*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1675078-ENDLIFE-Chapter-0-Prologue
Rated: · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1675078
Prologue to the main story. From the point of view of the soldier Jack Issac.
END:LIFE

Chapter 0: Prologue

The strong live, and the weak dies off. Looking at where I am right now, I can't help but wonder. If we were to abide by the rule of the jungle, what is the use of fighting back?

Humans. Always the proud creatures that thinks they're the strongest. They'll never accept defeat, even in the face of total despair,
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

2020 A.D., Earth;

The war on terror in the Middle East had long since been past breaking point. The world was broken into pieces, and everyone was fighting for their own cause.

It was then, amidst all the fighting, that 'they' appeared. Many names were given to them, but deep down everyone knew, 'they' are demons straight from the depths of Hell itself.

When in crisis, humans would miraculously band together, ignoring all ethnic and racial borders, breaking all religion walls, to fight against a common foe. The demons that appeared out of the sundered earth threatened the world, and the world is fighting back. Thus begins the New Conflict calender (N.C. Calender)

The demons are not easy foes. Their scales are as strong as metal, and their claws and fangs could cut through the strongest armor man could ever imagine.

Through sheer determination and unity, mankind had been able to hold back the demons' advance. They are also able to hold some ground for themselves, their final footholds in the world they used to call their own.

Three years of fighting had not wavered the demons even one bit, but the humans had became much smarter and new ways were devised to counter the demons. The war is at a stalemate, nobody holds the card to turn this war in their favor.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________


25th September 2023A.D. / 3 N.C. , Northern Europe;

The 8th Mobile Unit of the Western Guards led by me, along with remnants of the other units mobilized in the area, were the only survivor of today's battle with the demons. Many blood were shed today, but we managed to hold off the advancing demon forces.

We sat around our small bonfire, as a few of us helped dispose the bodies of the dead in a fire. Everyone was tired, afraid . I could see the fear in the face of every man, young and old, the shock and terror from the last battle had yet to leave them.

“We're moving out.” I said to my squad. It was nearing midnight, and most of the bodies of the earlier battle was already set ablaze. The stench was too much for my nose, and what's worse the smell could attract more demons towards us.

“Roger that.” Second Lieutenant Daniel Crane, one of the senior members of my squad got up and started packing up our gear. The more junior members followed suit, working fast to avoid detection from the demonic forces.

However before we could even finish packing, a loud screech filled the skies. It is as if it came from a million birds, loud and shrill, striking terror into the heart of every man in the squad. My worst fears came true when the skies are suddenly filled with lesser flying demons

“Take cover!” I called out desperately to my comrades over the loud screeching. Suddenly, the ground split as a gigantic subterranean monster erupted from underneath our feet. Screams was heard all over as some of my men were caught in the eruption and were sent flying to their deaths.

The few of us that made it to a safe cover quickly readied for the onslaught from the demons, weapons ready to fight to our last breath.

But then, the most curious thing happened.

The screeching stopped, and even the gargantuan monster from under the ground silenced. Then, in unison, all of the demons let out a low, almost beautiful sound. Its as if they are.... singing. The melody was sung for nearly an hour, before stopping beautifully.

Then, one by one, the demons flew away. The giant beast also went back into the ground, leaving us without much of a conflict, but raised a lot of questions all the same. The five of us that found the cover looked at each other, questions in our head unanswered.

“Search the area. I want to know what the hell going on here.” Daniel commanded the others, seeing I was still speechless from the recent events. “Let's get moving, Jack. We wouldn't want them to change their mind..” he tapped my shoulder, bringing me back to my senses. Nodding, I followed my squad out of the ruined building we used for cover.

“Major!” one of my men called out to me, running breathlessly towards me. Behind him were the rest of my men, some injured and must be assisted by the others, but fine as a whole. To my surprise, and I'm guessing the soldier's alarm, another one of my men were carrying a boy in his arms, about 12 in age, alive though slightly injured.

Looking at he fragile, innocent face of the boy I realized that the fight is for the sake of our next generations. They who will continue our fight. And we can't afford to lose....

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

To be continued....

© Copyright 2010 NinthWord (finalfreedom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1675078-ENDLIFE-Chapter-0-Prologue