*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671933-Excentricity
by Dylan
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1671933
A short story about a man who is just a little different than everyone else.
Eccentricity

He handed her a blue stone. Before she could say anything, he laughed and ran into the crowd. She lost him in the confusion. The man, still laughing, skipped away. He was free as a bird. He didn’t know the girl, he didn’t have to. He knew he was making peoples lives better. The blue stones he gave out represented hope and determination, qualities that would help people be successful in their everyday life. He felt someone tapping on his shoulder. The girl from before was standing there, stone in hand.
“Why did you give me this?” she said.
“It belongs to you.” he replied.
“No, I think you have me confused with someone else.”
“No” and he disappeared in a cloud of smoke.
She grabbed him by the scruff of his navy blue jacket and pulled him back to her. He broke free of her grasp, tripped her to the ground and started running. When she came to, there was another stone lying on her chest. She was getting angry now. Who was this strange creature who kept giving her stones? He seemed to disappear as soon as he came. Still, she thought, he was enchantingly naive. All she wanted to do was see him again. She wanted to hold him in her arms. She longed to see his flowing brown hair cascading down over his breast. She wanted his hands, calloused from carrying stones, to caress her face.
She waited out side the pizzeria where she had first seen him. She waited all day until she couldn’t stand any longer, then she went home to sleep. When she awoke there was another stone placed carefully on her chest. She sat there in wonderment. She moved side to side, she watched as the stone tottered from side to side. The man watched her from the tree across the street. She arose and closed her blinds. He watched her silhouette changing clothes. When she was dressed she pulled the blinds back up, by this time he had left. She hadn’t even known he was there.
She went to the pizzeria and ordered a slice of cheese pizza, and a cola. She sat at a table outside. It was a beautiful day and the sun was very bright. He watched her from the alley next to the pizzeria. The street was usually busy in the mornings when people were walking to work, and afternoons when people walked home, but at noon it was like a ghost town. He thought about what it would be like to sit there with her, if only for a minute to give up his task and be with her. He grasped at the stones in his pocket. He removed his hand from his pocket and dashed back down the alleyway.
She was still there when he returned. He always came to that spot when the streets got crowded. He saw a large crowd of people crossing the street ahead. He grabbed two stones from his pocket and looked at them in his hand. One was soft and pristine, the other jagged and dirty. He looked up and let the stones fall to the ground. The girl was now standing, searching for him. He ran up to her. They held each other. The moment was perfect. They both felt at peace. She was slightly shorter than him and their eyes met. He took her hands. Their lips met, and just like that he was gone. Laughing as he ran through the crowd. She was holding the two stones in either hand. She stood their in awe, and placed the stones into her pocket. She wouldn’t be following him this time.
© Copyright 2010 Dylan (dilmank10 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671933-Excentricity