*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669660-The-Open-Door
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1669660
A family story with morals.
THE OPEN DOOR

(c) Johnnie McInnis





The long, hot summer had taken its toll on the crops this year. The drought was the longest Sarah could remember. They had tried everything to salvage what they could of the vegetables, but everything now lay wilted on the parched ground.



On this August day, Sarah climbed aboard the wagon Jason had rigged for her and headed towards the town of Pear Orchard. It was only a few miles from their Kansas prairie home, but the horses clopped along slowly in the heat. She adjusted her bonnet, pulling it tightly around her face to protect it from the scorching sun. Sarah watched the warm breeze as it moved through, making the tall grass dance to and fro.



When she reached the little town, the few citizens who ventured out in the heat moved like snails along the dusty streets.

She strode into the mayor’s office displaying more confidence than she felt.



“Good morning, Mr. Jamison.”



“Well, hello there, Mrs. Wilkins. Please have a seat. It’s a scorcher already this morning, I see.”



“Yes, it is uncomfortable. As you know, Mr. Jamison our crops have been destroyed by the drought, leaving us in need. I wanted to apply for the teaching position.”



“Are you qualified to take on such a position, Mrs. Wilkins?”



“Please, call me Sarah. Yes, I believe that I am qualified to teach the children of Pear Orchard. My mother was well educated in the East and she taught me and my brother everything we needed to learn. I know I can teach reading, writing, and arithmetic. I could help out until you are able to find a permanent teacher. We would both benefit from that arrangement.”



“Now, Sarah, I’ll have to meet with the town council and they’ll have to make the decision on hiring a teacher. I’ll do what I can, but I’ll have to abide by the decision of the majority.”



“I understand. I would appreciate your help. When does the council meet?”



“I’ll call a session tomorrow and we’ll take a vote.”



“Thank you, Mr. Jamison. I’ll see you tomorrow, then.”



“Goodbye Sarah. Tell Jason and the little ones hello.”



“I will, Mr. Jamison. Goodbye.”



The schoolroom was noisy when the mayor walked in early that Tuesday morning. They were all there; Mr. Ames, who was the banker, his wife, Thelma, and Ed Parker, along with Father Thomas. Thelma Ames was known to give her opinion whether one was required or not. Ed Parker ran the only boardinghouse in the town. Together they made all the decisions concerning their small town—a place where everyone knew each other and gossip was the main form of entertainment.



“Well, let’s get down to business,” shouted the mayor, in an effort to be heard over the roar. “I called this meeting today because Sarah Wilkins has asked to apply for the teaching job.”



“I think that is an excellent idea,” Father Thomas replied.



Mrs. Ames looked aghast. “That young woman? What does she know about teaching? Why, I’ll bet she doesn’t even have a decent dress to her name. We can’t have our community represented by someone of her lowly position.”



Mr. Parker interrupted, “Well, we need a teacher for sure. Its’ been months since Miss Collins left.”



“After all, she has taught some of the children their ABC’s already,” Father Thomas added.



Mayor Jamison held up his hand to halt the discussion. “I think the least we can do is give her a try.”



“I agree, said Mr. Ames, to the chagrin of his wife. Thelma Ames raised her head high and gave a loud “Hmmmmph!” in reply.



“All in favor say aye.”



Mrs. Ames cast the only dissenting vote.



“Then it’s settled,” said the mayor. “She can start next week.”



That evening at the supper table as they ate by the light of the kerosene lamp, Sarah could hardly contain herself. Jason had only taken a few bites of the rabbit stew when she burst out, “I got a job today!”



“A job? You know how I feel about you taking on a job.”



“But, Jason, we need the money. What little food we salvaged won’t last long and we need money to buy supplies. It will only be for awhile until they find a permanent teacher.”



“I guess you’re right, but what about Beth? Where would she stay?”



“She can come to school with me. She’s three now and big enough to mind her manners in public. I’ve been teaching her some already. Besides, Luke’s old enough now to help keep an eye on her.”



“What will Mrs. Ames have to say about that?”



“Oh, I’m sure she’ll have plenty to say about it. She has plenty to say about everything.” Sarah laughed just thinking about cranky old Mrs. Ames.



Jason smiled, too. It was good to see his wife laugh again. There hadn’t been much joy at home lately. Sarah’s flushed cheeks reminded him again of the young girl that he had fallen in love with a few short years ago. His rough, calloused hands touched hers across the table, and it was not just the reflection of light from the lamp that shone in their eyes.



For the next few weeks, Sarah was busy getting the kids up and going to town every day, then coming home and doing the chores, and cooking supper. Her head barely touched the pillow at night before she was sound asleep.



On a Sunday in late September, she saw the Smith family on her way back from church.



“Hello Louise, how’s the family? Is Rachel still practicing her ABC’s?”



“Yes Ma’am, Missus Wilkins. She’s doing right well, and so is my boy, Thaddeus.”



“I’m glad, Louise. You need to send them to school so I can teach them their reading and writing and arithmetic.”



“Why, mercy me, Missus Wilkins, do y’all think the town council would allow it?”



“Don’t worry, Louise, I’ll handle them. Just have them there tomorrow morning.”



“All right, iffen you say so. They’ll be there. ‘Bye now.”





Nothing got past nosey Mrs. Ames. When the wagon pulled up in front of the school on Monday, she was peeking out her window. Her mouth flew open when she saw the Smith children going into the schoolhouse. She ran as fast as her chubby legs would carry her to the mayor’s office. Within minutes the whole town council was informed of the newest pupils in Pear Orchard.



With frustration and a sense of guilt, the mayor walked into the schoolhouse. The bell had just rung to let school out. Sarah was cleaning the blackboard.



“Hello, Sarah.” Sarah turned quickly, surprised to see an adult in class.



“Oh! Hello, Mr. Jamison.”



“I didn’t mean to startle you, Sarah. The council is upset that you are teaching the “colored” children in our school. You know that’s just not allowed here.”



“Mr. Jamison, they have the right to learn just the same as anyone else. They are human beings, too.”



“I personally don’t see any harm in it, but the whole council makes the rules in this town, so I have to abide by them. I’m afraid you’re fired, Sarah.”



Two weeks later Louise Smith sent Rachel and Thaddeus over to the Parker’s with eggs to sell as they always did. The Parkers needed lots of eggs to cook for their boarders. Rachel stepped inside the back door waiting for Ed Parker to get the money for the eggs.



Dr. Anderson was standing beside Mrs. Parker’s bed. She was very pale and very sickly looking. The doctor reached inside his black bag and pulled out two bottles of liquid. Squinting at the labels, he turned to Ed, “I’ll give her some of this cod liver oil. It should make her feel better in a couple of days.” The old doctor’s eyes weren’t what they used to be. He was getting on up in years, and he was the only doctor for several miles. As the doctor started to put the spoon to her mouth, Rachel rushed over and stuttered, “N-n-no, Massa doctor.”



“What are you doing, girl? Have you gone crazy?”



Ed started to grab Rachel by the arm but she pulled away. “Dat ain’t no cod liver oil you’se givin’ her. Cod liver oil starts with a “C”, Massa. Dat  label on dat bottle, it says “L” plain as day.”



“Are you sure, girl?” Ed asked.



Ed Parker had never learned to read. He was too busy farming to worry with such things.



Just then Mrs. Ames walked in.



Ed held the bottle up to her face. “Is this cod liver oil?”



She turned the label around slowly. “Heavens no, Ed, this label says laudanum!”



The doctor’s hands began to shake as he realized how close he had come to making a mistake that could have killed her.



“Seems we owe a lot to this young lady. How do you know so much?”



“Missy Wilkins been teachin’ me and Thad our ABC’s for a long spell now. I knowed it weren’t no “C” on dat bottle.”



The following Monday, Sarah was ringing the school bell again and no one said a word when Rachel and Thaddeus jumped off the wagon and ran into the schoolhouse.



Not even Mrs. Ames could argue about the value of an education, no matter what color a person’s skin might be.









© Copyright 2010 ladynred53 (johnniemc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669660-The-Open-Door