*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671955-The-Bishops-Son
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1671955
Dark Bishop Ghate rules Voilet, and his son, Khyle, seeks out a hero to stop him.
The legendary hero will rise from obscurity and crush Voilet’s oppressors.

Dark Bishop Ghate read this and vowed to take control of everything between the oceans. He feared the prophecy but had long-term plans in mind.

Ghate knew he had to destroy all obscure locations on the map by building them up into large, lavish cities or turning them into dense, deadly swamps. He knew with nothing obscure in the land of Voilet, he could claim it all as his own and easily offer it up to Grezz, the Underworld’s Lord, in exchange for immortality.

Ghate’s only son, Khyle, had his own opinions. He knew the plan seemed somewhat cruel and he wondered if he might embark on an undersized journey in hopes of discovering if any such legendary hero carried the potential in rising up and stopping his father.

Along the way, he was greeted with open arms by many Voilet citizens for they wished to be out from under the Dark Bishop’s malevolent seizure. In hearing the horror stories of citizens, Khyle felt ashamed to share his blood with the man.

During further travels, Khyle found a great blade in the heart of the oldest swaps that Ghate had created and he knew it was destined to be used by the legendary hero to slay the Dark Bishop. A bhytra guarded the blade. It was the most ravenous of swamp beasts and Khyle knew terror when he faced it. With swift spells and swifter feet, the bhytra was defeated, but at the cost of Khyle’s left eye. Obtaining the weapon, he vowed to carry it until he found the hero.

The search took years with Khyle dodging many more of the Dark Bishop’s powerful minions.

Finally, when Khyle felt like he’d never find prospective champion, Dark Bishop Ghate found his son by using vile Magiks and he demanded the blade. Khyle knew he couldn’t give it up and he chose to wield it in defense. The grip was strong as supplied by years of hiding and fighting and Khyle began to cater the notion that he might be the hero of legend.

Ghate struck before his cycloptic son could grasp the reality and they clashed using weapons and sorcery with Khyle slowly being compressed by his father.

“You’d kill your only son?” Khyle asked with tears nearly blinding him completely.

Dark Bishop Ghate sneered. “Once I’m immortal, I’ll have more than enough time to produce a son who won’t disappoint me.”

The response angered Khyle as no offspring wants to be thought of as disappointing in the eyes of their patriarch. In a moment fueled by desperation, Khyle flung the blade into his father’s nearly-hollow chest, ending Voilet’s tyranny, for the legendary hero was to rise from obscurity and nothing’s more obscure than a family’s bloodline.

Word Count: 468
© Copyright 2010 Than Pence (zhencoff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671955-The-Bishops-Son