*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1672493-Flood
by Quik
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Nature · #1672493
A disaster strikes a city, a man tries to survive.
The rain just kept falling.
I was still inside the car, surrounded by water, but still dry, enjoying my last moments with the vehicle, while it was starting to float, and rock like a small boat with no anchor.
Desperation was already gone, after a few minutes of furiously punching the steering wheel.
I had no choice, I had to get out of there, or I was also going down with the rain.
The phone lines were out of service, so there was no way I could call the insurance company. It was the worst storm in more than 50 years; they were probably dealing with worse cases than mine.
I stored the small bag inside the left pocket of the backpack, put it on and opened the door. Water gushed in fast, with thundering sounds in the background. I got out and tried to shut the door as fast as I could, but it was no use.

The car had gone under, and I didn’t have time to waste.
The water level was almost over my neck, and I had to swim my way across the river that used to be a regular street a few hours ago.
Growing up on the beach has its perks, and I could swim well, but the cold was too much. I needed to find shelter before the current threw me in a place I would not enjoy, like the tunnel at the end of the road, or before I caught something, like leptospirosis, a common disease in floods like these.
All I could see was chaos, floating trash and water around me. I grabbed a bus stop sign, and held it tightly, while a river of floating cars passed by me.
I was very tired. A man with a surfboard and an opportunistic grin stopped by me.
“You want a ride?” he asked me, with that ridiculous smile on his face.
“Sure”, I replied, although somewhat confused with his being there.
“Give me a fifty and I’ll get you across”
“Go to Hell”, I said.
“Hell is warmer”, he said, paddling away.
That left my blood boiling enough to get my strength back, and I got up on the roof of an empty van that was floating nearby, so I could catch my breath.

The rain was still pouring over my head. I was completely soaked, head to toe, with itches all over.
Right then I saw a headlight, and boat sounds. It was the fire department, apparently rescuing everyone they could.
I screamed loud and there came a large rescue boat, with the light on my face.
“Jump In!” said a slightly bald overweight man with a thick moustache on his face. He wore a white shirt.
When I got on the boat, he gave me a towel and a blanket. The boat engine roared as we travelled through dirty water and trash.
“Boy, I have never imagined that I would cross the city like this, it’s insane. Like, end of the world insane”, he said to me, shocked.
I sneezed. The cold weather really caught up with me.
“W-We got caught off guard, that’s pretty much it. It’s not the end of the world.” I said while cleaning my nose.
“Well, wait ‘till you see what’s happening in the other blocks. That will change your mind.”
“Where are we headed?”
“There is a rescue center nearby, don’t worry, it’s all going to be fine.”

I closed my eyes, and woke up with cold steel hitting my face.
“Wake up.”, said a voice, while my eyes shifted and saw what was going on.
It was Big Joe. I wasn’t anywhere near any rescue center. He had the diamonds in one of his fat, greasy hands. In the other, there was a gun.
I had it all in my hands. But the storm was unexpected. Damn it. The fireman was under his payroll, just like everyone in this town.
“Hello, sonny boy. Don’t we all love divine intervention?”
Nothingness.
© Copyright 2010 Quik (hanserik at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1672493-Flood