*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1675032-Tainted
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Supernatural · #1675032
I knew I was special. I was a hybrid of two different species that otherwise were enemies.
I think it would not be wrong to admit that I, Kali Gainforth, am an extraordinary creature.


You would assume that I am bragging, or talking big, but I am not. I am human, but not completely. I am a vampire, but only partly. I would not say that I am proud to be a hybrid, but I'm certainly not ashamed of it in any way.


My heritage has allowed me to live for many years, much longer than a normal human's lifespan, although I am sad to reveal that it has not granted me immortality. They say it's because I already have too much human blood in me. That same human blood had protected me from being scorched by sunlight like the other pure vampires and had allowed me to roam every corner of the earth that I fancied. Though I might add that sunlight does make me weak.


I have been to many places, too many to count, and some I have already forgotten. I have met King Henry the Eighth of England; I was there when the Eiffel Tower was finished; and pretended to be a Jew during the Holocaust just to see what it was like in a Nazi concentration camp. Like I said, too many places. And by that, I also meant too much time to waste.


I may not be immortal, but I have lived for hundreds of years.


Now you might imagine my life to be solitary, lonely or even sad, but it is not. I have a companion who has stayed with me for over a century now. He is as extraordinary as I am, for he is a hybrid also. Though his case is much more unusual than mine, it has allowed him to live and stay with me for such a lengthy period, and his ability to heal wounds with a single drop of his tear comes in handy sometimes. At this you might have been able to guess what he is, but for those who have not, let me tell you: Firo is half-human and half-phoenix.


As he had told me, phoenixes have the ability to take a human form, and that's what his father did. And then, as usual love stories go, Firo's father fell in love with a country girl. And they had Firo. Since Firo's mother was a human, she died. That was when Firo's father turned back into a phoenix and left his own son because of heartbreak. Firo lived alone since then, never staying to one place, until he found me.


He has been my keeper, my caretaker, since I had never had the talent to watch my own steps. Ever since I woke up to find him tending to the wounds I previously had with his tears, he has been with me through thick and thin. What I cannot do for myself, he does for me. You see, phoenixes can be even more graceful and able than vampires. On my part, I make him see that there's something good out there, something he had overlooked with his wary eyes that had seen too much loneliness and pain in living alone.


For the last fifteen years, we have resided in a large manor in the outskirts of a small town on our own, just the two of us. It proved to be easier to have one place permanent to go home to, rather than traveling and staying wherever we are until we want. Now, when we travel, we have some place to look forward coming back to. Firo had made sure that life here in the manor would be comfortable and easy, if not for the both us, for me. He even chose a room for me, the one with the view of the forest and mountains peacefully coinciding with each other, so I would never, ever feel alone.


I was admiring that very same view this chilly morning, when Firo knocked and entered my room. Amidst the wariness and sharpness in his gray eyes, there was always something affectionate in the way he looked at me.


“Have you slept well?” he inquired in his deep voice, his tone almost lovingly.


I smiled. “Yes, I have. Thank you.”


He came within my reach and held out his hand for me to hold. At this point, you are presuming, I'm sure, that we are lovers of some sort. We are not, and that is all I would have to say.


“Breakfast is ready. Would you like me to bring it here or do you want to eat in the dining room?” He sat on the bed beside me.


“Have you had your breakfast?” I asked, although I already know that he doesn't eat much. Sometimes he just consumes food because I asked him to.


“Would you like me to have breakfast with you?” asked Firo, smiling. His smile lit up his eyes.


I nodded, and he led the way to the grand dining room, currently empty. He pulled out a chair for me and asked me to sit down, while he fetched the food from the kitchen. I sat there like a good kid, until he came out with a dish which strongly smelled of berries. He laid the dish in front of me and went away to get water. I smiled at him as soon as he settled beside me.


“Berry compote in this early morning?” I asked.


“You don't like it?” asked Firo, rising about two inches from his seat, ready to get back to the kitchen. “Shall I make another meal?”


I giggled softly as I placed my hand over his. “No, I was just surprised. You don't usually serve something sweet at breakfast. You said I can't have too much sugar in me because I get too energetic.”


“Oh,” he said, relaxing. He can be pretty taut sometimes. He ran his hand through his golden hair, as he chuckled. When I say golden, I mean it. His hair really was the color of molten gold today. Yesterday it was more like bronze, and last night before I slept it was dark red. It changes.


I silently ate my berry compote on French toast and Firo watched me intently. If I was another person, I would have felt tormented from the attention he was paying me. But somehow I got used to it over the years, though I still get embarrassed sometimes.


“Do you have any plans for today?” I asked as I went with him to the kitchen to do the dishes.


“Actually, I have,” he said. He stopped me from lifting hand to help him. “We are going outside.”


I raised an eyebrow. “What for?” As I recall, we didn't plan any out-of-town trips.


“It may have escaped your notice, but it is the end of the month,” he said solemnly. I caught his mood instantly and frowned.


“I'm still good,” I said.


“We cannot take chances. People are getting more and more curious,” he reasoned.


“People should mind their own business,” I argued.


He lifted his eyes to look at me and my mouth automatically closed, defeated.


“Just two days ago, two men came here. Luckily for them, you were asleep. I didn't answer their calls, and the doors were locked naturally, so they went away not long after. People are getting close,” said Firo.


Suddenly I didn't want to look at him and my feet seemed to be the most interesting object in the world. I felt his hand on my cheek.


“Do you want me to just bring back--”


“No,” I interrupted. “I'll go.”


The end of the month meant I had to attend to my vampiric needs, meaning I had to consume blood. Not necessarily human's blood, just blood. I had to, or I'd be to thirsty and lose control. When that happens, I would instinctively kill everyone in my range of view, even Firo. Well, that was hypothetically speaking, since I've never gone too long without feeding, and the thought of killing Firo was too unbearable. I agreed to his proposal to hunt every time the month dies, so it would be orderly and we both figured that if I get accustomed to the pattern, I would be less likely to kill unsuspecting humans.


But I didn't want to prey on human beings. Not that they hold any sentimental value for me. I just don't want to hear them begging for their lives, screaming, clawing me, as if they had any chance against me.


I've killed humans before. And they taste good. But I don't want them, because they're crabby and they die too slowly. You had to drain them completely of blood, and that could take nearly an hour, or even longer when you weren't thirsty. Otherwise, they'd run off and tell your secret and you're done. But Firo taught me manners. He said it wasn't appropriate to eat humans because I was still one of them, albeit not entirely. So I started hunting mammals.


It was hard at first. Even though I was faster and smarter than animals, it was hard predicting what they would do next when I'm tracking them down. It's shameful to admit that Firo caught my first victim because I could not do it myself. I did not want to devour the prey in front of him, because I didn't want him to see how monstrous I was, but he insisted. And so I feasted on the deer's blood before him. The blood is much different from a human's, heavier and less tastier, but it wasn't unpleasant. It was my first animal victim, after living on human's blood for most of my life. And since then, Firo tags along when I hunt, making sure I was successful and that I had not preyed on a human.


“Change into something more sturdy, will you?” said Firo as he finished drying the dishes. “You wouldn't want to ruin your favorite pajamas.”


“Right.” I went back to my room and traded my cotton pajamas and slippers for jeans, a black button-up shirt and hiking boots. Comfortable for killing. Lovely.


A typical vampire would hunt at night. Everybody thinks that would be the most convenient, since sunlight incinerates the usual vampires. But since we're hunting animals deep into the forest, daytime is fine with me. Also, since the sun's light weakens me, the animals are killed in a less horrible way.


Five minutes later, Firo came to my room again dressed up as casually as I was-- jeans, simple shirt and sneakers, since he was just standing by-- ready to go.


“Can we go?” he asked.


Now that my mind was set on hunting, I felt ravenous. But I didn't have to worry about anything, because he was with me and I can be my predatory self without scaring him or grossing him out. He had seen me too many times before, and even if he didn't like what he saw, he stood by to aid me if I needed it.


“Of course.”


We went through the front door; he had made sure the coast was clear of humans. Then we ran-- at least I did, he was more like gliding in the air-- towards the direction of the forest.


The feel of the soft underbrush beneath my feet felt good. I could hear the crunch of everything that was crushed by either my feet or my hands or my mere speed, I could catch the sound of every breath the forest took, and Firo's quick steps not too far on my left. The sounds I usually drown out by my thoughts I let them all in now, trying to absorb every resonance of life around me. I got a whiff of deer due west, and when I caught Firo's eyes, he nodded to show that he had smelled it too. We turned to that direction.


We reached a pasture, where, sure enough, there were less than ten deer grazing contentedly on the grass. Perfect. I glanced at Firo and saw him sitting serenely on a tree branch. If he was a normal human, the branch would have collapsed with his weight. But no, Firo can choose to be as light and balanced as a bird. He gave me a reassuring smile. I lunged at the nearest stag.


The antlers broke like mere toothpicks when I snapped them with my hands, exerting a little more effort than usual, for I was not under the shade of trees and the sun bathed me with its light. The stag galloped around wildly, trying to shake me off of him. Sometimes animals can be as difficult as humans. I'm certain I looked like an idiot trying to hold on for dear life on a mechanical cow, the kind I see on television shows. I decided it wasn't appropriate to play with food, so I sank my teeth into its neck.


Blood poured into my mouth and I was lost in a pseudo heaven for a second or two until I swallowed, and more blood surged into my mouth. The metallic taste was nothing new and anything after the first swig seemed boring. Unlike other vampires, I drank only out of necessity, although I would not deny that drinking blood is a most wonderful sensation. The stag stopped resisting after a few minutes, and I gallantly guided the animal to lie on the grass. Another few moments and I think I drained it of blood as I felt its heartbeat slow. Concluding that its death was coming just a few moments later, I straightened up, feeling refreshed and stronger, and looked around.


The pasture was already empty. The other deer must have ran off after sensing danger. I couldn't help but smirk at the thought. It was a sadistic idea, but drinking blood does have its side effects. I heard Firo jump down from the tree, heard him as his feet landed softly on the ground, and heard him approach me, but I didn't turn around. I was still enjoying the aftertaste of the red liquid that sustains my kind. Firo placed a hand on my shoulder and I took a deep breath before I spun around to face him. His pulse radiated from his wrist and I was still feeling quite ravenous, so I didn't speak. One wrong breath, and he could be dead.


Firo dabbed a trickle of blood from the corner of my mouth with his thumb. “Are you still thirsty? The others aren't too far away.”


I could not express my gratitude enough. I know I looked anything but revolting when I feed, but still, here he was, as though he was wiping water from my lips instead of blood. I realized I was not too different from the pure vampires, no matter how much Firo tries to tell me otherwise, no matter how much I deny it to myself. Somehow I figured I should be used to that thought whenever I hunt, but I found it hard to accept.


Firo looked at me quizzically, I suppose he was trying to read me, but I smiled before he could do so. “Well?” he asked.


“I think I lost my appetite,” I answered, and it was technically true. Introspection was never good for me, especially right after I drink blood.


“Are you sure?”


“Yes.” I held his hand away from me, wishing he never touched me, hoping my face didn't betray my words. I was tired of our routine, actually. I never really lost control before and I'm sure I can go for longer periods without blood now.


He lowered his hand and looked towards the direction of our house. “Do you want to go back now?”


I shook my head and started going the other way, knowing he would follow me. He did, and he took my hand casually, acting as though it was the most natural thing in the world. His warm pulsating hand felt good against my otherwise cool skin.


“Watching you never grows old,” he said as we entered the canopy of trees. The forest sounded more silent than usual; maybe every creature has witnessed my feast earlier.


“You actually enjoy watching me kill?” I asked, unbelieving.


“No,” he answered, beaming. “I was referring to just watching you, whatever you're doing.”


“Why don't you ever grow tired of me?” I asked, looking up, pretending the question was as light as it sounded. I threw him a sidelong glance and saw him still beaming and looking at me. I gazed back up, just in time to see a sparrow dart past us.


He chuckled. “Because I don't. Period.”


We continued aimlessly inside the forest for a few more minutes, until I heard a sound that made me turn around.


“Did you hear that?”


Firo looked back from where we came from. “Hear what?”


“I heard a 'click'. Are there any houses near to the forest besides ours?” I asked. There was no mistaking the next sound I heard: a door closing.


“No, I don't think so.”


I eased my hand out of his grip and walked a few steps back, straining to hear more. No other sound followed.


“I think we should head back,” he suggested and I knew better than to argue. There was a good chance that somebody had broken into our house and I would not stand for it. And neither will Firo, I'm sure.


I gave him a nod and we took off again. I could feel the effects of blood already taking place in me; I was faster and it felt easier to brush off branches and twigs on my way and I was more aware of my surroundings than before I drank blood. We reached the front doors and our suspicion was confirmed instantly: the door was left slightly ajar.


I quickly sniffed the air around us and tensed.


“What is it?” asked Firo.


“Humans, three or four of them,” I responded, taking in the different scents. Tobacco, leather, cheap perfume, watermelon, and something piny. Though uncertain why, I liked the fresh scent of pine.


Firo grabbed me by the shoulders and pushed me to the ground, and then he whispered, “I want you to run quietly around the house and use the tree underneath your window to climb into your room. Stay there until I've taken care of this mess.”


I was not afraid but I whispered back when I answered him. “They're mere humans. Why do I have to hide from them?” And then it hit me that that was actually a pretty stupid question. I wasn't ordered to hide for my protection, but for the humans'.


Firo must have guessed what I have perceived because he placed a hand on my cheek reassuringly. “I swear, this is for you. You'd regret killing them, and we'd have to deal with their bodies, so let's just avoid confrontation.”


How many times have we run across a group of unsuspicious travelers? Every time, we just had to run away, find another quiet place, move on. But today was unlike all the other run-ins with humans. We have established a home in this manor and we couldn't just move away like we have always done before we settled here. We chose this quiet town in the first place because we were less likely to be noticed in a place were the people are too busy minding and mending their own miserable lives to notice two people setting up a house near the forest.


I nodded, looking around furtively. We stood up at the same time and he straightened his shirt and took a deep breath. He smiled my favorite smile, the kind that reached his eyes. “As you said, they're mere humans. Whatever can they do to us?”


I went on my way, exerting even more care to be silent, not because I was afraid, but because Firo told me to. I took every step slowly, taking my time, since humans were stubborn and Firo would have a hard time sending them away. What would I do inside my room anyway? I thought all of these precautions were ridiculous; they were humans, I can just break their necks and run with Firo. But no, I wasn't supposed to do that. Their lives were precious because they're oh-so-normal and helpless.


Irritated as I was, I drowned every other sound by playing Symphony No. 9 inside my head. It was easy, for I already learned the piece by heart.


When I reached the huge oak tree, I noticed the piny smell getting stronger, and a heartbeat grow louder, but I ignored all of it. Firo would take care of it as he said. I, I mean, they have nothing to worry about. I was going to be a good vampire and stay out of their way. I climbed cat-like onto the branches that I decided was sturdy enough to bear my weight. The window of my room was open, thanks to my sightseeing earlier this morning, making everything much easier than it already was.


Swinging my legs back and forth a few times to gather force, I let go of the branch I was holding onto above my head and shot inside the window, landing onto my bed with a soft thump. The fresh piny scent became even stronger inside the room. And Beethoven's music was penetrated by the loud beating of a human heart.


And that was when I noticed I wasn't alone.
© Copyright 2010 kimono2007 (kimono2007 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1675032-Tainted