*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671423-I-dont-know-Jack
Rated: ASR · Other · Contest Entry · #1671423
Writer's cramp entry. 373 words.
              Have you ever woken from a deep sleep to find that, for a few seconds, you weren’t sure where you were?  Ever felt the panic that sets in during that minuscule time frame?  I’ll tell you, that’s nothing compared to what I’m feeling now.  It’s been five minutes since I opened my eyes, attempting to banish the black and red spots from my vision, and comprehend the waves of pain emanating from the back of my head.  But the worst part is, I can’t remember.  Anything.  My name.  Where I’m from.  What I do.  Where I am... 



         O.K.  Start with that.  Where am I?  Sit up.  Look around.  I’m in an open, grassy area, at the bottom of a small hill.  Next to me is a wooden bucket.  Puddle on the ground.  Was I carrying the bucket?  What liquid was in it?  What am I wearing?  White shirt.  Overalls, with a wet spot on the leg.  Probably from the bucket. 



         Alright, that’s the immediate area.  Stand up.  What the hell...  A girl?  She’s lying on the ground about 25 feet away.  Check her pulse.  Alive.  Unconscious.  Wearing a dress and an apron.  Embroidered letter J on the apron pocket.  Shake her.  C’mon, c’mon, wake up!  Damn, she’s out cold. 



         What now?  The hill.  There’s something at the top.  Climb.  Sun is hot today.  Man, I could use a drink.  Crap!  Watch your step, stupid, this hillside is rocky.  Could’ve broken my neck.  Almost there.  What is that?



         A well.  Old-fashioned, winch and pulley type.  Look down into it.  Dark.  Toss a stone in.  “Plop!”  It’s got water.  There is nothing around here.  Even from the top of this hill, as far as the eye can see, just open grassland.  Flat, except for this one rise.  Almost as if nothing exists except for this hill.



         What is that sound?  Ringing?  From inside the well.  A phone, attached to the inside wall.  Wonder why I didn’t see it before.  Might as well answer it.  Maybe get some idea of what’s going on. 



         “Hello?”



         “Jack?  Jack, that you?  What the hell’s going on?  We got 20,000 kids waiting for their bedtime stories, and you guys are nowhere to be found. “



         Oh crap.  “Jill!  Jill, get up!!” 



373 words.
© Copyright 2010 Ricomise (ricomise at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671423-I-dont-know-Jack