*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664718-Sand-Dollars-from-Heaven
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by dwilli
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Inspirational · #1664718
Some times the loss of a loved one can open a door you never imagined was possible.
It was on a Saturday morning that you let go of life, or I should say that we let you go. We sat in the sterile room as the decision was made to let you go. I watched in utter silence as the machine that forced life into your lifeless body was unplugged. Your chest slowed and I cried as you took your last breath. The tears tumbled down my cheeks at an alarming rate. You were gone, never coming back to me. I waited so many weeks for you to open your soft brown eyes and smile at me the way you always had. I missed you, your touch, your smile, you, I missed you. You were gone and I was alone, in that room that I hated, that smelled of death and sadness. After your funeral I went to our beach, I needed to run. I needed to runaway from everyone and everything, it all reminded me of you. My heart ached so bad I wanted to rip it from my chest. Coronado, the place we met. I sat on the beach the first day I arrived and remembered our time together there, on that beach. I stayed until there was no more light from the sun. Just the warm glow of the moon and the glistening waves on the sand. The second day I cried, I cried until the tears would no longer come. And again I stayed there on our beach until there was no more light from the sun. The third day I walked down to the water in the early morning before the sun showed itself. I sat there on our beach and let the soft cool waves lap at my toes. Waiting for the sun to show I asked for a sign, a sign that you were there. There with me on our beach! I watched as the waves turned a soft golden glitter as the sun started to peek through. That's when it happened! The first sand dollar tumbled onto my toes, then another and another. Six, seven, and on and on, sand dollars surrounding my toes. I stood and watched as they kept coming. Thirty three, thirty three sand dollars clutching to my toes in the golden sand. Thirty three, your lucky number! I knew it was you! I knew you were there with me on our beach. I knew you would always be with me!
© Copyright 2010 dwilli (dwilli at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664718-Sand-Dollars-from-Heaven