*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671569-The-Pathway-to-Stardom
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Music · #1671569
Manuel and his friend Benny chase their musical dreams.
                Manuel was getting ready for the try-out. He put pomade on his hair and slicked it back. Dressed casually, in black jeans with a navy-blue sweater, Manuel was satisfied with his appearance. He was confident of himself; this would work – just like last year’s talent show. He was sure that he would triumph.

                   Before Manuel left the house, his father looked up from his newspaper and asked Manuel, “Where are you going?”
“I’m going to Benny’s place. Then we will both go to school to try out for this new band. I want to be the lead singer,” Manuel replied.
        “That's my boy! I wish you and Benny the best of luck.”

                Benny and Manuel had prepared everything; Benny had polished and cleaned his trumpet both inside and out, and Manuel had kept his singing voice in tip-top condition.
         
               When they arrived at the school, there was a line as long as The Nile. Both boys knew that there was more competition than either of them had expected. Still, they were going to give it their best shot.

               As Manuel looked around, he saw boys who looked just like him: dark face, black hair, and skinny legs. But one guy stood out – Leo. Leo had an athletic build and a calm air. Somehow Leo made Manuel feel downcast. Perhaps he isn’t trying out for the lead singer. I’ll just have to try harder than ever! And if I don’t make it in the band, at lease Benny will. No one is a better trumpet player than Benny!! Manuel thought.

                   After the try-out, Manuel walked Benny home. “What do they mean by, ‘Thank you, you will receive a phone call within two days if you made it?’” questioned Manuel.
               “I don’t know,” said Benny, “I think my performance was very moving though.” 
                   Ignoring Benny’s remark, Manuel said, “I mean they didn’t even ask me for my phone number!”
               “Well, here is my house. See you tomorrow at school.”
         
                   Manuel took the long way home. He was very disappointed in himself. His performance was a complete fiasco. He thought: I started out alright, but then my voice went too low by an octave. I tried to raise my voice a bit, but instead my voice cracked and there was a complete stop for about…three seconds. I started again, but with the lyrics of the wrong song. I felt like the whole world could hear me and everyone was just glaring at me. And that guy, Leo, I heard him sing. He had an excellent voice with perfect pitch.

                 Two days later, there was still no phone call for Manuel or Benny. It turned out that Leo was the lead singer; and Leo’s friend, Polo, was also added to the band as a guitar player. Even though Manuel and Benny were both awfully discouraged, they wanted to continue the path to stardom.

               Together, Manuel and Benny started a band. They held auditions for a guitar player, a drum player, and a back-up singer. The band members practiced in Benny’s garage. Eventually, the band became exceedingly popular and even played for the school dance. Also, Leo’s band soon broke up without even making one complete song.                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                                                   
                 Whether Manuel’s and Benny’s band became world-famous or not, they were pleased with their victory. They had proven themselves to everyone they knew, which was what they always wanted to do.

                                                       
© Copyright 2010 michelle (h.michelley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671569-The-Pathway-to-Stardom