*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1678724-Back-Woods-Canary-2nd-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Cultural · #1678724
Perhaps next time Timmy will win the contest.
“That’s a nice job. As far as contests go, they don’t come any closer.” Elroy drawled.

“But I didn’t win. You said I was the best.” Timmy pushed his eyes to the floor while he kicked a wall in disgust.

“Buck up nephew. You’ll get ‘em next time around. Just need ta practice is all. You were close this time. I even think you were better’n the one that won anyways. ‘Em judges don’t know squat.”

“But I didn’t win and I worked hard.” Timmy whined.

“S’ok. Now, I gotta get you home before your ole man discovers we’re here.”

Timmy pulled his cell phone from his pocket and checked the time. “Wow. I didn’t realize it was that late. We only have thirty minutes to get back home.”

“Let’s go. You can change in the truck.”

Elroy and Timmy pushed out the back door, and ran to the truck. Elroy hopped in the driver’s seat, started the engine, and pressed the gas pedal to the floor. Elroy glanced over at Timmy who was kicking his clothes off in haste.

Tooling down the road pushing eighty, Elroy slid around the last turn toward home and slammed on the brakes. The truck slid to a halt and Elroy navigated the rusty Ford pickup down the long rocky road toward a dilapidated back woods cabin. Two baying hound dogs lumbered off the porch to greet the new arrivals.

“Five minutes ta spare boy! Now get on out and in ta the house before your pa comes home.”

“Thanks unc.”

Timmy opened the door and greeted the dogs. He shoved his opera costume in a plastic bag, and jogged to the house. He waved from the porch, and smiled.

Elroy shouted, “Remember ta practice that high C in Rigoletto!”


297 Words
Flash Story Must contain the line: "Don't come any closer"
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1678724-Back-Woods-Canary-2nd-Place