*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1678611-Other-side-of-the-Creek
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Contest Entry · #1678611
Joe and Emily have visitors at their campsite.

                Joe smiled as he lifted his five year old boy, Brayden, out of the car seat. Excitement ran through the family of four like an electric current.

         “Last one to the creek is a rotten egg!” the seven year old Jake yelled.

         “Wait, you have to wait on us,” His Mom, Emily called.

         The path was well worn and easy to follow. Joe led his family to their familiar camping spot. The woods broke into a meadow where a moderately paced creek rushed by. The boys immediately put down their packs and raced to the creek bank.

         Their imaginations raced in this wild setting. Anything was possible to the children. Emily’s sweat wet shirt dripped on the tent as she shoved the last pole into place. Joe’s sunglasses fogged blinding him for a few seconds. He clicked the lighter and fanned the tiny flame into a true campfire.

         Two men came into view across the small meadow. They approached the family slowly. Joe stayed quiet in the tent.

              At the campsite the taller man brandished a knife. “Give me your keys and your cell phone,” he told Emily.

         “Kids get in the tent!” Emily yelled.

         “Hurry! You’re keys and your phone,” the smaller said through a toothless mouth. He stepped closer to Emily and reared his hand back for a slap.

         “Don’t come any closer,” Joe said from the tent. “Em, step back. Now boys, you’ve left me in a spot. What should I do with you? If I call the cops, this will end up being a wasted weekend. If I just tie you up we’ll all be on edge all weekend. Maybe I should just shoot you and leave you in the creek? Em, what do you suggest?”

         “Burying them on the other side of the creek?”


229 words
Prompt "Don't come any closer"
© Copyright 2010 Jay Seymour (sheltertupelo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1678611-Other-side-of-the-Creek