*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674999-Elementals
by Belle
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1674999
Four members of the different Elemental clans must quest out to save everything they love
“Lillie! Are you coming?”

I ran after Braeden to the town center. My boots had gotten wet when I slipped on the rocks, so they were heavy and cold. I quickly brought my hand up and the water in my boots flowed out in a little stream. I twisted it in the air and sent it twirling to the ground. My boots were dry and warm again. I resumed the race to town, only stopping to dodge when Braeden launched water at me. I scampered after him through the village gates and followed to our family hut.

My father, Kayko, and mother, Miedra, hugged me when I flew through the doorway to our home. Braeden was receiving a pat on the head when the horns sounded.

Father flew out of the house toward the chief's hut. Braeden followed right after him and Mother and I followed after them.

"Momma? Is something bad happening?"

"Shh, Lillie. Everything is okay.

My eyes were wide as I looked upon the gathering of our village. Everyone was crammed into the large clearing around Chieftain Zaou's hut. A large sled was approaching fast from the north. A white flag was waving at the top of it. When it reached the village gates, Elementals flanked its journey to the center of our meeting. An elderly man stood up from the sled as it came to a rest. The man looked tired. His papers identified him as Professor Pei of the Air Clan. He had pushed his way south east to our village.

Chief Zaou spoke in his broad clear voice.

"Professor Pei. Welcome to Kirrosha. Accommodations can be made for your stay at the Inn if you wish."

"Yes, yes. I would most appreciate a room and a nice bed."

Professor Pei smiled and his teeth were neat and straight. Pei's voice was a tad bit leathery. Like he hadn't talked in quite a while.

"Chieftain Zaou. I am here on a big mission. At dawn I must hold a meeting. Empirical orders."

"Very well. Everyone return at dawn."

I watched everyone disperse towards their homes. Professor Pei walked gingerly towards the large Inn for the night. Mother was tugging my hand. i walked with her home as Father and Brae followed. I eat my food and said my prayers. Mother then tucked Brae and me into our beds.

"Good night, little ones. We will see you in the morning."

Father kissed my forehead and patted Brae's head. Mother wrapped me in a hug and kissed my cheek. She did the same to Brae. They stood and exited our room, blowing out the candle as they went. Leaving us in complete darkness. I heard Braeden whisper

"Lil. Are you awake?"

"Yeah."

"What do you think Professor Pei wants?"

"I don't know. What do you think he wants."

"I think he's come to rescue me. He wants to adventure off to the farthest reaches of the land, rescuing beautiful women and battling dangerous beasts."

I shook my head at him. Braeden had an imagination. There was no way old man Pei would be able to travel for long periods of time. He was an old man! Why would Brae need to be rescued anyway. He had me. He had our parents. Why would he want to leave?

I heard soft snoring sounds coming from beside me. Brae had fallen asleep during my silence. I rolled onto my side and tried to block him out. I fell asleep thinking of adventures and dangerous beasts, so my dreams were riddled with them. I woke to the soft calling of my mother.

                                                    ***

Professor Pei stood in the center of our people. He held three small scrolls. he opened the first one and read out;

"Lilliuean, daughter of Kayko and Miedra. Please come forward."

I stared at the old man. Brae gently pushed me forward. I stumbled down the path to stop before him. He smiled encouragingly at me.

"Hello Lilliuean. I am assuming you know who i am?"

I nodded.

"Good. I am also assuming you are an Elemental?"

I nodded again.

"Excellent. Would Kayko and Miedra join us?"

Mother and Father walked down and stood beside me. Pei handed them a scroll. Father opened the scroll and read. He gasped and shuttered. Mother took the scroll from him and read it too. She placed a hand on her heart and clutched father's arm. Brae appeared behind them and read the scroll too. He glared at me and tossed the scroll on the ground at my feet. i picked it up and read it.



"Kayko, son of Kin, and Miedra, daughter of Mai.

I am pleased to inform you that his Imperial Majesty, Emperor Shan, is in need of your daughter. Lillieaun is believed to have the necessary power to fulfill the Prophecy of Katsumi. She will be expected at the palace for the hot season opening.

My sincerest apologies

General Soyinka."



I looked up at Pei. He was still smiling. Father turned his gaze on him and he still smiled. He was still smiling by the time my stuff had been loaded up into his sled. Along with Brae's stuff. He was to accompany us to the palace and come back after we reached there. Brae wouldnt look at me while our stuff was being packed. He didnt touch me as we rode away from our parents. Our home. Our friends. Our way of life. He didnt look at me once until we were far away. But when he did. His eyes were filled with a mixture of glee and pleasure. He was getting the adventure he wanted.

Pei told us we would be stopping at the Air Clan's main city, Chika, to pick up another person. His name is Sora.

(to be continued)



© Copyright 2010 Belle (marleybelle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674999-Elementals