*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671661-Sabrina-And-The-Runt-word-count-324
by jverne
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1671661
Story of a mother dog taking in her runt she abandoned
Sabrina had dug the hole right next to the north side of the old house. It was just at the corner. A perfect little place to birth her litter. That night as the pains started, so did the rain. The little pups came one after another until there were six. The newborns shivered with each flash of lightening and shake of thunder. When the storm didn’t stop, she decided it was best to look for better shelter. One by one she carried them up the slope to the doghouse. Nestled in the house she had just one more to retrieve, the runt. By now, the bigger pups were already demanding too much of her attention. Sabrina was forced to leave her littlest labor behind.
The next morning the little girl and boy came out to check on Sabrina at her hole by the house but they didn’t find Sabrina. In her place was a squirming, squeaking black and white ball of an Easter egg. Sabrina was nowhere in sight. The kids went running back inside to tell momma and poppa the news. Poppa came out to look for the ugly cur as he loved to call her. Logical man that he was, he looked in the place he’d built for the silly mutt. Sure enough, there she was with the rest of her brood.
Poppa took the tiny black and white ball from the pit by the house in his work-gloved hand and carried him up the little hill to the dog house. Carefully he placed the pup inside. “She may not take to him because he has my scent on him now.” Poppa warned. “We’ll just have to wait and see.”
It didn’t take long. One sniff. Two sniffs. Sabrina stuck out her tongue and licked the top of the little pups head. That was enough. She launched into cleaning him up. “Looks like she recognizes him as one of hers.” Poppa said.
© Copyright 2010 jverne (julieclooney at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671661-Sabrina-And-The-Runt-word-count-324