*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665405-PARADOX---Chapter-43
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1665405
Action/Adventure - A genre mix like National Treasure and Indiana Jones
Chapter 43

May 9, 2012 – La Cascada Hotel San Carlos de Bariloche – Argentina




The aging voice on the phone took a deep breath and let it out with a sudden whoosh of air. It was a good thirty seconds before he spoke. “Doctor Stiehl and Colonel Dorbec are totally incompetent. The Primary now has both jewels. This is completely unacceptable.”

“They are better than we thought, Your Immanence,” Cencio whispered into the cell phone. He carefully watched the expression on Dom’s face as the Cardinal maintained another lengthy silence. The Cardinal finally replied. “What is their next objective?”

“They have split their resources. One team is going to Isla Wickham in Chile, the other to McMurdo Base in Antartica. The goal of the second team is to find the remnants of the old British base at Maudheim and investigate.”

“You will accompany them to Antarctica, Cencio. Doctor Prestano, I am requesting that you return to Italia. Your services in this endeavor are no longer needed.”

“I am familiar to the members of the Team,” Dom hesitantly stated. “They have placed their trust in me and I do feel that I can be of service to Your Immanence.”

“Your service is best needed elsewhere. Cencio will see to the, shall we say, disposition of the teams. Dom, you will return home immediately.”

Dom knew that it was an order and not a request. He also knew that something wasn’t quite right. The smirk on Cencio’s face told him much more was going on than he was being told.

“What of Bishop Khan and the Alpha Cell?” Cencio asked, immediately aware that he had blundered when he saw the heightened interest on Dom’s face.

“I will contact you later with instructions,” the Cardinal angrily replied, ending the conversation.

Dom closed his cell phone and stared at Cencio. The smirk on Cencio’s face had been replaced with one of disdain and anger. He waited patiently for the seminarian to offer an explanation.

“You have been directed to return to Italia. I suggest you start making arrangements immediately.”

“Bishop Kahn, and an Alpha Cell?” Dom questioned. “What in the hell is that all about? What do they have to do with Church business? In fact, who in hell are they?”

“Church business!” Cencio spat. “You fool. This goes far beyond the Church. The Church has nothing to do with what is going on. You have been ordered by your benefactor to terminate your part in this mission, I suggest you do so, or."

“Or what?” Dom whispered.

Cencio stared back with an evil ruthless look. Dom could see the madness in his eyes. A look that told him that this man was not what he pretended to be, that the mission he was on was not what the Cardinal had described. He had been deceived and played like a fool.

“Who are you people?” he demanded.

“The only thing you need to know is that His Imminence has ordered you to leave this place. Now!” Cencio grabbed his jacket off the back of a chair and stormed from the room. He had blundered. He would pay for it. His Imminence had a great fondness for Doctor Prestano, now he would have to be eliminated along with the others. Not only that, his connection to the team members was compromised. That is, unless Prestano followed the Cardinal’s orders and returned to Italy, which he somehow doubted, for the man was too honorable. There was no place in The Brotherhood for men like Prestano. He would wait and see the outcome of his stupid blunder.

Dom sat back heavily into a plush chair. His mind was in turmoil. Had his benefactor, the man he thought of as a father, betrayed him? There could be no other answer. He had seen the murderous look in Cencio’s eyes. Am I to be killed? He suddenly realized he had no weapon with which to protect himself.

If I do not follow orders and return to Italy, what will happen? He instinctively knew the answer. This affair was something far beyond his scope to deal with. Nazis, Secret Societies, Special Forces, Commandos, The Cell, conspiracies, murder, kidnapping, God only knew what else was going on.

If I do not leave for Italy, what will become of my friends? He knew the answer to that before the thought was even finished. Dom grabbed the closest bottle of wine and took a long lengthy drink. He was not fearful of anything or anyone, but this situation frightened him. There were far too many variables, too many hidden agendas. He had a simple choice, Monday and his Team, or a quiet trip back to Italy.

He knew that if he flew back to Italy, he would never be able to live with himself. He grabbed the bottle of wine off the table, picked up another for good measure, and headed for Monday’s room.

The Cardinal picked up his phone and punched in a series of well-protected numbers. When a receptionist answered the phone the Cardinal spoke. “The President please.”

© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665405-PARADOX---Chapter-43