*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676405-Moms-Diamonds
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1676405
A little boys journey to the store one cold, cold, winter day and what he discovered.
It is going to be cold, the hardwood floors told my feet that, when they met that morning. I walked very fast down the hall to the bathroom and did my bathroom stuff. I went back to my room and got out of my PJ's and into my school cloths. I then headed straight to the kitchen. "Hurry up and eat your breakfast or you'll end up walking to school alone" my Mom said as she kissed the top of my head. Every day I walked to and from school following behind my three big brothers and my one big sister.



Today would be different. At least this afternoon would be.We all lined up at the back door, Mom handed each of us our lunch bag. Each lunch bag contained a peanut butter sandwich, a couple of homemade cookies, and an apple. There were no such things as a juice boxes then, so we were content to get a drink of water from the water fountain in the hall at school. Mom also gave each of us a kiss on the cheek and some advice."You all behave yourselves today" she would say and send us on our way. I often would look back as we walked away from her and she always would have a smile on her face. My sister would tell me that it was a lonely smile. She wanted us not to know the hurt she was feeling and the loneliness she had, ever since our dad went to the hospital one day last year. He never came home. I hope I never have to go to there!



I sat in class all day waiting and counting the four silver coins in my pocket, I counted them at recess in the morning, I counted them several times at lunchtime and again I counted them during afternoon recess. When the last bell of the day rang out our release I headed straight across thee street and entered the department store that was there. I headed down a very wide set of stairs and across the room to the cashiers counter. The lady standing at the counter watched as I came up to the counter. She ask " Do you have enough money today?" I shook my head and with a big smile I said " Yes" and put the four coins on the counter. "Perfect! " she said " I will be right back." She was smiling the biggest smile I am sure I had ever seen in my whole. I never knew there were that many teeth in one mouth.



A few minutes later she returned, " Is it still very cold out?" she asked. "Yes, it is very ,very cold outside." I answered. "Give me your toque." she said as she lifted it from my head not waiting for a reply. She wrapped the toque around the plastic bag she had in her other hand. "We do not want it to freeze, do we?" she asked as she handed the toque back to me" Now off you go, get home as quickly as you can."



I rushed out of the store and headed straight home with the winter air pinching my ears every step of the way. My Mom was laying on her bed, her eyes were closed and she looked very sad. She must have heard me come walking into her room because as she opened her eyes her hands went straight to my ears. "Where's your toque?" she asked I handed the toque to her, " I got this for you and I had to keep it warm and I only had my toque to do that with." I answered back.



She lifted the plastic bag out of my toque and watch the little gold fish swim around and around.

" Why did you get me this beautiful little fish? " she asked very quietly. " Well" I replied," Everyone keeps telling me about how lonely you are ever since Dad went to the hospital last year, and now that I am at school every day you must be even more lonely. So I took all my money from helping clean up the neighbors yard and got you this gold fish to keep you company while I was at school. In all my six year old excitement I all most missed them. I had never seen them before and have not seen them since but I'll never forget the two small spark-lie diamonds that were on her cheeks Just before she wrapped her arms around me.









© Copyright 2010 Rudgar Witherspoon (johnhambrook at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676405-Moms-Diamonds