*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666935-PARADOX---Chapter-46
Rated: E · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1666935
Action/Adventure - A genre mix like National Treasure and Indiana Jones
Chapter 46

May 9, 2012 – The White House – Washington D.C.




““I agree, Your Imminence,” the President whispered. “Events have gotten completely out of hand. I was hoping that Doctor Stiehl and his Team would be able to recover the jewels, but it seems as if The Principal has out manuevered him.”

“He may still lead us to the main base of The Principal,” the Cardinal mused. “If The Principal is allowed to use the power source now in his possession, our plan will be ruined. Our Alpha Cell will continue to shadow Stiehl.”

The president rubbed his tired eyes, irritated at Doctor Stiehl’s failure. “How much time do we have before The Principal can put his plans into operation?”

“Six months, possibly less.”

“And you are certain that the plan that we discussed is the ultimate aim of The Principal?”

The Cardinal paused in his reply. He was not accustomed to being second-guessed by anyone, especially someone he helped to place into a position of great great power. “Their goal has not changed, but I believe we must now make alternate plans of our own. I am referring to the two items in your possession.”

The President sat up straighter in his seat when the words came over the line, his fatigue replaced by a jolt of adrenalin. The two jewels in possession of the United States would place The Brotherhood on an even par with The Principal. It was, however, the plan of last resort.

“They are more closely guarded than the bullion in Fort Knox,” The President finally replied. “Three signatures and scans are needed to remove the objects from their secure location, Mine, the Speaker of the House, and the Secretary of Defense. The Secretary is not one of us.”

“Are you implying that the leader of the free world cannot get his hands on two small items?”

“No, Your Imminence.”

“Then make it so! The Secretary is expendible.”

“When must our scientists have the items?”

“Time is against us,” The Cardinal emphasized. “They must be delivered immediately. If Doctor Stiehl cannot lead us to The Principal so we can eleminate that threat, we must counter with our own solution.”

“He has failed us so far.”

“Doctor Stiehl is in love, Mr. President. A man in love can accomplish the impossible. He will find The Principal and through him, we will be in a position to strike. I think we need to send him a message though. The mercenary, Colonel Dorbec, also failed us. It is my understanding that the teams have separated. Doctor Stiehl’s best friend and Dorbec are searching in a separate area. Their demise may give Stiehl the anger he needs to move more rapidly. I will arrange it.”

The Cardinal hung up leaving the President with his own dark thoughts. On top of everything else, he had a General Election to win in November, his party was running behind, and the Cardinal was asking far too much from him. A few minutes later he asked his secretary to get the Speaker of the House on his secure line.

© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666935-PARADOX---Chapter-46