*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671082-A-Childs-Tale
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #1671082
Urban horror from the eyes of a child.
This story opening came to me when I pulled off the highway for gas in Western Massachusetts.  The town, the gas station, the coffee shop, they all seemed too quaint, too perfect, to me.  I wondered what one might find hiding in such a place.  I'm not entirely sure where this story's going, but I'm learning to trust myself in this area.  I'm interested to see where it goes.

___________

A Child's Tale


It was an accident--what happened was, I mean.  We didn't want no trouble.  We just stopped in that town 'cause we needed some gas and some food and a Goddamn decent cup of coffee, for fucks sake.

We pulled off the highway and turned right, I think.  For a little while, there was nothing--only cows and corn.  But soon there was some houses, and then some other buildings, and a general store and a restaurant.  Daddy said You pump the gas, and Mama gave him that look.  Daddy's a big man, but Mama's look always gets him, so he got out and picked up the pump.  Mama turned around and said You stay here, honey.  Mommy's gonna get us some coffee.  Do you want another hot chocolate?

I want to come, Mama.  I'm bored of the car.

I thought that Mama was going to give me a look, too, but she didn't.  Instead she smiled and said, Alright, but we're gonna be real quick.  We can't stay too long, or else--  she opened up her mouth like she was gonna say something else, but she changed her mind.  It didn't matter, anyway.  I knew what she meant.  Or else….like the other places. 

In my head I hear her saying Shhh, hush now, girl.  Forget the other places.


© Copyright 2010 Yoshebel (yoshebel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671082-A-Childs-Tale