*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666706-A-Life-for-a-Life-1st-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Cultural · #1666706
Guenther could make the clock come back to life...
The old German clockmaker adjusted his small rimmed glasses to the end of his nose, while he poked at a tiny spring inside an antique Engström. Gunther concentrated so much that he did not notice the door opening, nor the bell ringing. A few footfalls was actually what he noticed.

“Hello?” a voiced called. No response. “Hello?” The second hello roused Gunther and he set his tools down and proceeded to the front of the store. His thick German accent often took customers aback, but Marta was not able to attend to them today.

“Guten Morgan,” Guenther chimed.

“Ohhh… Uh. Gutan Moorg…uh… to you too.” A young man of about 23, answered back.

“You do not speak Ger’man?”

“Oh, no. My name is Brady. Is this a clock store? I mean. Do you fix them?”

“Ya, it is. Vat do you vant? Do you have a clock vich needs vixen?”

“Yes. I have a clock that needs fixing.” Brady turned around and reached into a paper grocery bag resting on the floor. He pulled out a Ketterer cuckoo clock.

“Vell vat do vee have ere?” Guenther intoned.

“It’s my grandmother’s.”

“Ahhh, vee vill take gud care of it.”

“So, you can fix it?” Brady said half-excited. “I’ve been all over the city.”

“Yeeees.” Guenther’s eyes fixated on the prize timepiece. “I belief I can bring it bach to life.”

Guenther worked until midnight upon the exquisite clock, but made little headway in fixing it -- though this only served to double his resolve. Finally, he was ready. He attached the mechanism to Marta, who lay prostrate on the table. “Wit a little more life, it vill vork again!” He shouted.

The blood flowed through the tube as it entered the clock. Marta’s life ebbed away, and the clock began ticking…


300 Words
Flash Story Must contain: Midnight, Double, Antique
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666706-A-Life-for-a-Life-1st-Place