

The next day I met her back at the lake. She was wearing a pretty summer dress. It was white. Sitting down near the water, on the sand. It was raining softly. The sky looked tender. Like, if you touched the clouds they would shatter.

I ran down to her, sheltering my eyes from the sharp rain drops with my hand. When I got to her I crouched down.

“Why are you sitting in the rain?” I asked.

“Oh it’s raining…?” She said, bewildered.

I grabbed her wrists lightly and held her hands out to feel the rain drops on the palm of her hands. She looked at me. As if she was empty, thoughtless. Blank. I sat down on the sand.

“Scarlett, are you okay?” I whispered, in my breathless attempt to speak.

She nodded slightly, and it was quiet. All to be heard was the sound of the rain on the water and the wind in the trees. Then all of a sudden she smiled at me. Her smile was adorable. It was contagious enough to make me smile too. Smile in curiosity.

“What?” I said with a broad smile on my face.

Then she suddenly reached in and kissed me softly, with her hand on the side of my face. I closed my eyes and tingles went through me. I kissed her back. She was gentle and eager at the same time. She kissed me again. Butterflies fluttered around in my stomach. But when I leaned back and kissed her for the second time she pulled away. I opened my eyes. Her eyes looking straight into mine. I was stunned. It felt like she was searching my soul. She sighed.

“I have to go…” Her voice was silent, and if anyone else was around no one would have heard it.

“What… don’t go…” I said breathlessly. The taste of her sweet watermelon lipstick lingered on my lips.

She stood up tears dwelling in her beautiful green glassy eyes, and she started to walk away. Confused and upset I made an attempt to run and get up at the same time, and I half tripped over the sand, flicking it up behind me. I caught up and grabbed her hand.

“Scar, don’t go….please?” I begged.

She looked at me, tears spilling down her face. Then she handed me a piece of paper. That was the last I saw of the bright Scarlett. The piece of paper read, in small cursive curly writing:



“I don’t know you. But, I’ll miss you.

I didn’t spend much time with you, but I wont forget you.

Im sorry it has to be this way, im sorry it has to end like this.

But I need to go. I need to go before I get too involved in this.

Don’t forget me Declan….

Scarlett. x”

© Copyright 2010 Gabster725 (gabster725 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664180-The-Summer