*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1668023-Best-Friends-Cant-Be-Lovers-Can-They
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Friendship · #1668023
We had been best friends for ten years, and stupidly, I fell in love.
I took his hand gently.
"Come on!" I shouted over the loud music. "Dance with me!" I pulled him to the middle of the dance floor, people dancing perfectly in a circle around us.
He looked at me with those brown eyes of his and a thousand butterflies tickled my insides. I let a nervous, quiet, laugh slip through my teeth.
"Do you know how to two-step?" His silky smooth voice was raised above the music.
I shrugged my shoulders slightly and nodded 'yes', my nod turned into my head shaking 'no'. I laughed.
He grinned my favorite grin and a chuckle slipped through his lips. He took my hand and placed in on his shoulder, then placed his hand on my waist. Then he took my other hand in his. "Okay," He started, shifting his gaze from our hands to my eyes. "First you take two steps this way." I looked down and followed his movement slowly. "And then one step this way. And that's all it is, basically." I heard the smile in his voice. He took a deep breath. "Ready?"
I bit my lip and nodded, still watching my feet.
He squeezed my hand and we started moving together. We started out slow, moving faster every so often. I stepped on his feet a few times. But then I finally got the hang of it. He started to move even faster. I was keeping up until I lifted my eyes from our feet up at him, he was looking down at me, smiling. At that moment, I lost my footing and stumbled, almost falling to the ground. He caught me before I was even close to hitting the floor. We both started laughing. "You okay?" He asked.
I nodded quickly. "Yeah. Fine. Thanks." My words were wrapped in a giggle.
The music suddenly morphed into something slow. I dropped my hands from him quickly. He bit his lip as I had before and took my hand again, he pulled me against him and held me tight. "Where are you going?" He chuckled. I looked up at him, shock washed over my face. I couldn't speak. Was he really doing this? I stumbled over my words until something close to English came out in a whisper, "Nowhere?"
He laughed quietly. "Good." His lips connected with my forehead, my heart raced.
"What are you doing?" My words came out so low I wasn't sure he would hear me. My eyes never left his he dipped his head lower.
"What I should have done a long time ago." He breathed.
I thought my heart was going burst out of my ears and fly round the room.
"Nicholas?" I closed my eyes tightly. It was her. Great. She was looking for him.
He jerked his head up and let go of me. "Jeez," His voice wasn't higher than a whisper.
I looked at him with disbelief, I wasn't sure what was going on, or what to say. Was what I thought was going to happen just about to happen and she ruined it all?
Looking down at me, he gave a little shrug and mouthed the words "Sorry". He turned to walk towards her voice.
Seriously? I shook my head and grabbed his hand. "Hey!" I shouted over the music. "What the hell just happened?"
He ran his thumb over my hand. "I can't do it, not now."
"Can't do what?" He was so frustrating sometimes. I almost wonder why I bother with him, then I remember, he's my best friend. Surviving without him was not possible.
"I'm sorry, I'll explain later." He pulled away and continued to walk.
"Nicholas!" I stamped my foot on the dance floor. He was out of site.
What on earth just happened?

© Copyright 2010 MissLSC (misslsc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1668023-Best-Friends-Cant-Be-Lovers-Can-They