*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1678997-The-Uncertain-Past
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1678997
This chapter is either my prologue or chapter one, just wanted feedback thanks guys :)
I haven't decided on a character name yet so I've abbreviated main character into Mn Chr :) 



  As the trees in the surrounding forest started to blur and merge into one, the bloodthirsty cries of the frenzied warriors maintained its, frighteningly close, volume.  Mn Chr was at a disadvantage being on foot against the mounted soldiers but the trees and terrain were for once in his favour, already as his weary legs carried him further, he could hear the noise of the warriors growing further and further behind. Once he could hear nothing, but the noises of the forest and Mother Nature herself, he took some time to create a few false trails doubling up on themselves and carried on at a brisk pace. Something about Mn Chr’s instinct’s told him he wasn’t quite out of trouble just yet, and so far his natural instincts hadn’t steered him wrong.

    Looking up, Mn Chr decided that roughly two hours had passed since he lost his pursuers and yet he still had that edgy feeling telling him to be weary. Mn Chr took in surroundings listening for any sign of threat and he heard a more than welcome sound; the sound of running water.  After drinking deeply, Mn Chr filled his water skin and washed his face and hands, washing away the feel of grime that had built up after that morning’s chase.

”Oh god how things have changed since the days of old... Those days will return, I swear it upon my life, or let me die in great agony... then again the way my luck is going, that is still a possibility.”

Mn Chr’s reflection stayed silent and solemn and didn’t seem to be replying any time soon, so he got up and checked the little of his poor belongings, making sure they were all there and not broken. Upon his inspection that’s when he noticed it; all the natural sounds had stopped around him, except for the gurgling of the stream beside him. Something was definitely up, and the snap of a twig was what gave it away.

“Shit.”

Whilst Mn Chr was reminiscing of the days of old, the warriors from the earlier chase had chosen the right trail and caught him unaware. Realising that he was surrounded Mn Chr decided there was no other option than to run down the stream and pray to god that he didn’t slip. As he started running, the warriors knew their ambush had been ruined and gave up all attempts at sneaking and started full speed, down the bank.

The stream rapidly became a river and was picking up speed with every leap Mn Chr took, and like a stone plunging to the bottom of a lake, the sudden realisation sank to the pit of his stomach; Up ahead was a very tall waterfall.

As the waterfall dawned ever closer, Mn Chr took notice that the warriors had him boxed in, with three on each bank and four behind him. Mn Chr had no choice, if he were to escape he had to jump and quick. After saying a quick prayer to a god he wasn’t even sure existed, he jumped into the nothingness of thin air and plunged to what he hoped wasn’t his death.

© Copyright 2010 mr pot noodle (mr-ingle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1678997-The-Uncertain-Past