*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1667284-Silvermist-cove
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1667284
This is chapter 2 of my story, and would like reviews and thoughts please!
Chapter Two


Mid June Two years later
             Cole had never been as happy as he was today. To finally set foot on the cove again his home. The first thing he was going to do, when he could get away from the elders, was go see Brenna.
             He had been in for a shock when he returned to the den two years ago, after letting the love of his life go. He found out he was to leave immediately with the elders. They told him they were taking him with them on their scouting trip. A trip that they went on every year, searching for abandoned wolves in need of a home, while visiting nearby packs.          Their plan was to get Cole off the cove, and give him time to heal, or so they said. Their real goal, as Cole found out later, was to find him a mate to bring back to the den. So Cole had played their game, but refused every female they brought before him. No matter how beautiful they were, none of them held a candle to his Brenna. So the elders extended their normal six-month trip by a year and a half. Cole was furious, knowing they did this on purpose, but what could he do? He couldn’t just leave them and return to the cove. He would’ve been, severely punished for doing that. Although they couldn’t stop him from dreaming about her every night and biding his time until he could come back to her. The elders purposely kept him away longer than normal; Cole just hoped Brenna wasn’t too upset with him.
             Arriving back at their human homes, Cole and the elders entered Circe’s home. She was the packs elderly shaman, and had been for many years. They greeted her and after a hot cup of coffee and some small talk about their journey, they all entered her pantry. Towards the back of the room, they stood on a platform near a fake wall loaded with Circe’s preserves. They lined up on it as if they were entering an elevator. Circe pushed a button and the floor and fake wall began to lower leaving above them another floor and wall of preserves.
             When the platform stopped, they were underneath their human homes and entering the communal den. The wolves had all their houses above lined in a row, side by side. The den was long enough in length that they could access it from anyone of the houses above.
    Most of the pack was here already. They were anxious to see everyone again, and hear of their adventures. Not everyone ventured off the cove. That was their preference, but they still loved to hear about the outside world, off the cove.
    After greeting everyone, the elders took their seats in the common room, and waited for everyone else to do the same. The elders consisted of three members, Randulf, Meiran, and Marrock. Randulf was the eldest; he lived on this cove for over eighty-three years now. Meiran who was next had a great, great grandfather who started the pack here many years ago. The last one and youngest of the three was Marrock, he always tried to be hip with all the members, and had actually tried to help Cole plead his case two years ago.
    The meeting began, and Cole was getting more and more anxious to get to Brenna. Michael who sat next to him could see his friend’s impatience. He put his hand on Cole’s shoulder, and gave him a pat. Letting him know it would be over soon enough, and it was about an hour later.
    Cole rose from his seat and before he could slip away, his father stopped him.
    “Welcome home son”, Samuel said and gave him a hug.
    Cole hid his disappointment. As anxious as he was to get to Brenna, he could not show any disrespect to his father.
    “Hello father, how are you?”
    Bianca, Samuel’s wife, and Cole’s step-mom came up beside them, and kissed Cole’s cheek.
    “Hello Bianca,” Cole said warmly. Cole had loved his birth mother dearly, but he also held a special place in his heart for Bianca. She had always treated Cole as one of her own and never labeled him as a stepchild. She welcomed him in with open arms and he would never forget that.
    She was a beautiful woman. Shoulder length blond hair that framed her oval face, and never was there a lock out of place. Illuminating green eyes that were tender and loving, unless she became angry, this wasn’t often. Cole had actually witnessed her anger once when he watched his stepmother bring a full-grown man to his knees once with just one look. He had been bullying Cole about being a half-breed since he had moved here, and Bianca had happened to come upon them at the right time. She said not a word, but gave the man a look, one that she had not let Cole see, that sent him running. He never messed with Cole again.
    Cole felt a tug on his leg, bringing him out of the memory. He looked down and saw his half-brother Lucas holding up his hands.
    “Pick me up Cole.” 
    With a smile on his face, Cole bent down and scooped the youngster up. He couldn’t believe how much he had grown since Cole had left. He had missed so much in the last two years. Sparking his anger again, he sent a seething look towards the elders. Luckily, for Cole they weren’t paying attention at the time.
    Samuel stepped into his son’s line of view, “Now son”.
    Bianca touched Cole’s arm, bringing his eyes back to her. “Cole I’ve kept a journal of Lucas for you as well as videos. You may have not been here in person, but we kept you here in spirit.”
    Cole gave her a grateful smile and thanked her. He played with Lucas a few moments more, wondering what Brenna must be thinking of him. After all, he said he would fix this and then left with no word. She probably thought he had abandoned her. 
    Samuel sensing his son’s thoughts gently took Lucas from him. In hushed tones, he told him. “Go, while the elders are occupied, but don’t stay too long. They will get suspicious if they notice your absence.
    “Thank-you”, Cole said, and quietly slipped away.
    Bianca looked at her husband. “Do you think we should’ve told him?”
    Samuel shook his head. “No this is something he needs to find out on his own.” Looking over at Michael, who stood waiting for his command. “Go with him. If I know my son at all, he’ll need you.”
    Michael nodded, and left just as quietly. 
    Samuel hugged Lucas and looked around. His eyes came to rest on Marrock’s and stopped. He tried to get a read on the elder, but he couldn’t. Marrock may be young, but he was wise beyond his years. He knew how to keep people out when he needed to.
    Marrock nodded to him and turned back to his conversation. Samuel took a deep breath, not sure, if he had gotten away with helping his son or not. He knew he would find out soon enough though.  If Marrock suspected, he would bring it up to the other elders and Samuel was done for. Going against an elders ruling was punishable by death. A death he would gladly take in place of one of his sons.
    “Come on”, he said to Bianca as he kissed her forehead. “Let’s go home.”           

                            *  *  * 

    Brenna helped her older sisters Alex, short for Alexandra, and Sierra cleanup after breakfast, while her twin McKenna played with Brenna’s one and a half year old daughter.
             A smile came to her face when she heard that little giggle; it always warmed her heart to hear it. Lilly was her life and she wasn’t sure how she would’ve made it through these past couple of years without her. Lilly gave Brenna a new passion for life. Cole had left her and hadn’t been back or heard from since. Brenna had finally come to peace with that fact and had moved on.
    After that night though, she locked herself in her room and wallowed in her sorrow. Even her sisters and mother couldn’t bring her out of it. Then one day while she was lying in bed feeling sorry for herself for the millionth time, she felt a tiny kick. The feeling was magical to Brenna, like a butterfly fluttering inside her stomach.
    From that day on Brenna lived everyday to the fullest not only for her, but also for her little girl. And things only got better once she arrived. Everything was new and exciting, seeing Lilly’s first touch, amazed by her first smile. Watching her start to crawl, and then graduate to her first steps. She was a blessing to Brenna.
    When the kitchen was back in order, Brenna picked up her daughter and headed for the back door.
    Deidre, the sister’s mother, spoke up before she made it to the door. “Brenna I can watch her if you’re going out to the garden.”
    “That’s alright mom. Lilly loves going to the garden with me.”
    “I know she does,” Deidre said. Then having another thought she quickly added. “Oh don’t forget the sun. . .”
    Brenna waved the sun block above her head before her mother could finish.
    Laughing Deidre threw out one last thing. “Love you.”
    “Love you too”, Brenna said over her shoulder and walked out the door. She smiled to herself. Her mother always said love you when she thought she was pushing it with her daughters. Brenna didn’t mind though. Having Lilly was new to all of them, well maybe not her mother, but it had been a while since there was a little one in the house. Everyone tended to be a little overprotective at times, but it was heartfelt. Her family may be quirky at times, but they were hers and she loved them.
    Brenna set Lilly down on a blanket in the middle of the garden, while she began to weed it. Flowers were blooming, giving off their fragrant scent, making everything look and feel a little brighter.
    She actually hadn’t been back in hers until this year, Mother’s day to be exact. They were all outside enjoying the day when Lilly wandered in here. Brenna came in after her to bring her back out, and she threw a fit. And not just a normal temper tantrum, but a full-blown fit. She did not want to leave the garden; it was almost as if she was attracted to the garden. Now whenever they were outside, Lilly went right to it.
    Brenna decided if Lilly was going to be in here that she would clean it up for her. Memories surfaced here and there for Brenna whenever she was working in here, but she learned to suppress most of them. That was her past and Lilly was her future.
© Copyright 2010 M.A. Hoon (mahuhn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1667284-Silvermist-cove