*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1670916-Eternal-Torment
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #1670916
Amidst the multitude of corpses, there is a figure in black...
Jack opened his eyes. He stood in a clearing and there were corpses EVERYWHERE! And the corpses looked eerily like him!
He covered his nose, trying and failing to block out the stench of rotting flesh and looked around. Nearby, there was a figure in black who held a scythe, waiting. Before he could ask what the guy was doing with a scythe, a 'replica' of him burst out of the trees. The figure in black swung the scythe with lightning precision. Jack instinctively shut his eyes, hearing the head hit the ground, feeling bile rise up his throat. Suddenly, he heard footsteps, getting louder and he immediately opened his eyes- and screamed in fear, for the figure in black who stood before him was NOT HUMAN, for it had no flesh its grinning skull looked at him with menace. It lifted the scythe.

Jack, consumed by fear, blindly tore off into the trees, trying to get as far away from the creature as possible. He forced his way through the bushes, branches and trees, without regard for his own safety, and he felt branches tear into his clothes and skin. He ran as fast as he could, but yet, he could hear footsteps behind him, getting louder with each passing second. The moon gave a dim illumination, but not enough to see properly and he tripped on roots more than once in his blind panic. The moon used to give him solace, but offered none today and instead looked dark and menacing in the sky. The sound of footsteps stopped and he breathed a sigh of relief- and burst into a clearing. THE SAME CLEARING, and it stood waiting. Jack knew that it was too late to avoid him and shut his eyes in fear, waiting the inevitable.......

He opened his eyes. A figure in black stood near the edge of the trees, waiting silently. He saw himself burst out from the trees and it swung its scythe with deadly accuracy. And as the head fell to the ground, it turned towards him.

And grinned.
© Copyright 2010 Nightbane (kevan99 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1670916-Eternal-Torment