*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665138-Escape-from-the-Shadow-World
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1665138
Will Ralden and Chaloma escape the dragon?
             
  Prompt:  Write a story that includes the words: bridge, flower, shadow.  300 words


**************************************************************************************************



Ralden shuddered.  Gray clouds drained the feeble sun’s strength.  Sulphur fumes rose above the desolate ground.  He and Chaloma crouched behind a scorched tree when the massive dragon passed overhead with bloodcurdling cries, flapping its claw-tipped wings. 

He held Chaloma’s hand.  “It didn’t see us.”

Chaloma remained silent.

“Don’t worry.  We’ll make it home from this Shadow World.”  He pushed a strand of chestnut hair behind her ears. 

She raised her eyes. “But we’ve been in this monochrome world forever.”

He wiped her tears away.  “Remember the hag’s story?  All we need to go home is just a spot of color.”

Chaloma hung her head.  “But we’ve looked everywhere.” 

He lifted her chin to read her eyes.  They widened with horror.

“The dragon!” 

The wind from the dragon’s wings knocked them over.  The nauseating stench from its breath made Ralden almost vomit.  Chaloma clamped her hand to her mouth.  His heart pounded as he drug her between huge rocks and smouldering remnants of trees.  Chaloma stumbled and fell on the sand.  He had to protect her, so he bent over, putting his body between hers and the flying menace.  The dragon made its pass, blotting out the struggling light of the sun.  Before the winged creature could grab them in its powerful maw, a giant lizard emerged from underground, knocking a huge boulder out of its way, and bit the dragon’s neck, slinging it around in circles.

“Look!” Chaloma pointed, ignoring the fighting monsters, “a purple tulip with green leaves!"

“You found the key:  the bridge from the Shadow World!”  Holding her hand tight, Ralden bent over and picked the flower. 

He shivered from the unexpected cold, opened his eyes, and recognized the oak tree where they had carved their initials one morning on the way to school. 

“We’re home.”

© Copyright 2010 Tadpole1 (tadpole1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665138-Escape-from-the-Shadow-World