*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679222-Humor-in-Misery-and-Pain
by Atarah
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1679222
This is from one night when my dad and step-mom were arguing. Hope you like it!
HUMOR IN misery AND ANGER
By Jenn Coffell
It was an early evening, I remember, we were in the rental house in Boon, and my dad and step-mom sat in a stuffy living room, arguing in the corner, not quietly. They were EXTREMELY loud. Down the hall and to the left, my brother James sat in his room, probably ignoring the situation and playing with his Star Wars action figures. But across from him, I, his sister, sat in my room, the light bulb shining a dim yellow light on my floor and walls, alone, crying, and feeling invisible, miserable, and hopelessly lost. As I looked around my room, which had been ransacked by my brother, I sobbed quietly. The reason why I was crying so much was because in the living room, sat my dad and step-mother, their relationship crumbling as they argued and shrieked, as usual. I felt overwhelmed with, well, life, I guess. Sighing, I wiped away my tears and tried to think of something to say that would make my annoying family STOP FIGHTING! Gathering every ounce of imaginable and possible courage, I took a few deep breaths and I slowly began making my way to the living room.
         “Will you guys just STOP!?!” I shrieked, my voice echoing off the dirty white walls.
         “Jennifer Lynn,” my dad said, rolling his eyes sarcastically, he never takes me seriously, so I really expected that.
         “No, you listen!?!” I screamed. By now I was breathing so hard that I bet the neighbors could hear me across the street, thinking we had a mad bull in the house.
“She’s got a point, Jim,” my step-mom, Jenn (Jennifer), said. For a reason in which I do not know, she was sitting on his lap, as they argued…WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT!!!!!!?????
Then, after I invaded their little spat, they began arguing again, completely ignoring that I was even alive. With anger and rage bubbling up inside of me, I stormed back to my room, and slammed my door shut in fury. After a few seconds of me seething anger alone in my messy room my brother James opened my door cautiously.
         “What’s wrong?” he asked me.
         “You’re a little too young to understand, but all they do is argue, and it takes effect on us and I’m sick of this!” That was his final straw. He hated seeing me like this, and even though he didn’t understand, he tried his best. Turning around, he stampeded out of my room, lightly closing the door behind him. All I heard was arguing, until I heard in my young brother’s voice,
         “YOU GUYS SHUT UP! YOU’RE MAKING, “he paused,” YOUR DAUGHTER,” pause,” MAD!!!!!!!!!!”
Despite the situation, I burst out laughing, because James was only 6 or 7 at that time and there he was, in the living room, telling off his parents! It was HILARIOUS!
         That day I gained a lot of respect for my brother, James. I also learned that he is really cool and fun. As I think back on this day, I smile happily. I will always remember this day. It was a coming of age for me because I formed a stronger bond with my brother.
© Copyright 2010 Atarah (jennyatarah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679222-Humor-in-Misery-and-Pain