*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671350-The-Forgotten-Roman-part-3
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1671350
a fallen Roman soldier is forgoten about by death.
 

The Dark Keeper, Fortis ran from the darkness of the woods not wanting Cruentus or Itticuss as he called himself here, to follow him. He moved with great speed faster than any mortal or immortal for that matter to see. In a blur he was gone from the confines of the darkness and into the heart of the city where Illusum and Confessus awaited him. In a flash Fortis appeared on a street corner and attempted to use his mental power to determine where his two brothers where. He looked down at the stone street and could see a painting on one of the stone blocks, it was a painting of an erect penis, and it pointed north. Fortis thought that was really the best place to find Illusum and usually Confessus would be with him. He knew that the painting of an erect penis in the streets was the one sure fire way to find the nearest brothel in the city. He took several steps until he found another penis pointing him to go left down a dirt road where he came to a building with stone walls and a carving of a penis above the door.

He walked through an open doorway and found himself standing in a brightly lit room with a fire ablaze in the corner throwing a thick grey haze around the room. A small hole in the ceiling was allowing for most of the smoke to escape but only partly. Several young ladies walked around the room wearing thin silk draped over their bodies to show off their goods for sale to willing gentleman. A ruff looking man, Fortis took to be a pimp stood at the door eyeing the fat bartender in the corner. Then Fortis recognized the two men sitting in the back of the room, Confessus and Illusum.  Ladies sat all around them, their hand rubbing over them under the table.

“This is where I find you?” Fortis said.

“What is wrong with you?” Illusum asked looking up from the table.

“There has been an incident with Cruentus,” he said. That got their attention they both looked up, their lip stiff and concentration in their eyes as the stared. 

“What happened?”  Illusum asked.

“Cruentus was attacked by his village again.” they two at the table looked at one another for a moment.

“Fine we will go,” Illusum said more to Confessus then to Fortis. In a flash they were gone and out the doorway of the building and into the hills of Roma.

“He is not at his village he must have gone home,” Confessus telepathically communicated to the others as they appeared on the dirt path just in front of Oppius Peak.

“Agreed,” Fortis responded. Then the three of them disappeared once more and traveled out of Roma only reappearing moments later standing on a grouping of rocks in the middle of the Tiber River just feet from the home of Itticuss. A second later they heard the sound of a tiered exhausted Itticuss making his way over the top of his hill that led to his home. Itticuss had tears running down his face and dried streaks of mud across his face. He stumbled into his home and tossed his body down on a fur skin rug that sat in the middle of the floor.

“Confessus and Illusum we need all to be watching him not just me, remember what his history is we must not fail, this is our duty to our gods,” Fortis said. “I know this world has a lot to offer us but if we fail, we will never see it again, right?” the two of them looked at Fortis feeling like disciplined school children but then agreed to their brother demands.

V

Itticuss lived in seclusion but listened to the news of Roma. His youngest son, Lartius, was seventeen when he took a wife and moved to Palatine hill, one of the seven hills of Roma. He joined the King’s army and soon had a family of his own. He had a strapping young boy, Itticuss’ grandson.

Itticuss watched from a far as his grandson grew and left his village. He was a tall muscular man when he joined the Roman Guard.

Eventually his grandson would become captain of the Royal Guard, a position where he would come to need the help of his grandfather Itticuss.

Roma was on her second king with the name of Tarquin. This was Tarquinius Superbus, or Tarquin the Proud, the nickname that the people of Roma had given him.

Tarquin the Proud was the most cold- blooded and ruthless king ever to rule Roma. He broke treaties and executed men in the streets of Roma for no reason whenever he pleased. The people of Roma quickly became tired of this and the king began to realize that he needed a bodyguard. Itticuss always heard the news that came from Roma and soon feared what would become of his grandson. Itticuss left for Roma to join the Roman Royal Guard, not so much to protect the king but to protect his grandson and his family line, this was all he had left that was part of him. Itticuss had been in hiding for eighty years and had been cut off from all life in his city that he still loved very much.

Itticuss felt his grandson might be in danger serving a king as dangerous as this. With a king like this he could foresee that death might come to those around him and all who served him.

Itticuss was walking to the city and could not shake the feeling that he was being watched once again he looked around and could see no sign of any thing around him that could be peering eyes. He walked over to the river splashed water onto his face and pulled out his long dagger he wore on his belt. He looked at his reflection in the blade he could see no one but him looking back at him. No ghost of any kind haunting him. He finally shook the feeling off and returned on down the road to the city. Itticuss continued the trip into the city without incident.

***

Captain Cacuss put his hand up to his eyes as the rising sun began to blind him. He stood in the opening of the market district of Roma and made his daily trip through the merchant area. Sounds of friends of the rich and poor alike began to fill the air as he walked through the cobblestone streets. Venders and merchants ran to his side giving the Captain of the king’s guard their morning greetings and offerings of gratitude.

The captain wore a smile on his face as he shook the offered hands of several men and women then he noticed boy in the crowd of people, a young boy by the name of Genoa. Genoa, the energetic son of one of the younger Senators to the king stood in front of Captain Cacuss.

“Good morning Sir.”

“Good morning to you young Genoa and how is your father faring with the new king?” The boy shrugged his shoulders a little at the question not sure how he should respond then gave a soft answer.

“He seems to be frustrated by the actions of this king, Sir.” The Captain gave very little response to his answer only a slight nod of his head and a soft pat on the child shoulder. That seemed to be enough for the child.

“Where is it you are off to today?” asked the boy as he walked next to the Captain. The captain took a refreshing, cleansing breath enjoying the morning air and then answered the child.

“I’m expected to inspect the new recruits this morning I’m heading there now; you may join me if you wish.” The boy’s excitement over took him, his eyes got wide and his mouth gapped into a smile as if the Captain had just presented the boy with a grand gift.

“I’ve never seen the training of the guard before.”

“Come along then,” the captain added as they continued their walk through the market. They walked for several minutes in silence and as the Imperial House of the Guards came into view the boy began to quicken his steps as if some invisible force was pulling him to it. The captain began to smile at this sight. He enjoyed Genoa he was a fun loving innocent child and the Captain hoped he would have a boy just like him one day.

The Captain and his wife have been trying to start their family but it has been slow going, but he often watched Genoa in the markets and wondered what it will be like to finally have his first child.

As Genoa looked up to the Captain he gave him a smile. The Captain was a well respected man in Roma and he felt privileged to be aloud a friendship with him. Genoa secretly wanted to be just like him. He knew his father wound not approve of his desire to be a soldier like captain Cacuss but for now that would remain his little dream of life. Inside Genoa knew that he would have to follow his father’s wishes and become a senator to the king of Roma.

Two guards came to attention and stiffen their backs as the captain and Genoa came into sight as they walked down the wide cobble stone path that led to the entrance of Guard house.

“Good morning captain one of them greeted him as he walked by with the child at his side.

As they past the guards Genoa stared at them trying to lock every detail of their uniforms and armament into his mind. Captain Cacuss would not slow his steps for long and Genoa rush down a stone hallway held up by massive round columns, his hurried footfalls echoing around him as he rushed to the Captains side.

“Did I loose you, Genoa?”

“No sir.” The captain gave the boy a reassuring smile as they walked down a stone stairwell and the smell of sweat hit him. The air felt thick and damp as he entered the archway of the training area of the Imperial Guard House. 

***

The sun was high in the sky and as it was well into the fall weather the trees were a mix of golden brown and red. Leaves were floating in the northern gentle breeze that was coming down over the hills around the city. When Itticuss got to the city he headed to the southeastern side of Roma where the Imperial House of Guards was located. Itticuss loved to walk through the heart of the city and this day was no exception. It stood tall and proud displaying it massive round columns and high stone arches like a proud father puffing his chest out as his child runs by. Itticuss entered the great house and walked up a flight of steps that led up to a long hallway. At the top, two Roman guards dressed in black armor stood on either side of the walkway, by large Roman pillars that held up a great marble ceiling. Itticuss walked down the hallway to a man sitting at a table at the end of the corridor. He was a small man with no hair and he wore some kind of wrap around his shoulders. Itticuss stood in front of the man for several moments without being noticed so he spoke.

“Pardon me sir.” He did not look up at Itticuss from the work he was doing. He spoke to him again and Itticuss had already determined the man was far too rude, “I’m here to join the Royal Guard,” Itticuss said demanding his attention. 

The man looked up at him and then said, “this is not the Royal Guard go down the hallway and talk to the men at table on your left.” Itticuss gave the man his thanks not so much in gratitude but just in politeness and headed on down the hallway. The sun was beaming through pillars that held up a long ceiling of stone as Itticuss walked down to a great courtyard and saw a statue of Vulcan, the god of armor. Vulcan was surrounded by a garden of flowers set in the middle of the courtyard. Looking around the courtyard Itticuss saw a table on the far side of the garden with two men. One man he took to be a bookkeeper and the other to be a soldier. The soldier stood proud and tall, his black chest plate puffed out and his jaw stiff. He held a long black shield displayed in front of him.

Itticuss walked to the table and the soldier asked, “What do you want?”

“I’m here to join the Roman Guard,” Itticuss said to him.

They both looked at Itticuss up and down and one of them asked, “Well tell me can you handle any weapons?” they did not think that the young man of twenty five could do much.

“Yes, the spear and sword,” Itticuss responded.

“Well, you need to go and see the captain.  Follow me.” The soldier then turned and walked away. 

The soldier walked Itticuss to the far left side of the courtyard and through a doorway into a giant athletic sparing chamber. The two made their way to the far end of the floor where there were many men talking. One of them caught Itticuss’ attention. A young man stood tall representing power and authority the others seemed to wait on his every word. A small child stood next to him and as Itticuss drew closer he struggled to think upon the child. Is this the captain’s son? How could Itticuss not been aware of that fact? No he was sure his grandson had not yet had a child of his own.

Itticuss recognized the man as being his grandson, “Who is this man behind you?” He was looking right at Itticuss. Itticuss stood trying to look good and fit for his grandson but felt unsure the man would like him. He very much wanted to become friends with the young Captain of the guard. He had missed the connection of his family and had felt lost for far too long.

“I bring a new recruit Captain Cacuss,” the soldier said to the captain. Itticuss saw now that he looked younger than his own grandson. The captain looked much like Itticuss’ son; Itticuss fought back a smile of joy as he looked at the man. He so wanted to release his feelings and rain them down the man that stood before him. Itticuss fought back the desire and took a cleansing breath.

“Well then, step forward and let’s have a look at you,” the captain ordered. He looked Itticuss up and down noticing his scars and said, “Well you must be a fighter.”

“Yes sir.”

“Well soldier what is your name then?” asked his grandson.

“Itticuss Marcus” he said to him using his dead son’s first name as his last.

“Well what brings you here to me?” asked the captain.

“I have come to serve the king in the royal guard Captain Cacuss. My family was a guard for King Tarquin. I wish to do the same. My father died in the streets of Roma trying to protect her from a raid on the gates. Now I wish to protect my city in the same way, not in the army but standing next to the King.”

He looked at Itticuss hard and for a good long while before speaking, “Son I’m glad you’re motivated but you don’t just become part of the royal guard and immediately become assigned to stand next to the King of Roma. I’m sure even your grandfather stood in patrol for the city a few years before he was posted to the King.”

Itticuss looked at him and said, “I’m sure your right, sir.”

“Well then Mr. Marcus, welcome to the guard. You begin your training immediately. You will sleep here and you will bleed here and when you are done you will have your posting. After today I will not let you change your mind.” The captain put his hand on the shoulder of the man next to him and spoke to him.

“Corporal, take this man over to the sparing area.”

“Yes captain Cacuss.”

As Itticuss and the Corporal walked away the captain turned and looked at Itticuss, he liked the man immediately. A smirk slipped briefly over his lips as he watched the powerful and confident strides of his new recruit. Captain Cacuss wondered for only a moment if the confidence was an act or would he truly not be broken, he somehow had faith in this stranger. The captain would watch him closely.

The tall corporal walked across the long floor of the room in silence. Not a word was spoken as Itticuss walked next to him and they made their way closer to the group of men beating each other at the west side of the room. The group of men turned and faced as the two came to a stop just in front of them. The group had the look of tough men. Sweat and blood dripped off of their brows as they stared at Itticuss. Itticuss looked them over for a moment and he recognize their looks. They were sizing him up, figuring out how to break him down. Itticuss had seen that look many times before from dozens of foes all dead now.

“All right men this is a new recruit, he’s with you for the remainder of the week. Toughen him up.” Then one of the men gave a laugh as he glared at Itticuss. The corporal turned to Itticuss and addressed him, “This is B squad, you are in B squad, your Number is 24, as in the twenty-fourth member of B squad, remember that.” Then he just turned and walked away. The other members of the squad began to line up in front of Itticuss.

“Alright 24, I’m 1 and you listen to me. Get into the ring and let’s see what you can do,” ordered a man about thirty-two. He had very short stubby black hair and a squared off jaw bone with a thin crease on his chin. His vibrant blue eyes looked right at Itticuss as he climbed up onto the wooden platform about a foot off the ground. “5 get up there and introduce him to pain.”

“Yes, sir,” yelled a young athletic shaped man of about twenty-one, with blond short hair. The two danced around the wooden platform bouncing back and forth around each other while the wood creaked under our foot falls.

“He may be young 24 but he’s proven himself to be very fast.” Then the young soldier bobbing in front of Itticuss began to swing his fist at him with amazing speed, Itticuss barely could dodge them all. He ducked and swayed side to side as his strikes flew around Itticuss. Then Itticuss decided to end this. He tried to give Itticuss three fast crosses, Itticuss sank low to the ground as the man’s strikes fluttered over his head and then Itticuss came up fast, struck him in his throat with two fingers of his open right hand. The man named 5 dropped to his knees as his wind pipe was crushed and slid onto his back. Air could not get to his lungs. If Itticuss didn’t act soon the man would die. Itticuss remembered what his father had taught him about crushed wind pipes and he knew what he needed to do.

Itticuss kneeled down in front of the man and pushed his fingers deep down into his throat and pushed his wind pipe out again, letting his air flow. The man opened his eyes, looked around confused for a moment then stared at Itticuss standing over him. The man’s mouth hung open as his lungs heaved up and down pushing air into his lungs. The squad had gone silent as Itticuss helped him to his feet.

“How did you know to do that?” asked the person called 1.

“My father didn’t only teach me how to kill he taught me how to save.” Several of the men laughed at that, and the man named 1 gave Itticuss a smile.

“Good, very good,” he replied to Itticuss. “2, your turn with 24.” Then one man at a time proceeded to do battle with Itticuss in the ring. After more than an hour of combat and after being beaten several times after some kind of initiation, Itticuss was allowed to walk out to the side court yard and get some water in the stone fountain. It was a small square yard laid in stone with four cypress trees growing on all corners of the courtyard for shade. A round fountain sat in the middle with flowing water. Itticuss kneeled down and cupped his hands into the water. It was wet and cold as he lifted it to his lips and he wished he could just skip this part of his life, yes he looked like a young man but in reality he was a hundred years old by this point. Life was supposed to get easier. He should not be running around with a bunch of men that just wanted to be killing thing to prove how strong they were to other men. Wasn’t he above that by this point in his life? Maybe not. 

The sun was not yet high in the sky which told him it was not yet time for the mid day meal. Itticuss headed back into the room and found the squad on the northern side of the room. They stood in the far side of a long straight dirt path that went from one side of the room to the other. Men ran from one side and to the other as fast as they could. They wore sacks made of cotton over their backs used for adding weight as you ran.

“Oh, 24 you’re back,” said the man that was referred to as one. He directed Itticuss to stand at the start of their dirt track. “All right, here is a empty sack wear it over your back and run down the path to the man you see standing at the end there,” he said as he pointed to a thin man at the far end of the room just at the end of the dirt path. “There he will put a rock in your sack, run back to me here and I will do the same. You will run back and forth as many times as you can until the weight of the rocks brings you down.” Itticuss took his position at the start of the track and thought to himself this is another meaningless test, dug his front foot into the sand and pushed off into a fast run. Itticuss controlled his breathing and steadied my pace as Itticuss ran down the dirt path. In only a moment Itticuss came to a stop and stood in front of the man. He said nothing to Itticuss as he placed a rock in the sack. Itticuss turned around, face the squad back at the starting line and took off back into a run. The weight of the rock weighted him a little but not much as his legs carried him forward.

Itticuss raced to the line where the man named one stood with the rest of the squad. Stopping just in front of him he gave Itticuss a smile and placed another rock in the sack and gave him a hard push back on to the track. The weight on his back had doubled and his legs had begun to strain more as Itticuss raced down to the lonely soldier. Rock after rock was put into the sack until Itticuss had run back and forth for many, many turns. His legs were weak and had begun to shake. Finally his steps became erratic and Itticuss started to stumble, until he finally fell to the ground. Itticuss slid to a stop in the dirt and the rocks tumbled out of the sack and rolled off of him. Itticuss had stopped just short of starting line of the Squad.

“Fine 24 that was good,” said one, as he pointed for two men to help me to my feet. “All right men, the suns high in the sky and our stomachs are empty. Move out to the supper line outside.” Itticuss followed the men through a stone archway on the south side wall. They walked out onto a green field of long grass blowing in the wind, just on the side of the building. A long shadow of darkness and a cool breeze was thrown over them as they awaited their place in line for their meal. The smell of fowl cooking with vegetable and bread made Itticuss even hungrier as he awaited his turn.

Itticuss could see a long wooden table decorated with plates of food each one with pieces of meat, bread and vegetables. As Itticuss got up to the table a small boy handed him a plate and pointer to a large bowl of water to his left just next to the stone wall of the building. Itticuss thanked him and taking the plate made his way over to the water. Many wooden cups lay around the base of the bowl and he grabbed one of them in his hand and dunked it into the water. It was cold as his drank it down. Water is what he really wanted all of a sudden even though Itticuss was very hungry. His thirst suddenly over took him.

The man Itticuss knew as 1 came over to him as Itticuss was taking his seat next’s to the wall. He gave Itticuss a smile and joined him on the tall grass.

“Tell me 24, you seem to be a seasoned athlete and fighter, but you have the hands of a farmer,” he commented as he watched Itticuss eat.

“I am a farmer but it wasn’t always so. My father was a soldier of Roma and taught me everything I know. He was a strict man but he insisted on developing my mind and my body.” He gave Itticuss a nod and it looked as if Itticuss impressed him a bit. The two of them ate together then he walked Itticuss to the back of the field. There was a large basket full of blankets under a tree just next to the corner of the building. The field was empty, and the long grass had been smashed down many times.

“This is where you will sleep for the next week. We eat out side we sleep outside, but we will sweat and bleed in side. We are done for the day, rest your muscles and join the squad at the supper line in the morning. Itticuss took a blanket out of the basket, found a good spot on the grass and lay my blanket out. The ground was remarkably flat and smooth. One by one the members of the squad began to find a spot next to him. They began to talk and laugh until the sun disappeared over the hills of Italia. Itticuss sat silently as they talked among themselves and deliberated on the roman Army. He did not feel yet comfortable in the group and sat as if he was not there.

The land darkened and the sounds that filled the waking hour had drifted away. Itticuss closed his eyes and laid his head down on his hands. The next day Itticuss got up as the sun peered over the hills, he trained to the point of exhaustion. Itticuss ran, climbed and fought. The captain tested his skills just as men in his position had done in his past and as always Itticuss proved himself worthy.

Days went by and Itticuss even got stronger with the tiring physical combat trials that he was put through day in and day out. Then the morning came at the end of the week when squad B was called up front in the center of the combat room, by the captain. They stood tall in front of captain Cacuss as the addressed them on that day.

“Squad B, you have worked hard, given sweat and blood for the city. Now I ask will you serve your city and your King, even at the cost of your life, because that is what is asked of you. If you can give your life over fully to the greatness that is Roma then you will know what it means to serve something greater than yourself. Now stand forward and be recognized, you are the guards of Roma and King Tarquin, serve well soldiers of Roma.” The captain then and turned and walked to a table at the end of the hall.

“Squad B, line up at the table and you will receive your posting from the captain,” yelled a guard as he pointed to the captain. Itticuss took his place in line all the way in back for Itticuss was the last to join the squad.

“Well 24, you have impressed me a little but you still need to prove yourself to me,” said the captain. “Report to the Courthouse in the morning, soldier you are dismissed.”

“Yes, Captain Cacuss,” Itticuss replied to his order. 

The next day Itticuss made his way down the streets of Roma in full uniform and walked up the Senate steps for the first time.   

His posting turned out to be the Senate courthouse and after his first night of duty in the senate hall, after the moon had risen high into the sky and the sun had disappeared into the night. As Itticuss walked through the large archway of the senate building a blast of cooling night air hit his face as he made his way down the long stone steps that led to the city streets of Roma. A man sat alone looking into the night sky. Itticuss knew immediately that the man was Captain Cacuss.

“Sir, I didn’t think I would see you tonight?” Itticuss said to him as he walked down the steps. 

“Oh Marcus, isn’t it? How did your first posting go?” he asked Itticuss as he got to his feet.

“Very well, sir, thank you.”

“Good, very good, well I better head home,” he admitted.

“Sir I’m off for a drink would you care to join me?” he turned and looked at Itticuss.

“I would soldier, but I am your superior I don’t feel it would be right.”

“Suit yourself captain,” Itticuss replied to him as he made his way down the steps and disappeared into the darkness of the city.

The night that followed was much of the same. The captain sat alone on the steps just as the night before. Itticuss stood at the top of the stairs and leaned up against one of the large pillars and stared at the back of the captain.

“He does this every night,” said one of the guards as he walked up to Itticuss. He turned and looked at the guard he was a young man, one overly friendly and unable to let a man be with his thoughts. Itticuss turned and left the captain in peace not wanting to interrupt the man who was much, deep in thought.

One day as Itticuss was guarding Senator Brutus he was standing outside the steps of the hall talking privately with other members of the Senate. Two men were walking along the street and then turned up on to the stone steps of the Senate. They had introduced themselves as brothers of a noble family of one of the other senators. He shook both their hands and invited them to join him for a cup of wine in private. Itticuss walked just next to the senator as he escorted the brothers inside. They took their seats together at a long marble bench just past the entryway and a slave girl came in and presented them with a flask of wine with a tray of grapes.

“Thank you, you may go now,” the Senator said and dismissed the girl. She bowed her head as she laid the tray next to the bench and took her leave. Itticuss watched her and wondered what kind of family she came from. Is she a slave whose land was conquered in some war or is her family working of a debt, thing such as this always seemed to cross his mind in the oddest of times.

The three talked quietly for a while then Itticuss heard the captain’s voice on the steps as he talked with one of the other senators outside. Their voices carried and echoed into the room as they talked just outside. Whenever the captain came around Itticuss was always more distracted than normal. Itticuss watched the three men carefully as they conversed together. Then one of them got up and walked over to him and tried to engage Itticuss in conversation, blocking his view of the senator completely.

“He cannot speak with you,” said the captain as he stood at the doorway, addressing the man standing before Itticuss. Suddenly the man sitting with the senator pulled blade from his belt. Itticuss moved to stop him but the other man tried to get in his way. This angered Itticuss and he made him pay for such an act of violence in the hall. Itticuss reached down fast and swept the man’s leg up in his arm, stepped into him with a powerful thrust and sent him flying back onto the other man.  They tumbled over the back of the bench as the captain ran and pulled the Senator to freedom. Itticuss drew his Roman sword; jumped over the stone bench as the two men lay on top of each other, and Itticuss pushed the full length of the blade into both of them. They screamed out as their blood ran from their bodies on the Senate floor. Itticuss stood over the men and looked down to his sword protruding from their bodies like two pigs on a stick. A lake of blood flowed from under their bodies as Itticuss turned and looked at the Senator. 

“Oh my, thank you,” the senator said as he looked at the captain and Itticuss. The three of them walked over to the two dead men in the pool of blood.  “They were assassins?” the senator asked.

“Yes sir, I’m afraid so,” the captain replied. Then as he walked Brutus out of the room he turned and addressed Itticuss, “Good work soldier.” Itticuss followed them down the steps of the hall and in to the streets of the city. They walked the good senator to his home.

It was not widely known but it was speculated that the two men were actually assassins sent to kill the good senator by order of the king of Roma. Senator Brutus was a growing thorn in King Tarqiun’s side for a long time. The king had wished to silence him. It was actually this senator that brought the down fall of this king many years later. Brutus led an uprising with the rest of the senate and the people of Roma against their king. King Tarqiun was forced out of the city and hid in a small province, outside of the city that his son controlled. Much later the king tried to take back the city, but only ended up losing his life in the process. This would be years from now, but would be talked about for many years in Roma, after. 

That night the captain came to Itticuss just after his post had ended for the night.

“Marcus,” he said as he approached Itticuss on the steps of the hall,

“Captain, sir?” Itticuss asked as he stiffened his back.

“You did a fine job handling those men today. The king heard of it as well, he seems to be interested in your abilities,” he commented to Itticuss as they turned and walked away, disappearing into the city.

The next night on duty was slow and quiet for Itticuss. The captain was back to sitting on the stairs and staring into the sky as Itticuss made his way past him. Itticuss greeted him with a smile and let him be. For the next night Itticuss did the same but then one evening he sat down next to his grandson the Captain and said, “Captain?”

“Yes Marcus, what can I do for you?” the captain said as he looked straight ahead.

“I’ve been trying to figure something out,” Itticuss said as he sat down.

“Fine I’ll bite, what’s that soldier,” he replied with a smile.

“Why are you always here, captain? Some say you’re just staring at the stars and other who are sure you’re just a little crazy, or maybe your woman is unkind.”

He laughed a full belly laughed and then turn to address Itticuss, “No, no Marcus my wife is very kind and my mind is still intact. Truth of it is I have such a love of this city that I just enjoy to sit here and stare into the sky.”

“Sir?”

“Yes, Marcus.”

“Like to share some wine? Roma’s asleep right now,” Itticuss said to him.

“He got to his feet and said, “She’s never asleep but thank you Marcus, I should go back to my wife, and once again he turned and disappeared into the city. Itticuss and the captain worked together for many years and then finally the Captain became someone Itticuss could begun to think of as a friend. The captain came to Itticuss and informed him that Itticuss will be posted finally at the king’s side.

He walked up to Itticuss with a smile on his face and said, “Well you have worked hard and have proven yourself an honorable son of the city of Roma and the King has requested Itticuss to provide him with a honest man for his posting.”

“Thank you sir.”

“I will now take you over to the palace to see the king and get you settled into your bed chamber.” As they walked through the streets of Roma Itticuss noticed how much respect the people of Roma gave him. They stop to say their hellos and give him a good smile. Itticuss was glad to see that his grandson was such a good man. Roma could use good men like him.





VI



Birds flew into the air as Itticuss approached the large steps of the palace. The sun was peering over the back of the palace and threw beams of light from behind. When Itticuss got to the steps of the palace he was in ah of how immense and magnificent it had become. Itticuss was led up large steps that went up into a massive garden of flowing ivy and brightly colored flowers. There was a marble path with small sculpted shrubs that grew on both sides as Itticuss walked his way into an open courtyard of green grass that surrounded a large statue of Minerva the goddess of wisdom. She stood high and proud as many large Roman pillars circled around the garden.

The entrance of the palace was large with steps that flowed up to a long walkway that went around the entire square of the palace. Itticuss and the captain walked up the massive staircase and made their way into the palace. The captain and Itticuss walked past two Roman guards that gave the captain a node and one of them looked at Itticuss and raised one of his eye brows and his mouth began to curve up at the corner as if he did not like the new favorite soldier of the captain. The guards stiffened their backs as they walked by giving the captain his deserved respect.

They continued down a long stone walkway and came to a marble arch. Itticuss stepped through the archway and stood in a darkened room were sporadic candles and oil lamps burned, throwing a thick haze into the air. There was a beautiful carved table on the far left wall that was lined with bowls of fruit. The stone brick was cold to the touch and flecks of sand rubbed off on to his fingers as Itticuss’ hand grazed it. His foot falls echoed with every step as Itticuss made his way through the haze in the air and down the hall. Itticuss stood on top of a large Roman rug line with gold leaf trim. On the far door way stood two Roman guards one on each side of the entrance.

Sun flooded into the room through an open balcony and lit the room with the morning shine. The captain and Itticuss walked up to the guards and they stepped back to let them by once they saw the captain. It was at that moment that the captain decided to inform Itticuss on his duties and codes of conduct.

“Itticuss,” the captain said addressing him, “There are rules that the guards to the king are expected to follow, and you may not be aware of them. you must be willing to rise very early the king is the kind of man that expects his personal guards to be waiting for him the moment he leaves his chambers.” Itticuss looked over at him and gave him a node signaling his agreement. Then the captain continued, “Several men in the palace have been executed over the years for their conduct with the girls of the palace. The king keeps sex slaves, women of great beauty but they are only for the king, no man is permitted to look at them. If you do your stay in the palace could be most brief indeed.”

“I understand.”

“I hope that you do. You have worked for what has it been two years now to get here so don’t waist this opportunity.”

The captain led Itticuss into a large square room with five great statues one on each side of the room, the fifth stood behind a large chair were the king sat on the far fall.

There was a doorway on the far side of the room where Vulcan the god of fire stood proud as if to greet people as they came into the room. To the left stood Jupiter the king god and on the far right Pluto the god of the underworld stood staring at Itticuss. Itticuss looked at him as if he knew something about him. Itticuss was fixated on the dark eyes of statue. On the far back wall Neptune and the god Mars god of wars stood behind the king, he sat in his chair and was having his supper.

The doorway to the balcony was very large and the sun had lit up the entire room. Two slave girls of such beauty Itticuss could hardly believe his eyes were feeding him.

The king looked up at the two men now standing before him and addressed them, “Captain, do come in. I see that you have brought him to me at last. This must be the Itticuss I have heard about, the one who saved Senator Brutus.” 

The captain stepped forward and said, “This is Itticuss Marcus I‘ve brought him in to be your personal guard. He is the best soldier I have at the Imperial house.” The king put his hand up to stop the slaves stepped up and walked over to Itticuss.

“You don’t look like much, Captain, are you sure about him?” the king asked.

“Yes, King Tarquin,” he replied.

The king was holding his royal sword. Whenever the king was spotted in public, he always was holding that sword as if it was a source of power for the man. He looked Itticuss up and down as if he was attempting to size him up. It had been rumored that the King had sent those men to kill the senator. Itticuss knew this only too well. Would the king kill me for my actions or did he hope to utilize my skills, he thought to himself.

It was said the only reason the king had requested Itticuss was so that a new assassination could be attempted on the senator with him gone, and with a guard so equipped to handle such maters Itticuss would only be allowed to stand next to the king. It should be stated that that king did not really like him for stopping the murder of Senator Brutus, and Itticuss was only too aware of that fact when he was assigned to guard him.



“Well soldier the captain will take you down and get you your bed chamber.”

The two turned and left the king sitting in his room. They walked down a long empty hall echoing from the sound of their foot falls and the captain began to speak.

“The king expects for you to rise when he rises and no later, fine now follow me,” said the captain to Itticuss. The captain led him back through the door they had just come from.

They walked out the door to the outside balcony; the sky had begun to darken as the sun was setting on the land. A cool breeze blew through Itticuss’ hair as they walked across the balcony. Itticuss then saw a doorway he did not see before. It was outside the balcony just to the right. There was a dark staircase that led down under the palace. The captain and Itticuss went down the stairs and when they emerged they stood in a long hallway that wrapped around a corner. The hallway went clear around the base of the palace with the slave quarters all on inner side and the guards and soldiers on the outer side. The captain walked Itticuss down a hallway with a marble floor. There were large burning candlesticks glowing at the far end of the walkway. A thick white haze floated in the air as the stone walls glowed yellow by the flickering flames. They walked to the far right hallway were there was a black piece of silk draped over an entryway.

The captain pulled back the silk and told Itticuss that this was his bed chamber. Itticuss walked into the room and could see that it was no more than a bed and a table of water with a candle burning away on it against the far wall. The floor was made of a stone stained black with ground in dirt and mud from many years of use. 

“I noticed that you gave Fulvia a look be careful there, she is the king’s and he will kill you if you cross that line. He is very possessive. Remember what I told you before,” he said.

Itticuss gave the captain a smile as he walked out of Itticuss’ room.

Itticuss sat there in silence for a great while then as the curiosity hit him he decided that he should have a look around the lower levels of the palace. As he walked he began to feel a mix of feeling, one he was relieved to be close to the king at last, but all so a great feeling of anxiousness of his new situation. Itticuss knew he must tread carefully so close to the king, one wrong move and the Captain could end up losing his head, for it was he that assigned Itticuss to this posting, even if it was the king who requested his presence, the captain was responsible.

Itticuss strolled the empty halls of the palace like a lost black cat carefully looking around every corner not knowing what may lie ahead. He walked with soft footsteps not making long strides or attracting too much attention. He peered around the cold stone walls as he made his way and he noticed that the lower levels of the palace were much different than the levels above. The lower levels were just enough to get the slaves by and no more. Rooms sat open displaying their lonely bed rolls barely lit by a single dying candle flame losing the fight against the darkness.

The upper levels were where the royal family lived and had everything you could possibly imagine. The king gave himself everything and everybody else nothing. Itticuss always knew this but still was not prepared for the reality of the situation.

By the time the royal family woke that next morning Itticuss had already assembled in the king’s war room next to the king’s chambers. A beam of sun light had begun to push its way through the windows of the palace as they faced the rising light. There was a slight chill in the air on that morning as the king came into the room to find Itticuss at his post, next to the king’s chair. Itticuss was in his full Roman black armor including his polished impearl sword. The king stood in the opening of his balcony and eyed Itticuss. He stood there with the morning sun shining behind him. His dark curly hair blew in front of his face as he looked about the room like a man waiting for an impending attack he knew would come. He wore a dark red cloak that was pinned at his right shoulder by a Roman crest a piece of medal that shinned and shimmered in the sun light of the morning. He had his right arm rested on the handle of his sword.

He looked at Itticuss with judging eyes and said, “You up all ready, you might work out after all.”

Itticuss said nothing to the king’s comment he just gave a slight node as the king took his seat next to him. At first Itticuss was not liked by the king very much. The king knew Itticuss was the man that stopped his assassination attempt to the senator and hated him for that. The king was still debating killing him for that fact, but his need for self preservation won over his need for vengeance.

King Tarquin looked at Itticuss then said, “Come with me.”

“Yes sir” Itticuss answered him.

The king and Itticuss walked into the next room, into the royal council. The king led Itticuss into a large square room full of wooden benches sanded smooth by fine craftsmanship. A large stone chair draped in red silk sat in front of the room. This is where the king took his place. Itticuss walked close to him and took his position at his side. 

“This is where council is held which you already know and you will always be up here with him.” the words of the captain rang in his mind as he entered the room with the king. “You and the king will always be the last to enter this room, and the first to leave it.”

“Now let us retire to the war room so I may have my breakfast,” the king said to him. The king and Itticuss went into his war room where he sat in his chair and ordered his slave boy over. A moment later a small child no more than ten came into the room. A child most likely a slave but well cared for in the palace. His long black curls of hair hung over his eyes as he brushed them aside and bowed down to one knee and presented himself to his king.

“Boy go down below and fetch my slave girls with my breakfast,” the king commanded him. The boy bowed his head and ran from the room. A few moments later he returned with three slave girls trailing behind him, all caring large silver trays of fruit and meats. Fulvia carried a flask of wine on her tray. The girls entered the room and kneeled in front of the king and presented him with his morning meal. He leaned forward and began to eat he picked up a hand full of red grapes and sat back in his chair with his head back and he began to toss grape after grape into his mouth.

Itticuss looked down to him out of the corner of his eyes as the king sat back and fed himself. Itticuss felt the king was far too used to the riches and privileges of his position in the palace he would never last a day outside his walls away from the protection of Roma.

Itticuss looked down and saw Fulvia; she was a beautiful woman with long black hair that was tied up in a bun to expose her long neckline. She had small breasts tan and curvy hips. She sat on her legs and looked up at Itticuss only for a brief moment and then looked away.

The king seeing this then turned to her and yelled, “Slave don’t look at him! Concentrate on your work!” 

“Yes King.” She tucked her head back down into the comfort of her chest believing it would keep her safe.

The king turned to Itticuss and said, “I will tell you right now boy, the slave girls are mine. It is forbidden for any other man to touch them. Is that clear?”

“Clear, my king.”

© Copyright 2010 T.C. Elofson (elofson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671350-The-Forgotten-Roman-part-3