*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1677000-Moonlight-Choices
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Sample · Other · #1677000
moonlight choices
I stand on a tiny island in the middle of a lake, moonlight shines down, illuminating my surroundings with an eerie blue tinge. Theres a perfect stillness, that is both calming and unnerving, the forest trees that border the edges of the lake seem to whisper to themselves, the lake water looks as black as ink and is so tranquil that every now and then I walk to the edge and dip my toe into the water to make sure it is actually real.

Goosebumps cover my bare arms though I am not cold nor I am I scared. I am waiting for something, someone but I have been waiting so long and the night seems forever endless. I toy with the edges of my frayed white dress, thinking how once, long ago when I first found myself in this space, in this place of endless night, that I like dress I wear wasn't so frayed, so torn and worn.

Then with a snap of a twig that echoes throughout, he arrives. The first noise, apart from the whisper of the trees and the sound of my own voice I have heard in so long. My heart that stopped beating long ago, begins to pound in my chest. He runs toward me and dives into the lake, though as he gets closer it is obvious he has underestimated the depth of the water and the weight of his clothes are dragging him under. He barely makes it to the island on which I stand, and as he drowns he reaches out an arm, a grasping hand to me, just within reach..

The only question now though is, because I've been waiting so long, do I take his hand...or let us both suffer..
© Copyright 2010 ConsciouslyUnconcious (estelliano at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1677000-Moonlight-Choices