*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674563-Bedelia-Chapter-10--Home-Alive
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1674563
Bedelia and Pluto and Martha and Guiles spent time together unwinding
Chapter 10 Home Alive: (Saturday-Sunday)

That evening they were back at Finsterwald. Bedelia was taken up in the Spire, and she sent her report to the Council. When she finished she came back downstairs and was escorted into a room where Guiles was sitting at a conference table.

He stood and reached out to her, arms open. She went to his embrace and they hugged. This had become a ritual they followed each time they returned from a patrol. She settled into his bear hug and waited for him to finish. Then he pulled out a chair and motioned for her to sit down.

“The Colonel and Major will be here in a few minutes. They’re involved right now with the soldiers and the after action reviews. By the time they get here,” he said chuckling, “they’ll know more about the mission than we do.”

Bedelia had been stewing ever since they crossed the border. She had seen Guiles taunting Creedor and her heart almost seized up in her chest. Her commander was lucky to still be alive. Of the ten most dangerous on the planet, Creedor Kartz was at the top of the list.

“What ever prompted you to give him the high sign you dumb asshole,“ She said her eyes flashing. “That was the stupidest stunt you ever tried and you have done some really stupid things. Killing him is going to be difficult enough without you making it personal. The only way to take him down is with a blindside and now he’s going to be looking for you with a frequency that has your name on it.”

“It’s already is personal,” he answered…“and he’s already looking. He knows we’re on to him and its becoming as personal as it can get. Somebody needs to let this clown know that he’s not the only tough kid on the block. Somebody needs to start making him a wee bit nervous, getting him to start looking around over his shoulder. Up to now he’s had a free pass and I intend to call it in and punch his ticket.”

If you don’t change your approach, someone’s ticket is definitely going to get punched and it won’t be his. You try going nose to nose with him and he‘ll hand you your head. Unless you’ve forgotten, he was a quarter mile away and knocked you for a loop.”

“Well….that part was a bit of a surprise. I mean I expected a tingle but not the blow he delivered. But it was something I had to find out… and it gave me an opportunity to assess his psychic powers.. You know a little trick to get him to tip his hand.”

“I must have “stupid” tattooed on my forehead if you expect me to believe that. Trick, my petutti, it was spite, it was bravado, it was ego. It had nothing to do with planning, and everything to do with hostility, and posturing, and left you flat-assed in the streambed.

“Yeah, well just wait ‘til next time… and telling him to back off was exactly what the doctor ordered. I never knew a gesture could feel so good…until of course he hit me. Man, that was a wallop!”

“If that Monster had been half again as close, you’d be in the morgue, or at best, we’d be having this discussion in intensive care.”

“Ok, Bedelia…get it out of you. Vent it all out…holler and scream if it makes you feel better, but get used to it. That’s the way I am, and I intend to nail that bastard the first chance I get. Although, I will concede, that it’s going to require a bit more finesse than we‘ve demonstrated so far.”

“So what happens now?”

“In a few minutes we get debriefed. They will have a million questions about the report you gave to the Council and everything you and Marigold talked about. However, before they get here, I have a question to ask.”

“What’s that?”

“Where did you get the Scarab, Horance was so interested in?”

“That’s a long and personal story and not something I want to have to discussed with Colonel Sawyer or that Major, whatever his name is. it’s a sensitive subject and somewhat embarrassing.”

“If you want me to keep quiet you better start talking.”

“We were up in Pluto’s room and I saw it hanging on his chest.”

“I might have known. And what was the state of his dress, that allowed you such a good look?

“Don’t get nasty with me Guiles, and don’t threaten me. If you want to know, I’ll tell you but when you’re jealous you have a mean and ugly streak, and I’m not going to put up with it.”

“I’m not jealous.”

“Are too.”

“Am not…well maybe a little. It was just a little twinge…and I don’t know why…it just popped out…”

I’m not your personal property and you need to get past those sort of feelings…I have other interests besides you just the same as you have besides me.”

“Alright, alright for the god’s sake, alright…now tell me about the Scarab.”

“Anyway I saw Pluto wearing it and asked if I could get a closer look. He took it off and told me to put it on. I did and it bit into me and wouldn’t let go. I had to take it with me on the patrol. When I was talking to Marigold he sensed it and told me to take it off and low and behold…well you know the rest.”

“Seeing it shocked the heck out of me.”

“Why the sudden interest and why did seeing it have such a powerful effect on Horance?”

He reached behind his neck taking hold of a chain. With his other hand he began rubbing his chest, like something was itching beneath his service blouse. Then he pulled it slowly over his head and out from under his shirt. Hanging from the end was a Scarab identical to hers except that this one was still alive.

I can’t answer either question, because I simply don’t know. I’m the custodian for this one. I’m like the steward until my Mothers decides what to do with it. She’ll probably give it to my half-sister, Liope.”

There were sounds of footsteps and voices coming down the hall. He put it quickly back around his neck and out of sight. Colonel Sawyer and Major Renulli walked into the room carrying on an animated discussion. Seeing Bedelia, the Colonel stopped giving her a jaundiced look. She could see what was on his mind. He was thinking about her flip reference to his nick-name last weekend.

“Sorry for how I addressed you sir, It was a poor choice of words, prompted by the severe emotional trauma I was experiencing at the time.

“I might not be psychic but I’m not a fool,” he answered. “Trauma my ass. It was the bitch in you that got the upper hand…it had nothing to do with traumatization. It had everything to do with a woman’s need to piss someone off when they’re frustrated and angry. I’ve been married for forty years and no eighteen year old is going to dumb snooker me. I know why men were created and the purpose they serve in this world.“

He paused, eyes awaiting a response.

Bedelia obliged, “And why is that sir?”

“To provide a prey, when a woman decides to bite.”

Guiles and major Renulli chortled

Bedelia looked down at the floor shuffling her feet. The Colonel walked over took her chin and stared into her eyes.

“What you and Guiles did was simply amazing,” he said in sincere admiration. An intensity radiated up from the dark pools beneath her eyes and the effect was simply too much for him to bear. Breaking eye contact he continued. “We never anticipated the scope of what you two managed to accomplished. I’m in absolute awe. I will see you get a medal and expunge some of those black marks from your record. Not that it will really change anything…You won’t be able to explain how you got it, even though you get to wear it around, and no doubt your folder will soon become as red-flagged as it ever was.”

“How about a cash reward instead,” said Bedelia joking. Actually she liked medals, and delighted in admiring them on her dress uniform. They were a definite boost to her self esteem. Hush! She censored herself… Maybe he was referring to the Silver Crescent… she didn’t have that one and it came with a pretty ribbon. She’d take a medal over a piece of jewelry any day.

“I’ll tell you what,” he answered. “We’ll throw in the medal and you can call me “Pops,” any time you want to, as long you don’t go making a habit of it. Old men have their pride and pretense becomes much more important as we grow older.

“Thank you sir, I appreciative the offer.”

“Now, is there anything more you can tell me about the Glyph?”

“All I know is what’s in the report… what did you think of him?”

“He’s a veritable gold mine. He’s telling us thing s that go on at the “Compound,” that we never dreamed possible. You said that Marigold trusted him?“

“Implicitly! He has a mother that was supposed to be tagging along out of sight. Any sign of her?”

“He didn’t mention that part. No, but I can say for sure that nothing followed you though the gate. We would have known that for sure.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Lord Kulrick assembled the Council shortly after receiving the report.



“The revelations, and impacts, that have just been passed to us provide enough grist to keep us talking for the next ten years. There will be no more boring meetings, where we assemble and wonder what it is we need to talk about. Captain Standaloft and the Simian didn’t just communicate with Marigold, they did everything but shake hands. Ubocastore… pick up the thread and let us examine point by point the issues he presented us.”

The first point involved Cracious, son of King Malcomb and the Witch Miranda. Negotiations are underway to secure his release. I am not sure how to go about restoring his spirit but it is supposedly reposed in the Glyph..

“Tell us about the Glyph.”

“I have yet to receive a full report from Finsterwald but it appears he is familiar with everything going on in the Compound. Further that his mother is somewhere in the vicinity and we are asked to find a suitable home for her.

“What is a Glyph…never heard of one?”

I anticipated your asking and stopped by the Archives to do a quick record search. I could find but one reference and while I question it’s reliability, it’s all we have. A scroll from the first century reports that a Glyph is the male of a species generally found living in proximity to a female, called a Gloth. The Glyph is an extremely active shape shifter that can readily take the form of any living thing. In addition to that they can also acquire the spirit of one or more living creatures. Commonly when something is about to die and the Glyph is intrigued, he will take its form and siphon off its spirit, keeping it from returning to the Nether World. The Gloth is also a shape shifter but much larger. She tends to be sedentary, preferring to live in a deep damp place and seldom ventures out, except when she gets lonely and goes in search of a Glyph.

“I see. Make arrangements for the Glyph to be brought here so that we might have an opportunity to meet with him.”

That’s already in the works. Second is the issue of the Templers. The report only confirms our earlier suspicions. We notified them earlier and they are already beginning to evacuate their riches and families into the free territories. Third is the matter of the Empire’s motives. The report again confirms what we already suspected, that war is imminent and that a massive invasion will soon be underway. We are making preparations to at this time.

We did not know that the Golden’s were planning a revolt. If the empire loses its Simians and that capability shifts to our side of the accounting ledger, it is certain to have a huge impact in the years ahead. It could well be the single most important factor in shifting the balance of power in our favor. I recommend we get involved immediately and be close at hand when they rise up. Perhaps we could provide some military assistance but certainly some security as they make their way to safety. Perhaps you can talk to Olivia about a sanctuary in the Valley of Men since that seems to be where they are intent on going. Perhaps the Coven could be of some assistance there.


“I will speak with Olivia.”

Finally there is this character Kratz. At last we know who’s working behind the scenes and has been effective running their Counter Security Operations. He has a powerful psychic presence and we would be well served, to find a means to eliminate him. I suspect he is directly involved in the assassinations that are targeting our Simians. Last week an attempt was made on Susan’s life in Nabowia.

“I heard. Double the protection on around Bedelia. She is becoming our most valuable asset. I shudder to contemplate the risks we took sending her across the border.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


On Saturday evening Guiles and Bedelia set out for the Capitol in the Captain’s buggy. Close behind in a buckboard was an upgraded security team and an automatic crossbow.

Pluto arrived an hour early at the Woman’s barracks. Martha saw him pacing back and forth and took him by the arm and they went out on the porch and settled into a swing.

“Won’t be long now,” she told him giving his hand an encouraging squeeze.

“It’s nice of you to wait with me but you don’t have to. Cpt Standaloft is driving her down and I’m sure everything will be fine.”

“I’m not doing this solely for your benefit, Pluto.”

“Your aren’t?”

“No, I’ve been seeing Guiles and think he’s taking an interest in me.”

“Wow! Imagine that. Me with Bedelia and you with the Captain. Is it getting serious?”

“Not yet… how about with you and Bedelia?”

“It is with me and while I can’t speak for her, I have my fingers crossed.

“Well we’re probably still a ways behind you. Have you kissed her?”

“Not exactly.”

“Maybe we’re not so far behind after all. What’s your next move?”

Huh?

“Don’t Huh me… we grew up together. I know how your mind works.”

“Come on, did I ever give you a move?”

“Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten.”

“That didn’t really qualify. It was more like an experiment that you let get out of hand.”

“I let get out of hand.”

“OK, so we both got a little carried away… but what the heck, it was only a kiss.”

“There was some groping to go with it, if my memory serves correctly…but regardless of all that you’re avoiding my question. What did you mean by not exactly. Did you or didn’t you?”

“No! we haven’t kissed…even though we did….”

“Did what?”

“I should have never mentioned it.. Forget I even brought it up.”

“Pluto La Vinneous, we have never had secrets before and don’t start this mincing bull with me now. Tell me what the two of you have been up to.”

“Swear to me you won’t breath a word of it to anyone.”

“Hinkum-Dinkum.“

“I took her to my bedroom and we buffed it, in front of each other.”

“Really now?” she said genuinely surprised… “Are you sure that’s all you did?”

“I swear that’s all we did. It wasn’t even my idea.”

“Oh, I see. It was all her idea,” she said sarcastically. “Wanton little Bedeila, I can’t imagine what came over her.”

“It wasn’t like that at all. She caught me wondering what she looked like underneath her clothes and all. It was one of those things a guy wonders about that he has absolutely no control over.”

“Men are so nasty…and they’re all alike… Somehow I always thought you were immune to all that…”

“The heck you did….remember when we kissed?”

“How could I forget…? It was the last time I ever let you come near me.”

“Then quit acting so smug and superior. As I recall you didn’t want to stop. Put your hand down there and pulled mine between your you know whats.”

“Never did!”

“Did so.”

She began laughing and rocking back and forth…the seriousness of what had once seemed so important, vanished and he became infected by the humor. They chuckled together.

“Anyway she caught you fanaticizing about her and called you on it?”

“Yes she did. She told me that since I was so curious about what she looked like naked, that maybe it was time I got a real look. And while I was at it she might as well take a gander at me.”

“That is so neat… Guiles and I aren’t close to there yet.”

Suddenly there came the noise of hoof beats, clopping down the drive. Pluto’s heart leapt. “Look, they’re coming,” he said standing up. “Don’t say a word…no that won’t be enough…. Don’t even think about what I told you.”

When the Buggy stopped Pluto reached inside, taking hold beneath her arms and lifted Bedelia to the ground. He twirled her around and around. “Welcome back!” he said joyfully, “Welcome back!”

Guiles tied the horse to the post and looked up at Martha sitting on the porch swing. Turning to Sgt Hollis he said. Why don’t you get someone to see to her things. There’s someone I need to talk to.

Bedelia turned to get her gear.

“I’ll see this gets to your room ma’am,” said a young private walking up.

Pluto squeezed her hand, and they looked moon eyed at one another.

“Come inside,” she said. There’s a huge old ballroom I want you to see, that’s been converted into a lounge where the girls can sit and talk to their boyfriends. I’ve been meaning to show it to you and right now is as good a time as any. She took him by the hand and led him up the stairs. Guiles and Martha were sitting there swinging back and forth. She winked at him and he shook his head in warning.

“And where in the world do you think you’re going Bedelia, with my EX boyfriend,” she asked with an innocent smile.

“I’m just going to show him around,” she answered, catching herself blushing. “He‘s mine now and I‘ll take him wherever I want to.” With that she took him primly by the arm and escorted him inside. The room was not well lighted, but there was enough for Pluto to see what was going on. On love seats, over stuffed chairs and standing along the walls young men and women were embracing one another and kissing. He was struck by the diversity of positions and the intensity of the clutching.

“What’s going on in here?” he asked, knowing full well, but surprised to see it so blatant and open.

“What do you think they’re doing? Shush now.” She led him over to a couch and they sat down together. He had barely time to think before she threw her arms around his neck and began kissing him. Their lips pushed together, whooshing around, back and forth. After a moment she pulled away. With a sigh she exhaled and threw herself back into the cushions. “Whew!” she said, “I’ve been waiting to do that for a long time. You’re a good kisser… did you miss me?”

“You bet I missed you,” he replied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Back on the porch Martha and Guiles sat quietly together on the swing. It rocked slowly back and forth.

“You look tired.” she said turning to look more fully in his face.

“I am,” he answered, but finding you dutifully, awaiting my return has given me a new vitality.”

“I wasn’t waiting dutifully for anything, Dreamer. I was keeping Pluto company. He was waiting for Bedelia and was extremely nervous.”

“I see…Pluto was nervous. Want to take a buggy ride?”

“You talked me into it,” she said rising.

He still held her hand and squeezed. She pulled him to his feet and he was surprised by the strength in her arm. She felt that anticipated tingle flow through her. It raced around inside, animating parts she preferred not to think about. “Just around the park, Guiles, I have classes in the morning.”

“I have some business as well,” he replied,. helping her up to the seat. He walked around and stepped up next to her. Shaking the reins the horse stepped out down the driveway.

“How was the mission?” she asked.

“Trying,” he answered. “I’m drained… but when I saw you, I felt a surge and my heart started going bumpety-bump.”

“I’m glad to see you home safely.”

“Was Pluto the only reason you were on the porch?”

“Maybe not the only reason.”

“What is it with you two anyway?”

“We go back a long way…we were promised once, a long time ago.”

I didn’t realized, he said in surprise. Sorry, if I intruded..

It’s no intrusion. It was one of those things that finally reached the end of it’s tether. We’re still close and we always have been in other ways…he’s like my brother.“.

“I see, a brother.”

“No! I mean it… we never had the kinds of feelings you’re wondering about…and now he belongs to Bedelia. They’re starting to get serious.”

“How serious?”

“Is that important to you?”

“It shouldn’t be, but it is…actually the analogy you just described, is the same for Bedelia and I. She’s like a sister. I took her on her first patrol.”
He jumped unexpectedly as her hand touched his thigh.

“Don’t be so nervous,” she scolded. “Touching is good. It’s a connection between two people who have feelings for one another.”

“Do you have feelings for me Martha?”

“Maybe, but it’s taking some getting used to.”

“I’m growing fond of you.”

“Her hand continued sliding back and forth.”

He shifted uncomfortably

Suddenly it dawned on her. “Gee Willikers,” she said pulling abruptly away. I suddenly realized what you’re referring to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday morning Bedelia and Martha met for breakfast.

“So, how did things go with you and Guiles last night?”

“He seemed tired at first. We went for a buggy ride around the park.”

“Ouuuh la la…I wondered, why he threw his sleeping bag into the back…I was afraid to ask.

Calm that imagination of yours…it was nothing like that. He was just tense and needed some winding down.”

“And you just happened to have the right key?”

“Well I did rub his leg while we sat together.”

“I knew it! I knew it!”

“But only for a minute…”

“Why did you stop?”

“Because I just did, that’s all, I just did.”

Bedelia, who was eavesdropping on her thoughts, clapped her hands in delight. They laughed much harder than the situation warranted. It went on longer than it should have and had an almost hysterical quality. Both young women had an emotional attachment to each other’s man and while on the one hand they wanted each other to connect, on the other, they didn’t. Their wires had become crossed and there was a hysteria to their levity that was emotional and confusing. As it began to subside Martha told her friend.

“Guiles is so open and straightforward…I know exactly what he’s thinking and I have absolutely no gift for telepathy.”

“Don’t be so sure about that,” answered Bedelia. “When we knife fight and you get that intense look, I feel something flicker in my mind, fast and elusive moving faster than the speed of thought.”

“Yeah right, I was tested when I reported to Bellmont. Sorry, no telepathic gift.”

“Maybe they didn’t ask the right questions or look in the right places…I know you’re strong, fast and coordinated but I get the distinct feeling that something else accounts for the way you dominate everyone else in the martial arts.”

“What are you saying?”

“You have something I can’t quite put my finger on. I’m not sure but I think telepathy works at a conscious and unconscious level. At the conscious I can read another person’s thoughts as clearly as my own, but when we knife fight it isn’t your thoughts that are particularly important. I mean you can get an idea of an opponents general strategy, from what they’re thinking but the outcome will rest more on intuitive responses to opportunities that open in close in a heartbeat.”

“Something too fast to think about?”

“Exactly, its not a conscious but an unconscious reckoning. Its your brain orchestrating neurons, sending signals to your muscles, reacting at the speed of light, directing you to do things a hundred times faster than you can ever think about. That’s the kind of telepathy you have and that’s what gives you such a dominating edge over everyone else. You know what your opponent is about to do, in that blink of an eye and make adjustments just a split second faster.”

“I hate to admit it, but when the contest is over I can’t really explain how I do all the things I do. I do it without thinking.”

“Oh, you think about it all right, but so fast your recollection can’t keep track of it.”

“An interesting notion, one we need to explore during our next session. Now we need to get back on track. This is Sunday and we need to discuss that subject near and dear to our hearts. How did Pluto respond when you took him into the Pit?”

“He seemed taken back at first but he adjusted quickly.”

“He kissed you?”

“What do you think?”

“You kissed him back?”

“We were both involved.”

“Are you beginning to fall in love with him?”

“I’m past the beginning, but I don’t want to rush things. He is primed and straining on the bit and I’m pulling back on the reins. I feel the power of his physical need and respect the way he keeps it under control.”

“I didn’t realize that Guiles felt that kind of attraction for me until I touched him last night. I honestly was trying to get him to relax when out of the blue, I suddenly realized he wanted me as a woman. Maybe I shouldn’t have been so naïve, but I thought we were still in the collegial phase.”

“Surprise!, surprise! Now that you know better you need to encourage those feelings you’ve aroused. Keep him on his toes. He is a very sensual person.”

“What makes you say that?”

“When he rubs my feet at the end of the day I feel it in the way he gives me pleasure.”

“He does what?”

“He rubs my feet and gives me pleasure. Sometimes I even have an…”

“You’re kidding…I thought he was like a brother.”

“When you’re tired, aching and scared and wondering if you’ll still be around in the morning you take those special moments wherever you get them. I don’t love him or want to be intimate with him or anything like that, but I do love the way he rubs my feet.”

“That’s the darndest thing I ever heard of.”

“Didn’t you ever do things with Pluto like that?”

“Not like that, though we did…”

“What?…Tell me…I can’t read your mind when you won’t let me…Tell me.”

“We used to swim naked together before I started having my period. He used to towel me dry, but I’ve never done what you describe and I‘m sure I‘d remember if it ever happened.”

“Didn’t he ever make your pulse beat fast and your heart start to flutter?”

“Only once…it was after that, I decided to go to Bellmont.”

“Tell me! Tell me!”

“We were racing each other around the lake. For a big guy he can really run when he wants to. Anyway we were neck and neck, each trying to be the first one to the beach. He let me win, but tackled me into the sand. Then we started wrestling and before I knew it, he was kissing me and I was kissing him and we were rolling around on top of each other. Then he started really breathing hard and his hands started feeling me and I started feeling back…and I didn’t want it to stop and it almost didn’t. Luckily some hikers happened by…”

“So why all the trauma?”

Because I didn’t love him, never have and never will. If I’m going to do that with someone it has to be someone I really love. I know that might sound strange but I have this fear of a physical relationship with someone I don’t love. Does that make sense?”

“Does to me.”

“Don’t get me wrong. Pluto and I practically grew up together. His mom and mine were close friends. The promised us. Climatus and my Dad were very close, how close I don’t know but the La Vinneous family took us under their wing when times were desperate. He was my best friend…but as time went on I knew I didn’t love him. Still I didn’t want to let him go.”

“I don’t think that a pure “Friendship” can exist between a man and a woman. Eventually one or the other always wants to take the next step and when the other hesitates, up goes the rejection flag and the relationship is never the same afterwards.”

“That’s exactly what I’m getting at. That’s the way it was with Pluto and I. He tired of the big brother role and wanted something more. My body was willing enough, but my spirit shook her head and dragged me off to Bellmont.”

“Well you never really lost him, Martha. Sometimes I feel jealous when I see how strong his feelings still are, and his are not so different from yours. But time moved on and now he’s turned to me, the same way you’re turning to Guiles.”

“You think so?”

“I know so without the slightest doubt. I have the gift and get to see the evidence, whether I want to or not. You’re falling in love with Guiles.“

“What am I going to do Bedelia. I can’t sleep, I can’t think, I can’t get him out of my mind. Sometimes when I actually listen to what he says I get so mad at him I just want to bite… what am I going to do?”

“Relax! Enjoy it while you can. Have some fun with it. Soon enough you’ll grow old and all you’ll have left is a bag full of memories. Make sure those memories are as rich as you can make them. It’ll give you something to sit by the hearth and think back on. And you’ll be able to tell yourself you tasted of life and all the wonder it had to offer.”
© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674563-Bedelia-Chapter-10--Home-Alive