*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679564-Ever-Changing-Iris-Book-One
by Kiri
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Comedy · #1679564
The coming of age of a very peculiar fox-girl.
I knew I was different. Feeling their scornful eyes darting to and from me - I could feel I was different. It’s like that feeling you get when you join a game - but suddenly no one wants to play or they all have to go home. It’s like jumping into a small pool with your friends, but they all swim to the left side of the pool, leaving you by yourself. Being different hurt.
         They’ve forgotten my real name - Iris. They just call me, “Soulless” and, “Freak” when I’m without Mama or Papa to protect me. They stop everything and whisper or yell hurtful names - sometimes I get things thrown at me. And when I run back home with tears flowing down my face, I wonder…what did I ever do to deserve this? What’s wrong with me?
         Is it true what they say?
         Papa would be the first to lose his temper and grumble angrily about how he would, “Teach them a lesson” or, when he’s really lost it, “Burn this place to the ground.” Mama would tell him that they’re, “only children”, and they would begin to argue amongst themselves on how to punish the disrespectful villagers. I’d feel as if my presence were completely forgotten and go cry in my room, under the few yellow rays of sunlight. After ten minutes of crying myself silly, Granite would stalk in. Her footsteps so careful and silent.
         But today was different.
         “Oh sister of mine - what’s wrong?” Lily stood at my door. I could imagine a triumphant grin on her face, her purple eyes screaming what she really thought, “I’m better than you! I’m going to be clan leader like Papa someday! Everyone in the village adores me!”, though she’s never said it. She’d just stand like the perfect older sister she was, with straight long orchard colored hair hiding a long face and a putrid smile; her nose always wrinkled, as if smelling something disgusting. She’d keep her hands behind her back to keep from messing with her frog buttons and would tell me to do the same - like a good sister.
         “Nothing!” I replied, my downy pillow receiving most of the verbal blow.
         “Really?” She sashayed towards me, every step graceful and ladylike - she was only two years older than me. “Little sister…” I could feel her hot breath on my neck as her lips came closer to my ear, “…you’re a freak.”

         I remember when I was four years old. I was never allowed outside of the house - though many were allowed in. They would look at me, some would bow to me like a devout follower, other’s would glare and keep their distance as if I were a leper. My sister - Lily - would stare and ask, “What’s wrong with her eye Mama?”
         “She’s different.” Was always her reply. Lily would stagger back as if she’d been told I was a Fiend.
         “Different?!” She jabbed one finger at my eye then regretted it. Before she could pull it back, Mama had already caught and placed Lily on her lap, her backside high in the air.
         “I’m going to teach you respect.” She’d say before proceeding to spank her with her bare hand.

         Though those years have already passed, and I’m seven instead of four, Lily never learned respect. At least - not for others.
         “Shut up!” I screeched, leaping out of the bed, “At least I’m not as dumb as a slow horse Fiend!”
         Lily’s eyes flashed as she began to grin, “Cloud hair!” She shot back, clenching her fists. “Cloud haired freak!”
         My tongue froze.
         She jabbed one long finger into my chest, while forcing me to look up, “Everyone wants you gone. Everyone.” Her purple eyes flashed red as her voice began to lower to a harsh whisper, “And when I’m clan leader - I intend to make it so.”
         I collapsed to my knees at that thought. Me - banished? Never able to see Mama or Papa again? I couldn’t live with that.
         “Lily - please -” I choked on my own words, holding back hot tears, “- don’t do that!” The tears fell, as I held my head down, like so many drops of shame.
         “Hmm,” Her voice became chipper, “I’ll let you stay if you -” I looked up, feeling renewed as a deviant smirk crossed her chubby face, “- become my servant!”
         Papa’s anger weld up in me as I ground my teeth, trying to control my temper.
         “If you fail to do this,” She held her nose high up in the air, imitating regal manners, “I will banish you.”
         It was the perfect portrait. Little sister on her knees like a slave, her pink and white cheongsam a carpet for her older sister’s bare feet. The older sister - standing high and mighty like the great Queen of DawnGate, a black cheongsam embroidered with golden dragons - a goddess - valiantly accepting this lesser being’s apology.
         The picture was complete once I was forced to say, “Yes master.” To my own sister.
         She twirled, the back of her cheongsam smacking me in the face, as she left my room. My nine year old sister - my master.
         If I didn’t want to get banished…never see Mama and Papa again…I’d do anything she desired of me. I couldn’t imagine a life outside of Beam; our little river town. I couldn’t imagine not living on a river, over the calm cool waters of the river Beam; land - no where in sight. But the bustling mainland of DawnGate just north of us. The towers and buildings sprout up like so many weeds. While the castle - Sol - gracefully floats above the hustle and bustle of the big city. A wonder I’d like to see myself…someday.
         I found myself staring out my window, gazing up at Sol like Mama gazes at Papa, sometimes. Looking down into the river, I could see a murky reflection of myself. It was too far. I raced outside of the house, closer to the bamboo lined railing to see my face.
         What was so different about me that everyone hated?
         I came closer to the floorboards of the walkway, and poked my head out between two poles to get a better look. I saw a round face framed by puffy, curly lilac colored hair - like Papa‘s. My skin was pale and clear - just like everyone else. I had a button nose and a small mouth. I wasn’t like Lily - my hair was somehow shinier, my face more youthful and happy.
         My eyes…one was purple, the other - blue.
         I am a freak.
         Everyone - everyone had purple eyes like the spring ajasai blooms. It was the color of the clan - Lilac Breeze. Why was I cursed with one blue eye?
         My hand closed over a rough stone, and I threw it at my reflection. “Be normal!” I wanted to scream, “Be a good girl like Lily!” The rock smacked the blue water, creating little ripples, until it sunk. My reflection was still there, taunting me. Telling me I was different - that I was a freak.
         I angrily pelted the water with stones, pebbles - anything I could throw. Anything that would make my reflection go away - anything that would put the truth aside. The water protested as the stones skipped and sunk with a plop. I began to wail, tears stinging my cheeks, as I continued attacking my image. More reflections began to gather in the water. They were pointing, whispering, gossiping - their wicked eyes all glued to me. The wild girl. The freak. The bad omen of the clan. The worthless daughter.
         Before I could pick up more stones, a hand caught my wrist and engulfed it. Shocked - I looked up, finding Papa’s worried eyes. Before he could scold me I crumpled up into a sad little ball and pressed my face to my knees, “I’m sorry!” I wailed, hiding my tears, “I didn’t mean to be this way!-” My eyes popped open as an idea came to me.
         “I know!” Papa’s face turned from worry to shock as I jumped up, snatching my hand from his grasp, “If I take it out - I’ll be normal!” Smiling through my tears, I shook my head. “Right Papa?”
         His eyes were grim, his face worried and sad. If I took the eye out - it’d make him happy! I wouldn’t cause so much trouble - I’d be normal, like everyone else!
         The slowly gathering towns people looked on with the same grim eyes my father looked away with. They were no longer taunting me.
         Lily stood in the door frame of the house, grinning.
         This is what they wanted…right?

~~~

         They forced me to my room, Granite guarding the doorway. They told me to think about what I had done, all the commotion I caused in the town. They told me to think hard about my difference.
         They told me they’d be back soon.
         Outside of my brightly lit room, I could hear Papa’s angry roars and the whispers of Mama’s soft voice. Other angry voices were immediately hushed.
         What had I done wrong? I thought of this over and over as I sat cross-legged on the floor, touching my knees.
         Think about it.
         One blue eye, the other purple. Did any gods have the same tragedy? I needed to know.
         “Granite?” Her ghostly body phased through the door as her grey eyes fell to mine, “Tell me what you know about the gods.” Her skeletal face gave me a quizzical look, “Specifically the Trickster.”

~~~

         Mama and Papa never told me this. DawnGate made Sun - our race. PetalFlare made the nature that buds around us. Bounta brings the harvest and you pray to Bound for the hunt. Cradle gave me life and the Black Dragon could take it whenever he wants. Chaos made war and has power over all until the Celestial Body comes back. And the Trickster - she made the Fiends.
         I have her eyes.
         When Mama and Papa returned - must happier than when they left - I immediately questioned them.
         “Why didn’t I know this?”
         “Know what sweetie?” Mama replied. I crossed my arms.
         “This!” And I told them all Granite had simply told me straight out. Once I was done with my tale, they both looked sidelong at Granite who vanished in a dark cloud of smoke.
         “She told you you’re kin to the Trickster?” Mama didn’t look pleased. But before she could lose her temper, Papa laughed, his voice booming.
         “You’re crafty - just like the goddess!” He chuckled, reaching out to pat me on the head, “It’s true, you do have her eyes -”
         “-Akiro!”
         “I see that as a blessing, not a curse.” He finished, cutting Mama off. “I wish the whole village could see that.”
         The goddess Trickster. She made the Fiends we’ve grown so afraid of - heartless monsters bent on our blood. She made a deal to both the races of Moon and Sun that went down in the History! So what if it failed? This eye - this eye I was born with - it comes from a powerful goddess! Not from some soulless Fiend!
         Mama brought me back to reality, “It is a blessing, Iris.” She lovingly touched my knee, “With her eye comes her wit! Lilac Breeze values that.”
         This meant I wasn’t a freak. It meant - it meant…I was different. But a good different. A goddess had given me a gift and I will value it - no matter what the towns people say!
         I thanked them with hugs and kisses, promising never to do such a thing again. Both promised me that things would be different - better even. Things will change, they promised and exited my room.
         I flopped on the bed, preparing for an encounter with Lily. Well - I had news for her! I’m not a freak. And I’m not her servant! Once she did appear - my courage felt drained as if it were sucked right out of me.
         “I saw what happened today.” She started, leaning on the doorpost of my room. “I know what you are.” Her eyes struggled to meet mine as she twirled a strand of purple hair, “You don’t scare me!”
         I met her with a confused look, before she lost all composure and began screaming, “Ever since you were born they thought you a child of the Trickster! They thought you had wit and power -” She jabbed one finger at me - though she was far from me, it felt like a stab in the heart, “- they still think you do! They know you do!” She raised her head as if to scream to the gods as she clenched her fists and raised them, “You’re not better than me! I will be clan leader some day! You know what you’ll be?! Do you?!” Tears were streaming down her face as she looked me dead in the eye - avoiding my blue one, “You’ll be caged - locked up like the creature you are! I’ll - I’ll make sure of it!” Then she fled, loud cries and wet tears trailing behind her. I watched her run - shocked at her performance, at her tears.
         Did she…envy me? I shook my head at the thought - never. She would be clan leader one day - that’s equal to a Queen. How could she possibly envy me?

~~~

         Spring budded quickly as summer melted away and fall flew with the ever changing leaves. Winter froze the river Beam, along with a convoy of merchant wagons stuck for the winter.
         Looking down at their red and white pagoda topped wagons, I could tell that they were more or less made for smooth sailing across a gentle river - not a frozen sea. What really caught my attention was the last wagon. It was something I’ve read about in stories but never seen with my own eyes - robots! DawnGate steam technology just standing on a pagoda-less wagon! They looked like Suns, except for their steely bodies and pipes jutting out in the oddest of places. Not to mention random gears chugging and whistles blowing. Their eyes were like little black bulbs, I imagined they only lit up when the bot was powered on - that is what the stories said.
         Though I turned eight last month - I’m sure Papa and Mama would buy at least one of them for me.
         It was freezing outside, but inside the main wagon a warm hearth blazed as a pot bellied group of merchants, all extravagantly dressed in fashionable silk red DawnGate kimonos, chuckled and almost choked on hot tea when I asked the price of the bots, “Those aren’t for sale.” He replied, struggling to swallow as his companions exchanged all-knowing glances, “They’re broken, can’t you see?”
         “See’s a girl, she wouldn’t know.” One with a long curly beard announced.
         “A cute little girl.” A man with large hands, like bear paws - grabbed me and plopped me on his lap, “How old are you little girl?”
         “Old enough to know what I want.” I snapped gingerly jumping from his lap as the other men broke out laughing.
         “Tell you what.” Said the bear man, stirring his tea with a ‘I’ve-got-this’ smirk on his face, “If you can fix it - you can keep it.” Getting Papa to buy it would be so much easier - but I accepted the challenge. After the men were done with their hysterics (a girl wanting a robot is apparently very funny), I picked a bot - a small and scrawny one, with long limbs and a large round chest - and they hauled it up to the village, leaving me to do the work of dragging it home.
         “If you can fix it before the ice melts, “ Bear man called, waving his wooden fan in my direction, “you may keep it.”
         That was a challenge I would take.

~~~

         Lily scoffed at my decision, ”You really think you can fix it?” She asked, dawdling in the dimly lit kitchen, “You know nothing about steambots!” She snickered, listening to my silent reply.
         I can do it - I thought fiercely back at her, opening the back of the bot. It spewed dry dust and suffocating smoke as the flap sprang open. Gears of all sizes were stuck and cringing in their own oil, as spiders - shocked at my sudden invasion - scurried into the deeper contraptions of the bot.
         My spirits fell as I had finally realized what I’d gotten myself into. Lily was right - I knew next to nothing about steambots! But - first things first - clean out the muck and bugs, then maybe this poor thing will work again.
         I thought that maybe a good cleaning was all it needed - not that I would need to take it apart! Cleaning it alone took me days of waking up early and staying up late. Praying to PetalFlare that winter would stay longer than expected. My prayers went unanswered as the ice slowly broke and melted. Winter melted into Spring - and all I had done was get the gears to move and the bot to puff out smoke. I had failed.
         On the day the merchants left, I dragged the failed project outside so they could easily pick it up; but by the time I dragged the hulking piece of metal outside - their convoy was long gone. Heading toward the city of DawnGate and the floating palace of Sol. They had forgotten.
         I sat cross legged next to the broken bot, realizing that - if they ever came back - I wouldn’t be able to show my face ever again. I was too embarrassed - they’d believe girl’s can’t fix bots, especially little girls. I’d be admitting that they - and Lily - were right. I buried my face in my hands - unable to even think of admitting something like that to Lily.
         An icy hand on my shoulder made me jump - though I knew it was Granite. Her black eyes flooded blue as her solemn face remained cold and stony. Her way of saying, “It’ll be alright.” I nodded, hoping she was right.
         I left my work to rust for days, though I was only eight - I knew what depression felt like - and I was feeling it again. Everyday I’d sit on my bed, gazing at Sol. I felt drawn to that place but, then again, so did everyone else. When a clan member turned 14, it seemed as if they were all called to Sol. I could never figure out for what, though.
         Lazing about in the summer, Mama called me outside. I half expected her to beat the laziness out of me - but what she did…was much different. Outside she set down a checker patterned board on the ground with black and white pieces sat up on both sides. I recognized this game, and groaned.
         “Checkers?” I asked, plopping down.
         “Life lessons.” She corrected. Placing a pawn forward.
         Placing my first pawn two paces, she knocked it out of play - stealing it with her first pawn.
         “Hey!-”
         “You made a stupid move.” She said in a dismissive tone, letting her Queen out.
         Moving my pawn forward, she switched the King and Queen, announcing, “King me!” before I could even let a good piece out.
         She beat me three times with that one piece - the Queen.
         “Can the King do the same thing?” I asked, tired of her constantly beating me.
         “Nope.” She picked up the piece, moving it only one place. “That’s all it can do.” She took my King again with her Queen, “Though the Queen is the strongest piece on the board - if the King is taken - you lose. Now the Queen on the other hand, “ She swiped my Queen with a pawn, “if she’s taken - the game continues. A pawn can always become one.” She demonstrated by moving a pawn to the edge of the board and replacing it with my vanished Queen.          
         “DawnGate has no Queen.” She continued, looking up at Sol, “Though the King does have a wife.”
         “Why isn’t she made Queen?” I asked, listening intently.
         “Men believe that if Fiends invaded the city, they’d take her hostage and the game would end-”
         “But-”
         “Chess doesn’t end when the Queen is taken, I know I know,” Her gaze fell to the checkered board. “But even in real life, the Queen is the most valuable piece. While the King is a puppet to his advisors, the woman behind him makes sure everything goes according to plan.” She flicked the King from the board, “Even though the King pleases his advisors with lies and nods, the Queen carries out the plan.”
         “This applies to normal men too, Iris. They all have women working behind them, to make sure their obis are tied on right - that they look presentable to the community. To feed their children and carry on their bloodline. Though women may be invisible - without us, men wouldn’t stand a chance!” Mama smiled before pushing herself onto her feet, “Remember that, little Iris.” With one last wink, she lifted me off my feet, “You’re a growing girl. I never want a man - or anyone - making you believe you’re lesser than them.” She plucked my forehead softly, causing me to smile - she was right. “You can do anything you set your mind to!-” Before finishing, she lowered her arm towards the broken bot, “-So work on that rusting pile of steel!” The poor bot was slumped, laying in the place I had left it since winter. I nodded, knowing she was right. I could do it! Even if those merchants didn’t believe in me - even if Lily doesn’t! If the gears could move…so could the bot!

         I imagined making it work within a couple of nights but, by my ninth birthday, it was still puffing smoke. Lily was still chortling, she at the age of eleven, and I still did not have the will to talk back to her. Call me a coward - which is exactly what Papa did.
         “Coward - afraid of your own sister?” He wore the Trickster’s grin after having watched one of Lily’s
servant-master sessions. You can guess who the servant was.
         “I’m not afraid of her!-”
         “-Yes you are.” My shoulder’s slumped as his booming voice cut my soft one off.
         He got me there.
         “You remind me of myself, when I was younger.” I looked on in awe.
         “Like me?” Imagining Papa scared of his sibling - or even my age? He was as tall and strong as a big purple giant! That’s - that’s not possible!
         “Don’t look at me like that!” He laughed, reaching to pat my head, “As if I was never your age.” His youthful looking face was always curled into an elfin like grin, his curly hair making him look younger.
         “You were scared of your older sister?” I asked, still shocked.
         “Not my older sister - my older brother.”
         “But - if you had an older brother -?”
         He nodded, “I wouldn’t be leader of the clan.”
         I looked up into his cloudy eyes, “Then - then what happened?”
         He slowly kneeled to the floorboards and sat cross legged, as I scurried into his large lap, “His name was Kindred - don’t look at me like that, I’m not making this up - my parents were…abnormal about names.” He smiled shyly, rubbing his chin. “But - back to the story - Kindred wasn’t the nicest of brothers, not as nice as your sister anyway,” I snorted at the word ‘nice’, “when he caught his Guardian Spirit - you’ll learn about those when you’re ready little princess -” He said, lovingly poking my nose, “- he commanded it to torment me until I was willing to become his slave. Guardian Spirits - Granite’s an example - they can be very terrible beings when told to do so. It would wail in my room at night and cause me trouble in the day, I lost so much sleep because of that cursed thing, “ Remembering it, he chuckled lightly, “but when I complied - being Kindred’s slave was far worse.”
         “He would blame things on me that would cause him to get a very bad whipping from mother - I became his whipping boy. And I couldn’t say he did it - my parents favored him because he was next to lead, I knew that. So I just took it.” He gazed up in the sky, following his eye - I realized he was peering at Sol. “I thought - one day I’m going there, just like everyone else - then everything would be perfect and I would never have to deal with Kindred again!” He was really speaking from his past now, his voice had risen from a low whisper and was getting higher and happier as he continued speaking. I could feel his pulse pumping through his leg!
         With two breaths, he calmed himself down. “But you know how that turned out.” He grinned.
         “What happened to Kindred?” I questioned eagerly, “How did you become leader instead of him?!”
         “The rites of passage.” He finished, lowering his gaze as the grin vanished. “At fourteen you must go into the Black Forest to capture your Guardian Spirit -”
         “-But I thought he already had one?”
         “He did.” Papa’s voice reeked of dread, “The Guardian Spirit he had, he caught all by himself, but to complete the rites of passage he had to catch one in the hours he had just turned fourteen - before night fell.”
         I held my breath. “He brought his Guardian Spirit in with him, to help him catch a stronger one - I warned him not to go too deep into the forest, that I wasn’t allowed to help or follow him - but he just ignored it.” Papa shook his head sadly, “Some say he went as far as the Black Dragon’s Gate.”
         The Black Forest. The myths say that the ghoul Fiends - ghosts - come from the Black Dragon’s Gate, said to be in the heart of the forest. If he went that far…
         “He stayed there, looking for strong ghouls he could capture with the help of his Guardian Spirit. He wanted to be in the Lilac Breeze tomes - catching the legendary Rin spirit -” A ghoul said to harvest the souls of  evil people, Sun, Moon, Cloud - even Star. It’s supposed to be a mucus like giant, with hands and bodies sprouting out like hideous flowers in a garden - the monster is a poor headless thing that can kill a full grown man in one swipe. His brother was - crazy.
         “- he found it alright.” Papa shook his head once more, lowering it to give respect to the dead. “His Guardian Spirit left him to become apart of Rin - to help kill him…”
         “…they succeeded. Rin took him. I got through the rites of passage, waiting outside the forest…waiting for him…” I could feel Papa’s blood boiling as he began to lose his temper. My heart began to pound.
         “Sorry princess.” Papa patted my head, noticing I was shaking. “Let me finish.” I nodded, and he returned to his happy, calm self. “He never did and my parents mourned his death. The village knew I’d be the new leader - though none congratulated me. And I can’t blame them - someone had to die for it to happen.” He sneaked a look at Sol, “I’d never get to leave like everyone else but -” He gently took my hand and held it close, “Don’t be afraid of your sister Iris - I promise you, if you change, so will she -” He tightened his grip as his worried eyes looked into mine, “-I don’t want her turning into a Kindred, or you turning into an Akiro - got it?” I nodded, stifling a laugh. Akiro? Thank the gods Mama and Papa weren’t so weird with names!
         
~~~

         I listened to Papa’s advice, standing up to Lily whenever I had the chance. Not only that, but deciding - if she really were to banish me - I could go to Sol, like Papa had decided when he was my age.
         Papa made me promise to no longer be a coward - that promise ultimately became a great regret.
         “What do you mean I have to come hunting?” I whined, sticking out my lower lip, “The Black Forest isn’t a place for girls!”
         “Are you scared?” He countered, wearing the Trickster’s aggravating crooked grin again.
         “No-”
         “-Yes you are.”
         He had me - again.
         “When you make a promise - you have to keep it-”
         “-No you don’t! You break them all the time!” I stomped my foot for emphasis, placing my hands on my hips.
         I had him there.
         “Using my tactic against me, eh?” He looked genuinely proud until he countered with a, “It’s simply the Will of the Fox -”
         “The Will of my a-”
         “-which you do not have yet.” He had me there. Check and mate.
         I crossed my arms. “Fine.”
         “We wake at dawn. Wear breeches under a long cheongsam - or you will regret it.”
         The next morning, I was up before the sun could kiss the sky; outfitted in a simple long and black cheongsam, with grey puffy breeches. I contemplated wearing shoes, but decided against it - I’ve never worn shoes in my life, why start now? Looking in my room mirror, there was no need to fix my hair - it was as puffy and curly as it could ever get. But if it gets past my chin - I’m cutting it.
         Outside, I was greeted by the wild stink of horse Fiends, bewildered male riders and one rider I did not expect, “Granite?!” She led her onyx colored horse to me and motioned with one ghostly arm to come up. I think she even smiled.
         Even though I didn’t know how to get up - I climbed the stirrups and clung to Granite’s icy grey back. Her red nails dug into me as she placed my hands securely around her waist; then looked back, her eyes saying, “There!”
         The black and grey smoke coming off her body would make anyone else choke - but it was normal to me, though it did make my eyes water. I smiled back.
         Papa was the only one not riding a horse, but leading it. He immediately noticed me, “So you’re keeping your promise?”
         “I’m no coward!” I responded with a goofy grin.
         “I hope so.” He replied, getting onto his crimson stallion with ease and moving to the front of the pack.
         The pack being three other men - two seeming to be priests dressed in white cheongsams with frog buttons on the sides, their faces long and pale with hair covered by tall round caps; the other a commoner dressed in a long blue cheongsam with frog buttons on the front, his face much more youthful than Papa’s or the priests’. His purple hair was tied back to reveal a young man’s scarred face - with a grim line for lips, a straight nose and squinting eyes.
         Granite turned and handed me two paper talismans on a necklace. Before I could ask her what they were - she pointed to the name. Spell tags, a tool for warding off ghouls and beings of black magic.
         I looked up at her in disbelief as it came to rest around my neck. I wore an ‘are-you-serious’ face, and she simply nodded. We were seriously going into the depths of the Black Forest. To hunt.
         I took one hard look at Papa before the whole party started off at a trot towards the dastardly place. Trotting off the floorboards of the village and walking through the shallow white waters of Beam onto the light and sandy shore - I realized, everyone knew what they were doing but me.
         Was this a challenge?
         Upon entering the forest, a dark black mist fell like a bad aura. The dead trees groaned as if in pain as shadows crisscrossed in front of us, frightening me but not frightening the horses. I managed to whisper to a calm priest on my right, “What are we doing here?” He and his partner quickly exchanged worried glances before he found it right to answer me.
         “Decreasing the population of the Black Forest.” When I met his all knowing gaze with a slightly confused look, he explained, “Placing spell tags around the Black Dragon’s Gate. To keep Fiends who enter at bay - for a while, at least.”
         “How can you come and not know what the hell you’re doing here?!” The scarred man’s voice was sharp and harsh compared to the soft and caring voice of the priest. The voice had come from behind, “Oh - you’re the…” His voice trailed off as he met my eyes.
         “I’m the Trickster’s kin?” I finished for him, using Papa’s patented Trickster grin. The man simply looked down.
         “Keep your eyes on the road little girl.” He replied, his voice less sharp than before.
         I could see Papa smirking, I was keeping my promise.
         The deeper we ventured, the thicker the black haze got. The population of ghoul Fiends doubled as we got closer to the heart of the forest. Many of them looked like Granite - with deathly grey skin, black and grey garments that put off smoke and long red talons. Some had their mouths permanently stretched in a screech never screamed. Others had limbs torn off, literally hanging by a thread of skin - their blood having run dry years ago. Granite never took a second look at them - she didn’t even take one look. Her eyes were set straight ahead - towards the Black Dragon’s Gate.
         The only noise in this place were the horse’s stamping hooves that crunched and broke dead leaves and the silently moaning trees that seemed to watch us with dread. The mute onlookers - ghost Fiends now - watched, only moving their heads. Some following and randomly stopping, left behind by the horses. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for them. They looked like Granite’s kin.
         A light swooshing sound began to get louder and louder as lightning crashed down with loud booms and crackles. I was shaking by the time we got close enough to actually see the dark spiral downwards that was the Black Dragon’s Gate. Old spell tags floated around each end, keeping stronger ghouls that lashed out against them with their long stretchy arms, or acidic vomit that came from their large corroding mouths.
         Granite pulled me off the horse and stripped the spell tags from my neck, giving them to me in paper form. Everyone else did the same.
         Did I have to go near those things?!
         I was stricken with fear, close to the point of crying. Papa patted me on the back, realizing that I was afraid.
         “I’m a coward!” I cried, clinging to his bare arm, “I’m afraid!”
         He ran his fingers through my hair, “Shhh, it’s only natural. You can’t quit now.” I held back tears, determined to finish this. I could cry later - in a place I wouldn’t die at.
         Granite took my hand in her’s - but I pulled it away, “I can do this!” I whispered. “They’re just ghosts!” She nodded, her stony face softening.
         We approached the spiraling portal as the crowd of crazed ghosts became completely chaotic. They had seen the spell tags. The priests directed each of us to a tag, though they seemed to trust Granite to maintain and fix it - they couldn’t trust a newcomer. Their worried faces lingered as I followed Granite to the East Tag. The ghouls here were colorful and young, though they had long snake like fangs jutting from their mouths. Their eyes blazed white or red as they lashed out towards the spell tag, some watched us with great intent as the others tried in vain to go back down the portal.
         No one spoke, just acted. As one priest pressed his palm to a dying tag, all mirrored his move. Granite forced my hand to the tag as the priest’s mouth began to move - but no sound came out. The Fiends on my side screeched in agony as the tag turned a light crimson mist, which flew away like a frightened bird Fiend. I watched in horror as the young Fiend children grinned, showing all of their pointed viper like teeth. Their eyes widened as Granite took both spell tags and placed them in front of my palm. The sear weight of the magic made me place another hand behind it as the two new spell tags created a burst of blue light as they merged together as one. The young Fiends screeched in agony once more, collapsing to their knees and holding their palms up as a sign of mercy. I shut my eyes as four more blue lights flashed and sent my immovable hair flying back with the gush of the aftermath. Granite’s cold hand folded over mine as she removed it from the floating tag. Opening my eyes, I marveled at what I had just done. Trapping Fiends much stronger than me at the Black Dragon’s Gate - I’m no coward! I went through with it!
         On the road home, I was no longer afraid. At least - for now, anyway.
         Once safely home, I longed for sleep. Even though those Fiends hadn’t sucked an ounce of my blood - I felt drained, but I simply had to see if Papa still thought of me as a coward…or rather - say ‘I told you so!’
         “You’re right, you did do good. But -”
         “-but?! I went through that whole thing without so much as a direction as to what the hell-”
         “-Who taught you that word?” Papa cut me off mid sentence, thinking I’m not smart enough to learn new words.
         “The man who rode with us…” I replied innocently, yawning for effect. “Is it bad?”
         He simply shook his head, “Conquering your fears won’t make you any braver than conquering your dreams, princess.” He patted my head like he would pet his prized hound Fiend and walked in the opposite direction as I lumbered off to bed.

~~~

         It only got harder from there. Lily became jealous and sometimes violent over my new found glory. Though I love her - I found it fun to beat her when she hit me first, even if Mama didn’t believe me. I’d get a good spanking for self defense, but it was worth it for sticking up for myself.
         After Lily’s twelfth birthday, she stopped the violence and began to make friends, leaving me to my lonesome at home. The kids of the village didn’t want to play with me - even after Papa’s abrupt anger and Mama’s stern lectures. I realized how lonely I really was when Granite went on errands for Papa or went with him to hunt at night (which I couldn’t go to). When they came back, I begged to hear how the situation was in the Black Forest.
         “Bad.” Papa said in the summer.
         “Worse.” The scarred man, Minno, said in the fall.
         “Terrible.” Minno, again , reported in the winter.
         Once I turned ten to Lily’s new twelve, the situation was indescribable. One couldn’t go into the forest without being sucked dry by vampire Fiends or torn limb from limb by monkey like Fiends. The villagers simply called it ominous, while a convoy of carts pulled by large Fiends with long necks, told us otherwise.
         “They’re planning an attack.” A stern faced man in plain black leather reported, staring each of us dead in the eye. “Attack in Unison, they’re calling it.”
         Papa replied with a face as cold and emotionless as Granite’s, “And when shall this attack take place?”
         The stern faced man scratched his balding head, “When the moon is full - sir. We are stationed here as protection…so if you would please open your homes…”
         Papa complied with the man, giving him and his men supplies until the battle started. I asked Papa why he had let them stay, though I knew the situation was getting very bad (a vulture Fiend swiped my Bot!), that is no need for soldiers with poor skills.
         “Who says they’re poor?” He asked with a smirk, “When a man sees another man die, he doesn’t use the same tactic as him - does he?”
         I shook my head, no, “But - only our clan knows how to get rid of ghouls…right?”
         He put his elbow on his knee as he stretched his other leg out. I sat cross legged, waiting to hear more. “Do you think DawnGate doesn’t know what a priest is?”
         “The god or the city?”          
         “The god, princess.” He chuckled, “The city, of course!”
         I thought before replying with, “Well yeah - that’s the capital of Sun so there’s got to be a lot of people living there.” 
         “Exactly - so there’s no need to worry.”
         “Easy for you to say.” I snorted, getting up to watch the sun sink below the horizon. “There might be a full moon tonight.”
         My prediction would have been right if the Fiends actually attacked when the moon was fully up. Once the sun was gone, humongous vulture Fiends circled the town as the same Fiends I placed spell tags on, dashed from the forest. I heard men cry out as a big mechanical boom went off, then the cries of dying vampire Fiends. I saw some venture into the village from my parent’s bedroom window, but when I caught the eye of one - it held my gaze before vanishing in a wad of smoke-
         -and reappearing in my face. It grinned, showing it’s long fangs.
         “Hello little girl.” It’s blazing white eyes almost popped out of it’s sockets, “I remember you.”
         I was still with shock, but only for a moment, “I don’t remember you.” I replied before dashing backwards, avoiding it’s long sharp fangs.
         “Oh - excuse my manners.” It said - she said - her long black locks covering only half her face as she reached a hand towards her ruby red lips. “May I…come in?”
         “Hell no!” I was appalled she’d even ask!
         Mama twirled me around, anger flashing in her eyes, “Who taught you such language?” I wasn’t surprised she had sneaked up on me so quietly - she was a Fox Sun.
         “Minno.” I replied innocently before the vampire could strike again, stretching it’s neck to unproportional lengths just to get a swig of our blood.          
         “Ohh - whatever! Just come with me and you!-” Off of her red cheongsam, she pulled out a hidden spell tag necklace and placed it on the Fiend’s forehead, “-go to hell!” She screamed as the Fiend simply vanished in the same puff of air it had came. Mama rushed me to her room, tacked spell tags to the door post, and sat on the floor. Lily was already there, of course.
         The Attack in Unison, had begun.
         ~~~

         The attack lasted well into the night. When Mama and Lily were fast asleep, I couldn’t help but go outside and see all that had happened for myself. Papa told me Rin comes out at night. Now that’s what I wanted to see.
         Taking two spell tags from the door post, I crept outside. The town hadn’t been taken apart by the Fiends - but there were bodies on the bamboo boards of the walk way. Doors had been torn off their wooden hinges, people had been flung out their homes - their blood drained dry. Others had their limbs missing - flung miles from the body. Little to no blood stained the boards - the vampire Fiends drained it all. Each step I took, I remained vigilant for ghoul Fiends. Approaching a woman’s body, I kindly stepped over it - but couldn’t go any farther. I looked into her lilac colored eyes and recognized her - she was one of the women who disliked me, who taunted and jeered at me. Now she was dead - gone. I don’t know why - but I felt sorry for her lifeless body; dressed up in a short blue cheongsam. Her long purple hair thrown in different directions, her mouth open in a permanent shriek. Her body - sprawled across her own door steps.
         My stomach heaved, but I wouldn’t vomit.
         I continued on in the dark, stepping over body after body - holding my dinner down - following the noise of war cries, shrieks and automatronic booming sounds.
         The closer I got to my destination, the more the bodies began to pile up. Not only commoners now, but soldiers from DawnGate - who would not be remembered. Much less named. I began to choke as tears welled up in my eyes.
         What if Papa was among these men?
         But I couldn’t think of that right now. I’m closer than I started, I had to go on.
         Fiends vanished, Suns did not. Their bodies continued to pile up, until I saw the source of all the violence.
         Rin.
         It was really as frightening as I thought it would be.
         The monster smelled like the compiled stink of rotting corpses, giving me a taste so putrid that I had to cling to a nearby building to keep from vomiting. Rin was humongous - big enough to simply reach and knock the moon from the sky. It was an enormous blob of crimson colored plasma with moaning, groping corpses sticking out from various places of it’s body. The corpses were decayed creatures, their groping flesh falling to pieces as DawnGate’s mini army sent cannon ball after cannon ball into the moving mound of flesh. Rin seemed to take it all and throw it back as something disgusting and rotting. When it impacted the ground it sent army men flying - their limbs ripping off in mid-flight. The monster moaned listlessly as the corpses in it’s flesh stretched and pulled men and women to pieces - screaming in agony till it was done.
         This monster was…invincible.
         A flailing body hit me like a sack of stones.
         Lights out.

~~~

         Rin was never defeated, Papa told me as he scolded me for being overly brave - not to mention stupid. Rin retreated and Minno found me unconscious, he was afraid I had the life sucked out of me - or worse.
         Both sat at the foot of my bed, talking about the carnage, the clean up and about my emotional scarring.
         “Is it really true? That all of Sun’s cities - even some of Moon’s - were attack at the very same time?” Minno rambled, stopping himself quickly.
         “Never underestimate a Fiend.” Papa said, rubbing his bandaged arm, “They were made by the Trickster, after all.” He winked.
         I rubbed my head Mama insisted be bandaged, “How is it possible? Unless they all have telepathy…”
         “Who knows what that half assed goddess gave to them-”
         Papa boxed Minno’s ear before he could say anymore, “Watch your language - she picks it up quick.” I smiled innocently at their sidelong glance.
         Once Papa and Minno had left, Lily barged it, causing me to jump up in my bed.
         “What’s bitten you?!” I snapped, watching her unnervingly happy face.
         “Since the attack - many villages have collapsed to nothing!” Her voice was peppy and chirpy.
         “Wow…didn’t know you were this evil.” I replied sarcastically.
         She ignored it. “Mama has granted refugees from the Leaf Scale to come - boy refugees!”
         I could have said, “Get the hell out of my room!” and she would have answered happily.
         “Two, exactly two. The clan leader’s sons! Oh I’m so happy - I think I could die !-” She backed up quickly, as if I had the pox, “-wait…why am I telling you this?” She sneered, backing up out of my room and running towards the door. I heard it open and slam. She went to go tell her friends.
         How I envied her.
         My head fell to the pillow as I gently closed my heavy eyes.
         So what if a few boys were coming - whenever has that made a big deal to me?

~~~
         
         

















































© Copyright 2010 Kiri (cocomerci at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679564-Ever-Changing-Iris-Book-One