*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1677290-Lycanthropy-Charlottes-Story-Chpt-10
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1677290
The fight aftermath..
I can’t really describe this feeling. It’s like I was awake, but my eyes were closed. I could hear everything perfectly, but I couldn’t feel or see anything. I did feel sick. I heard voices around me, female.
“Should’ve seen that arm when she came in! Never seen anything like it- bone, blood, grass and sticks all mashed in together.” The woman clicked her tongue at the end to show her disapproval.
“What happened?” another woman asked, her voice sounded younger, eager.
“Car accident,” the older woman replied. “Stupid teenager, hit a tree.”
“Was she the driver?” the reply was full of surprise.
“No, no. He was driving. It’s so typical, too. The driver only ever gets minor injuries. It’s the passenger that takes the brunt!”
“Is the driver here?”
The woman clicked her tongue again. “Haven’t you seen him outside?”
There was a pause.
“Well- he’s been in the waiting room for hours, waiting for the girl to wake up. The only injury he had was a piece of wood stuck in his head. You know what was really strange, though,” her voice became hushed, “was they shaved his hair back, and then pulled out the chunk of whatever it was and all this blood started spurting out, and then it was gone! Healed.”
“What do you mean?” the younger woman’s voice was hushed too, but there was an urgency, and intensity to her tone.
“Well, I think it was just Jones’ drinking again on the job- it’s not unusual for a surgeon to drink so much, and all those hours he does!”
“So what do you think happened?”
The woman laughed. “Jones probably stitched him up and forgot he’d done it!”
The other woman laughed with her.
“He looks to be a bad sort, though.” The woman said darkly, her voice louder.
“How do you mean?”
There was a ruffle, like they were shaking out sheets, or making a bed.
“Oh, he’s covered it tattoos and scars- all over! Don’t know what a pretty thing like her’s doing with him.”
That ruffling sound again. I struggled to open my eyes.
“But anyway. As I was saying, it’s the driver that always walks away, and the passenger that’s left to rot in here.”
I felt my heart skip a beat.
“Jayne, don’t be so dramatic! She’ll go home as soon as she’s up and about.”
In my head, I rolled my eyes in relief.
“I know, but others don’t. If she had half a brain, she wouldn’t be here.”
“I haven’t seen him in here with her, though. Are you sure they’re together?”
“Of course!” the older woman replied tersely. “They won’t let him in here after the scene he caused yesterday! When he’d been stitched up, he demanded to see her, but she was still in surgery! He chucked a right tantrum, broke one of the chairs in the waiting area!”
He woman sighed with conspiratorial delight. “Really! Just because they wouldn’t let him see her?”
“Yes, and now Jones has decided he can’t see her at all just because of the fuss he made! He made an even bigger deal then! Jones put those two security guards outside this morning.”
“But he’ll have to take her home, I suppose.”
The older woman sighed. “Yes, he will. He still won’t tell us her name, so we can’t track down her family.”
I got my eyes open and the room slowly came into view. I was in hospital. Both my arms were bandaged. I felt terrible, sick and sore, and I wanted to leave. About five seconds after I opened my eyes, I spun in the bed and vomited onto the floor and all down the side of the bed. I heaved until tears spilled over my eyes and I wasn’t breathing. I couldn’t stop myself retching.
The women I had heard talking were nurses. One rushed to my side, the other flung the door open and yelled into the hallway, “Page Doctor Jones!” And then slammed the door closed again.
I was leaning on the rail at the side of the bed, staring at the mess on the floor and not caring. I felt slightly better.
“It’s just the painkillers, dear,” the older nurse said kindly, checking the beeping machine at my side. “They make everyone feel a little sick.”
I tugged at the tube taped to my wrist. “I want to go home,” I said faintly, frowning.
“Soon, dear, you will. You’re all better now. You just need to rest that arm of yours. Dr. Jones just wants to make sure you don’t get infected, and you’ll be free to go.”
“I want to go now.” I whimpered. I started to cry.
“Now, honey- be a big, brave girl!” It was the younger nurse, trying to lay me back down. I fought her hold, trying to pull away.
“I hate hospitals! I want to leave!” I spat through my tears, hating these women who kept me here. I longed for my bed, for my big wide window. For the first time, I missed Harriet, and Niko and Penny.
One nurse looked at the other. “We’ll have to give her something. Quick- pass me that.”
I followed her gaze to the metal tray behind the second nurse to where a needle lay. My eyes widened.
“No! No, please!” I cried, struggling madly. “I don’t want any!”
“It will make you feel better, dear. Hush now.” The young nurse handed the needle to the other.
I looked towards the door, still struggling with all my strength. Was he here? Was he waiting for me, like I’d heard? I didn’t even let my mind process it. The nurse had begun to load the clear serum into the syringe.
I struggled against the women’s grasps and screamed at the door. I knew that if he could hear me, he would come. I don’t know why I thought that, but I guess I thought he owed me.
“Malachai! Malachai!” I screamed to him, in the loudest voice I could. It came out as a hoarse shout, rather than a full bodied scream.
I heard a muffled shout, a crash, and then the door was flung open. The nurses both gasped and turned their heads to see him charging into the room. His face was fierce, his eyes fiery and alight with anger. His whole body seemed to pulsate and radiate ferociousness. As he reached the bed, the younger nurse scrambled out of the way, but the other flung her arm over me protectively.
“You can’t take her!” she cried, her voice fearful. “She needs care!”
He snarled at her and she withdrew her arm quickly, as if she’d been burned. She wasn’t paid enough to deal with these psychos!
Finally free of their strong hands, I yanked at the tape around my wrist and gave a small shout as a shooting pain went up my arm. The chord was out, though. I pulled at another that was taped to my chest and then he lifted me up and off the bed. The way he gathered me against his chest betrayed his facial expression, his hands were slow and gentle. He had one arm up underneath my upper back and one under my knees. As he strode back toward the door, I turned to look over his shoulder at the nurses, who stood stunned up against the wall.
When we passed through the door, I saw the limp bodies of the security detail that had been arranged to stand in front of my door. They weren’t standing anymore. They didn’t look seriously harmed, just unconscious.
He shifted his hand and turned my face into his neck, tucking my head down so I wouldn’t have to see them. He was cradling me so carefully I could barely tell that he was moving, though he was half running toward the exit.
I knew we would be in trouble for skipping out of a hospital but I so desperately wanted to leave that I kept my face down, gripping onto him for sweet escape.
As we reached the exit, and he ran into the car park, I realised I didn’t recognise where we were. I had never been here before. The landscape was the same, weather was the same. It was about eight o’clock at night, the sun was just setting, its faint glow still slightly visible, the rest of the sky a deep clear blue.
He opened the passenger door to a brand new BMW and carefully placed me onto the cream leather of the front seat. I sank into it gratefully, but I wasn’t as comfortable as I had hoped I would be- my arms were already aching, my head hurt and I felt like I might be sick again. I breathed threw my mouth to lessen my nausea and that helped a bit.
He started the car and reversed in a hurry, making the tyres squeal. And then we were on the road, on the way back, back to my bed and my window.
I slid down in my seat and rested my head on its side. I would have slept but I was too uncomfortable. He glanced across at me. He was doing about ninety kilometers per hour and the sight of the trees whizzing past his window made me feel worse. I clenched my eyes closed and determinedly breathed through my mouth.
“You ok?” he asked, well muttered really.
I opened my eyes and managed a kind of smile shrug thing. He nodded briefly then turned his attention back to the road. He looked different with no hair. They’d shaved it so it was about a number two all over. It made him look a lot cleaner, that’s for sure. And a lot less thin, I thought.

I don’t know how long it had taken us to get back but it was fully dark. I guess I must have fallen asleep after all. He pulled up and killed the engine and the lights. He sat gazing at me, probably wondering how best to wake me up.
“I’m awake.” I said. My voice still sounded like rusty gates.
He nodded in relief. “Good.”
I couldn’t nod in reply, I felt too sick. “What now?” I muttered.
“Can you move?” he asked quietly.
I made a committal grunting noise and he nodded again. He got out and I felt the car rock gently. I tried again not to be sick. It didn’t work; I threw up all over that beautiful soft cream leather, all over the gear stick and the console. It was disgusting, the sight of it-and the smell! Smelling it almost made me be sick again. He opened my car door and looked at what I’d done. He blinked and paused, then lowered his body to haul mine out. He said nothing.
I had a look at where we were. I could see Harriet’s house about a k up the road. Its lights were on. I wondered how stressed they would be, if they were out looking for me. I knew Niko would be, maybe even Jerry. Harriet would be at home waiting, stressing. I smiled fondly at the thought of them.
It took awhile to reach the house as we traveled slowly. He was being careful but I also think he was tired. When we did arrive in the darkness, he made straight for the kitchen door. I shook my head in what I thought was a desperate motion- it was probably a pathetic movement that warranted no attention. He glanced at me though.
“The window.” I croaked. I was out of breath with just those few words. I felt bombed.
He shook his head decisively. “Not a chance.”
“They’ll kill you.”
He just glanced at me, and back at the door.
“Window.” I gasped again.
His face was stubborn and we stood there a long time before he gave in. I was glad he did. I didn’t want to have to deal with them and him together right now.
He left me on the bed, laid flat. It was a lot more comfortable.
I marveled at how quiet he’d been getting through the window, nothing like me when I clambered in after a night outside. He hovered by the bed, troubled.
I made a feeble motion for him to get going.
He glanced at me again and then he nodded, leant over and pushed my small bedside lamp to the edge of the table where it teetered, fell, and finally smashed on the hard wood floor. I cringed.
The house seemed to pause, and then the noise came back in a rush. I heard shouts from downstairs and then hurried footsteps. Malachai turned from the bed and slid out the window, trotting into the dark trees. I wondered if he would go back to the BMW.

When they came tumbling into my room, I didn’t stay awake for long. I witnessed the shock and the anguish at my injuries and then I have to admit I passed out. The sleep was deep and dreamless, and I welcomed the rest. When I did wake up, I found I’d been out for three days. I was starving.
“You don’t feel sick at all?” Harriet asked doubtfully.
I smiled. “No, I’m just really hungry.”
“We almost took you back to hospital! If you hadn’t woken…” Harriet said, still looking worried.
I was immensely grateful that my nausea and most of my pain was gone. My bad arm felt heavy, but was nowhere near as painful as it had been. It wasn’t plastered, which slightly worried me- would the break heal as well if it was only in a sling? Thankfully, the other arm was fine.
Penny grinned at me. “Excellent.” She slid two fried eggs onto my plate and I grinned in return. What a legend, cooking me breakfast.
Jerry and Niko sat across from me, waiting for the details. They had both been quiet and I know they had held off asking, but they were dying to know what had happened. Taylor was absent, called back to his regular life due to a family emergency.
I took a big bite of toast, watching Niko expectantly, waiting.
It was Jerry who began. “So- tell us how you ended up like this.”
My face was in pretty good condition- the bruises were going purple and yellow, and the swelling was gone. The cut on my forehead had begun to heal over and was beginning to itch. I nodded and replied, smiling, “Oh, you know, the usual.”
Niko glared at my joke, and Penny smiled at his seriousness.
I sighed.
“Ok. Well, I went out to meet him and it didn’t take long, like I’d thought,” I paused, watching them. The group had suddenly become hushed. Harriet had left the stove to sit at the table, listening. “We got straight down to it, really. Didn’t talk a lot or anything. He caught me off-guard, he’s so bloody fast. Knocked me around a little before I even realised what was happening,” I indicated the fading bruises on my face. “But I got him back.”
I grinned.
“But what happening to your arms?” Niko asked, aghast.
“Well! When I’d finally realised that he was doing all the fighting and I was doing all the losing, I fought back.”
Jerry smiled proudly.
I sighed. “Basically, I just knew I couldn’t be hit in the face one more time. I lifted up my arm to block his move, and I took his punch in the forearm.”
Penny made a hissing noise as she sucked in air, wincing. Niko bit his bottom lip.
“Ouch.” He said.
I widened my eyes dramatically. “Yes, it hurt quite a lot. Anyway- I got that one, and then I decided to get crafty.”
Jerry sighed at me. “You mean you knew you were losing.”
I looked away briefly, that met my eyes with his. “Yes.”
He nodded. “So what did you do?”
“I stabbed him with my knife. The one he gave me.”
Harriet let out a gasp of disbelief and Penny gave a small whoop. I glanced at her gratefully, smiling myself.
“Where?” Niko asked.
“Where I thought it would hurt him the most- in the gut,” I sighed, looked at Jerry again. For some reason, I said this only to him. “There’s something we didn’t know about him. He regenerates. He pulled my knife out and he healed himself in about two seconds.”
Jerry stared at me in shock. “Are you sure?”
“Yes, but if I’m not, then he should be still out there.” My sarcasm was a little flat, and not very funny. The group didn’t laugh.
Penny looked troubled. “I thought we did know this. In the book, I mean the diary, Samantha heals herself.”
I nodded, remembering myself. Of course, I had already known from the night with the bullets, but they hadn’t.
“It had been a possibility, but…” Jerry began, trailing off.
“Without proof.” Niko finished, glancing at him.
“Well. We have proof, now.” I said blandly, as if I didn’t care.
I was struggling to decide what more to tell them. How much should I lie? I always got worried about telling lies- one leads to another and then before you know it you’re spun in a nasty web of them.
“So what about the other arm?” Harriet asked.
I shrugged. “Well, he pulled out the knife after I’d stabbed him with it, and he slashed at me.”
I looked down at the arm, wondering how bad it was. It was lightly bandaged, but it was all stitched up underneath. I could probably take the bandage off.
“And that’s about it. He kind of- backed off when he saw how tragic I was. I wasn’t up to fighting anymore. I was lucky to get to the hospital.”
Penny frowned slightly. “How did you get there?”
“Why didn’t you come straight back to the house?” Harriet asked.
I addressed all of them. “Well, we fought too far away from the house, I wouldn’t have made it in time I don’t think. I flagged down a car.”
“How did you get home?” Niko asked.
“Taxi.”
“Why didn’t you just call?” Harriet asked.
I felt my cheeks grow hot. “What is this, the Spanish inquisition?”
Jerry sighed. “As long as you’re alright,” he pointed at my arm. “Let’s have a look at that cut.”
I cringed, thinking about it, although it wasn’t painful anymore. “I thought I might leave it on for a bit more.”
“Alright,” he nodded. “You must still be very tired.” He scratched his chin idly, then he met my eyes, and I saw his expression of guilt. “You did very well, going out there on your own. I think you were right, you weren’t really ready. I think I just wanted you to be, and I’m sorry. I’m glad you’re alright.”
Niko nodded fervently along. “Me too. I feel bad that we sent you out on your own. I mean, I’ve been trained for this kind of stuff and I wasn’t with you, and I should have been.”
I shook my head. “No, it was right I went on my own. Even though you are better, it’s my job to do it. Destiny and all that.”
Jerry smiled faintly and Niko cleared his throat. I was moved by their emotion.
“I’m glad you’re up, though,” Harriet began, “we’ve got some news for you.”
I took another bite of toast. “What news?” I asked with my mouth full.
Jerry glanced at Harriet before saying slowly, “Someone’s gone missing. A boy, yesterday morning, didn’t arrive at school. It could be nothing, but it also could be..”
Niko’s voice was hard as he spoke. “He must have finished with you and gone straight on to something else.” He regarded me closely. “I don’t know why he let you go. Any ideas?”
I didn’t like whatever it was he was insinuating. I chewed my toast slowly, not answering.
“Do you think he got bored?” Penny asked softly, eyebrows raised.
I looked at her. “Bored?”
She flushed. “Well, it doesn’t sound like you made it too hard for him.”
I didn’t reply. She was right, of course. He could have killed me many times, over.
“Maybe he didn’t want to kill her.” Harriet remarked.
Jerry made an “mmm-ing” noise. “Maybe. Whatever the reason, it was one hell of a break. I’ve certainly never heard of it happening before. They’re a cut-throat breed, giving no chances.”
“So what do we do about the boy?” I asked, worried. Had Malachai had time to do that? Had he dropped me off and then abducted a child? I had to admit I was slightly troubled about it. But maybe the boy had just cut school, an would turn up.
“What they always did. Wait.” Jerry said glumly.
“But this time, you’ve got me.” I said faintly, not believing my own words. They didn’t really have me; what I had done, pulling out that knife, had proven which side I was on. Feeling my own betrayal, I left the table and went back to bed, claiming I was tired. They let me go, promising to check on me later, which made me feel even worse. I tucked myself in, and lay, letting slow, fat tears sink into the pillow.

“What they always did. Wait.” Jerry said glumly.
“But this time, you’ve got me.” I said faintly, not believing my own words. They didn’t really have me; what I had done, pulling out that knife, had proven which side I was on. Feeling my own betrayal, I left the table and went back to bed, claiming I was tired. They let me go, promising to check on me later, which made me feel even worse. I tucked myself in, and lay, letting slow, fat tears sink into the pillow.
© Copyright 2010 Bella Luna (lithopian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1677290-Lycanthropy-Charlottes-Story-Chpt-10