*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669970-Disaster-Prom
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1669970
A normal girl preparing for prom falls into disaster.
Pt. 1: The disaster starts.


Hi, My name is Kim, Kim Tomson. I’m at my prom sitting alone in the cold bathroom of Crystal Gardens,  in one of the dirtiest stalls I’ve ever seen, balling my eyes out. My cheeks are smeared with my Maybelline mascara I eagerly put on to match my now ruined, blood stained $200.00 dress. My $197.00 Chanel shoes are completely ripped and torn, and my soul, shattered. I know what your thinking, “What the hell happened to me? Why am I spending one of the most important nights of my life sitting in a dirty bathroom stall, with a ruined wardrobe, crying uncontrollably?” Well, the story in its entirety is long and complicated, and honestly I really don’t feel like telling it. But you’ve already read this far, and I don’t want it to be for nothing, so I guess I can give you brief summary of the events leading up to this god forsaken night. It all started 3 weeks ago when I was at Sears shopping for the best prom dress I could lay my super eager hands on. My selfish jerk of a boyfriend, Chris Matarese, was so intertwined within his own his own life goals to notice or even care about which dress I chose to wear. He was whining like a baby who was left in the dumpster shortly after birth, the entire time we were there. And he was constantly saying the same things to me in an attempt  to speed me along like, “Kim, when are we leaving?” or “I have to get home and practice with my band for battle of the bands next Friday!” Oh, excuse me Chris for actually believing that helping your girlfriend find a prom dress you both like, is of any importance. That irritated me to no end, but I’m getting off topic. Chris continued to annoy me, so I just decided to leave, so the little toddler would calm down. I was under the impression that I could just come to Sears later without the douche, and peacefully search for my dress. That was until my idiot boyfriend decided to try and steal a shirt! The alarms went off, and security scurried over to Chris like a bunch of wild horses and apprehended him. I couldn’t believe Chris had actually attempted something so unbelievably stupid. The manager quickly walked over to the security guards who seemed to give him some sort of briefing of the situation, then he headed over to us. Chris stood there motionless like a helpless puppy as the manager gave him an evil glare. I decided to speak for him, and hopefully get us both out of his mess. I told the manager that Chris just forgot that the shirt was in his hand and he wasn’t purposely stealing it. I laughed to try and ease the mood a little, but that did nothing but make matters worse, because my laughter just infuriated the man even more. He said since I think its so funny that my convict boyfriend tried to steal from the store, he would think its humorous when he tells us to leave, and NEVER come back. So much for trying to save the day. I tried explaining the situation again, but the manager just had us escorted out. So, I got banned from the store I was going to get my prom dress from, thanks Chris. But its no big deal right? I can just go to another store and buy my prom dress form there. After I dropped Chris off at home, (Yeah I drove him.) I tried going to other stores to get my dress, but word spread quickly of my boyfriends theft attempt, and numerous stores refused to serve me, from fear of getting their merchandise stolen. My plans weren’t going well at all so far, and I was getting stressed out. (Due to all of the store searching.) I called my then, best friend, Stacy Schober to vent, of course, and ask her if she could buy my dress for me and that I would reimburse her afterwards. She agreed to do it, (Probably the only good thing that happened that whole day.) and I gave her details for which dress to buy. I put the fate of my prom in her hands. Then, it seemed like a good idea, but it really wasn’t.

Pt. 2: Stupid, Stupid Me.


A week had passed since I asked Stacy to buy my prom dress for me, and she had yet to do so. My confidence in her coming through for me was failing, as it should have been, so I did what any other girl would do, I created a back-up plan. I called my then, good friend Rachel Levaughn and explained my situation with the dress and asked if she could buy me a dress for prom. I of course left out the part about Stacy already supposedly doing it, because I felt that I could wait and see which one of them came through first, and then cancel my plans with the other one. Rachel reluctantly agreed to help me out, and claimed she would have my dress by the end of the day. I was ecstatic, of course upon hearing this, and unhesitantly canceled my dress plans with Stacy. In hindsight, that wasn’t a very good idea. Feeling confident about getting my dress, I quickly got ready to accompany Chris to Battle of the Bands. Yeah, I know, I stayed with him even though he got  us in some serious shit, but I was in love with him, or so I thought.

Pt. 3: Battle of the Bands night.


Battle of the Bands was awesome. Everyone there, including Chris’s bands were wonderful, and energetic. That was the only good thing that happened that night though because everything else seemed like a nightmare. My phone started ringing while I was rocking out, and I saw that it was Rachel calling me. I was full of excitement because I thought that she had my dress, and she was waiting for me to come get it. So I answered the phone, and its was her boyfriend. I could tell in his voice that something was wrong, and I was right. Turns out, Rachel, on her way to get my dress had a head-on collision with another car, and is in the hospital, in critical condition. Damn! So much for my dress! Yes, I should’ve been thinking of my friend at that moment, but I couldn’t help but think about how close prom was getting, and I had no dress yet. Thanks a lot Rachel. I told Chris about the horrible news with Rachel, and we went to the hospital to go see her and give our condolences to the family. Once I dropped Chris off at home, I was back on my mission, I needed a prom dress! I called Stacy to see if I could rearrange our plans, but her grandfather fell ill, and she had to go to Tennessee to visit him.  Tennessee?! So, she was out of the picture, and I still had no dress for prom. I was in hole I didn’t know how to get out of. I only had one last shot at getting this dress, and at the time, it seemed like the most sane decision, which was to steal one.

Pt. 4: Theft


I was a nervous wreck as I stood outside Sears thinking about  how I was going to carry this out. “What am I doing?” was the only thought running through my head. I was sweating like a sumo-wrestler who just walked out of a hot sauna. I was shivering like I was at the top of Mount Everest, even though it was 73 degrees outside. Simply put, I looked insane, and suspicious. I should’ve just walked away, and brought a dress from eBay or something. But with prom just a week away, I couldn’t do that. I was there, and I needed to do this. With my giant garbage bag in hand, I slowly entered the store and crept toward the dresses. I quickly looked around for any security guards or on-break employees. Then opened the garbage bag and stuffed numerous dresses into, it closed it, and proceeded to walk towards the door. A little boy yelled, “Mommy! Mommy! Look at her! Look at her!” I didn’t know that the kid was pointing to a mannequin he thought was pretty, so, I made a run for it. The security guard saw me coming and stood in front of the door like a soccer goalie. At this point I was sure I wasn’t gonna make it out of the store, but that didn’t stop me from trying. I continued to run toward the guard, ignoring his demands to stop, and I lifted my foot as far back as possible, and hurled it right in-between the guards legs. He cringed, and fell to the ground like a headless rooster. I ran out of the store feeling like a ninja, and hopped in my get-away car and drove home. So I finally have my prom dress, no, prom dresses. I tried on all of them, took pictures and posted them on Facebook. I felt like a princess who’s closet was endless with extravagant clothing. Nothing could bring me down from that high, except of course seeing the police ask my neighbor about me. My neighbor, thank god, had a slight case of Alzheimer’s and didn’t know who they were talking about. So they left. Ha! I felt like John Dillinger! I was wondering how many more things I could steal and not get caught with, I was victorious!

Pt.  5: Prom and infidelity


Prom night had finally come, and I couldn’t have been more of a wreck. I put on the only dress that matched with my Chanel shoes (I brought them.) and called Chris to see if he was ready to go. I came to his house, greeted his parents, took pictures, and waited for him to finish spraying his hair, when he received a text message. I normally wouldn’t have read his messages, but I was in a curious mood, and said, oh what the hell? I read the message and was completely surprised by what I read. The message was from Stacy, and it read: “Hey baby! Cant wait to see you tonight. Make sure you break-up with Kim before you come, I don’t want any un-needed tension. Love ya Chris! Ttyl!” I almost threw the phone in the heat of rage. I didn’t know how to respond to that. First off, Stacy was back in town? She didn’t even call me! And my so-called best friend and the guy I was in love with were seeing each other behind my back? I didn’t know whether to hang them or burn them! Or both! I decided not to allow this to ruin my night. This night was gonna be perfect, no matter what. I deleted the horrid message and contained my feelings. I was gonna bring it to Chris after tonight.

         It started raining viciously when we actually left, and it was hard to drive. Chris didn’t seem enthusiastic about going to prom at all, well with me anyway. I told him I loved him in an attempt to get some kind of emotional response, but he just said that’s great and continued to stare out the window. I started to tear up, but held in the crying, I couldn’t mess up my mascara. Suddenly I heard a huge pop, and the car stopped running. Shit! How were we gonna get to prom? Chris was already on the job, and he seemed persistent. He was calling everywhere! I thought he actually wanted to go, with me. But I soon realized that was the farthest thing from the truth. Chris told me he finally got a ride, so I was happy, at first. That was until I saw who it was giving him the ride. Stacy pulled up next to the car, and called for Chris, too scared to leave her vehicle. Chris started walking to the car, and turned and told me Id have to find my own way there. My heart sank as they pulled off, and so did my sanity. I was full of dark demonic rage I couldn’t control. I started walking to my prom, in my dress and Chanel’s. I didn’t care anymore, I was gonna make them both pay. It took me an hour to finally make it to prom, but I did, drenched and all, and out of my mind. I searched for them everywhere, and finally found them, faces planted on each other, swapping saliva. It was disgusting to watch. I had to end it somehow, so I would never have to watch it again. I found a pen in my purse, and headed towards them. Chris saw me and started laughing. He pointed at my drenched dress and called me an idiot for showing up. Stacy was snickering behind him and I was boiling over with insane fury. I raised the pen and inserted it into Chris’s neck numerous times until his squealing finally stopped. I then went for Stacy  who was screaming her lungs out. She ran from me yelling for help, calling me crazy and a psycho. I went after her full speed, but slipped on Chris’s blood. I waddled in it before getting up and chased her through a massive crowd of scared teens. No one helped her  or stopped me. I finally caught her when her heel broke and she fell like a bag of oranges. I climbed on top of her and proceeded to stab her in her esophagus until I was too tired to continue. After I calmed down some, I realized what I had done, and ran to the bathroom where I am now. The police who are already looking for me anyway because of my recent theft at Sears, are banging on the door pleading for me to come out. I don’t plan on coming out though, I don’t think jail is a good place for me. So I’m going to insert this pen into my own neck, and hopefully dodge that bullet. Thank you for listening, you’ve been great, Goodbye.





© Copyright 2010 Derek Gist (derek3men at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669970-Disaster-Prom