*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679364-The-Surprise
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1679364
The surprise - Flash Fiction
Alley's not so delicate snore filled the bedroom. Paul tried not to laugh as he watched her sleep. He loved this time of the morning. The first rays of sun peeked through the cracks of the blinds casting little patches of gold all over her.

He lightly ran his finger over the black velvet case lying next to his pillow. He couldn’t wait to see the look on her face when she opened it. Inside the box lay a beautiful platinum chain with a small diamond hanging from it. Next to it was a matching heart pin. He remembered the day Alley had seen them in the store. Her face had lit up when she looked at them. He knew she would never get anything like that for herself. He had gone back to the store the next day and gotten it for her. He hid it in his top dresser drawer for the past two months waiting for the perfect moment.

Very quietly, he whispered in her ear, “Honey, are you awake?”

He watched as her lids fluttered and slowly opened.

In a groggy voice, “I am now.”

He chuckled softly. “Sleepy head – I have something for you.”

He knew he had her attention when her eyes fully opened and focused in on him.

“You do?” She sounded excited. “What is it?”

He handed her the velvet box. “Happy Birthday”

He watched as she slowly opened the box. A look of surprise and joy filled her face.

In a delighted voice she exclaimed, “Oh Paul! It’s the necklace!” She wrapped her arms around him and gave him a tight hug and passionately kissed him.

With a smile he thought to himself that he couldn’t wait to give her the small velvet ring box that was hidden in his sock drawer.

© Copyright 2010 Kelticmyst (kelticmyst at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679364-The-Surprise