*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679414-The-magic-of-home
by Dee
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Family · #1679414
There's just something about home that draws us in and keeps us going back..
Every time I get a free weekend i get this urge to pack my bags and take the next bus home. It is weird because i am all grown up. My friends in fact say i should grow up and learn to live on my own.They just don't get it but I do not argue. Somethings are just too simple or difficult(based on how you look at it) to put in words. It is not the house that I love going to, but the feeling I get when I get there. When I know that the people around me love me and there's some sort of magic in the air. It is the simple things that they do, like a hug from my mum to let me know she missed me, the shared laughter at the dining room as we tell stories of times past.

It is knowing that I will be welcome anytime and every time. The sense of community people have always willing to help out each other. Coming out in large numbers to share in the good times and lending a shoulder to cry on in difficult times.

I remember this time when one of the neighbor's home got invaded by thugs. It didn't matter that it was one in the morning and that the thugs were armed. People came out anyway and when we heard that one of their children was badly wounded some men volunteered to carry him all the way to hospital. The women stayed behind to console the mother and help her clean up the house while the rest went after the thugs. The robbers were never caught but that night remains etched in my mind. No matter what happens I do not have trouble sleeping I know someone's got my back.

That's part of what keeps drawing me back to my childhood home. Even now though most of us have grown up and moved out of the neighborhood we still get together every once I a while to celebrate the family we each have come to love as our own. The bonds between us may not be of blood but they are stronger than any other I have seen in this world. It's in the air, or so my mother says because it doesn't matter who moves in there, they always end up joining our family. Over the years it has grown a lot and i still get surprised every time I look around at my brothers and sisters and know that I am loved, not because I have done something or been someone but because i am special as i am.

I have learned that love is accepting others as they are, sharing in the spirit of togetherness and not expecting something in return. I have become what i am because I have been loved and someone gave me a chance to discover myself and in the process discover that there is more to each and every one of us than meets the eye. Open your eyes to the world, and find your path but to discover your destiny you must listen to your heart. In it you will find love, acceptance and more strength than you'd ever imagine. Courage to face all your fears and confidence to propel you to where your dreams become reality.
© Copyright 2010 Dee (teniola at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679414-The-magic-of-home