*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679429-Leap-of-Faith-or-Insanity
by Jolene
Rated: E · Other · Career · #1679429
Quit a good job in this economy? My journal exerpt.
Leap Of Faith or Insanity

I was just glancing over my journal from the first of the year. I’d like to share an excerpt from Jan.4:
“I want to write something extraordinary. I want to illustrate it with my breathtaking photos. I want to be fulfilled, to be creative and imaginative. Is it possible to do something extraordinary? Is it possible to feel fulfilled? I used to buy into the notion that I can do anything I set my mind to. But now—not so sure. I feel like I’m always chasing the illusive butterfly.”
Just this last week I took a leap of faith, or insanity, but I didn’t do it hastily. I quit my job in the pharmacy. I could list the reasons that justify my decision in my own mind. I could make an equally persuasive list of reasons it’s an irresponsible decision. I am surprisingly calm about it though, even though I’m also a bit terrified by not knowing just what comes next. I have friends shaking their heads and shrugging, and others high- fiving me. Deryl’s is the only opinion that really matters to me though. If you know Deryl, you must know he’s not excited one way or the other, maybe a raised eyebrow. He’ll trust me when I can show him the money.
I still want to write something extraordinary. I want to write personal histories. I have friends dying around me and their stories are dying with them. I want to record people’s precious memories for their families. It’s important work. It will be creative, extraordinary. It will fulfill me to validate people’s lives by preserving their stories. I will be a professional Personal Historian. A writer. A photographer.
Ok, so in the meantime, I am looking for a job that will allow me the time to pursue this venture. I’m not completely insane. Check back with me this time next year and I’ll fill you in on the success story.
Jolene
© Copyright 2010 Jolene (photomejo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679429-Leap-of-Faith-or-Insanity