*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680299-Her-Last-Breath
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Emotional · #1680299
The script is about a young couple who have just been attacked. The girl is slowly dying.
SCENE 154/3. NEW YORK CITY – ALLEY. NIGHT.

[STEPH AND CRAIG LIE IN THE CENTRE OF AN ALLEY. STEPH IS BADLY INJURED FROM CRAIG’S KNIFE BLADE.

CRAIG STAYS IN SHOCK FOR A FEW MINUTES, HE MANAGES TO RING AN AMBULANCE. HE STARES DOWN AT HER... NOT SURE WHAT TO DO OR SAY.

HE TAKES A DEEP BREATH AND HOLDS HER TIGHTLY...]


CRAIG: S-st-steph... Steph? Talk to me!

[SILENCE, CAN’T SAY ANYTHING, IN SHOCK]

Can you hear me Steph? You’re so cold... S-say something! I’m so... So...sorry babe, I can’t believe this. God... What do I do? What do I do!

[CRAIG PULLS STEPH CLOSER, WRAPS HIS JACKET ROUND HER TO STOP BLOOD]

Babe... Just... Err... I dunno, don’t close your eyes... Ok? It’s g-gunna be ok, I’m here with you, I aint going anywhere. You... You aint going anywhere. I d-dunno what to do... What shall I do Steph? Someone help me! You’re always full of great ideas. Help me! Someone h-help me! I’ve never been so full of panic in my life. My fault. All of this. My f-fault. I should... I shoulda never brought you to this city. Keep your eyes open Steph, I’m still here, I’m gunna talk to you until everything goes away.

[BEAT, HE LOOKS FOR AMBULANCE]

I wish the ambulance would hurry up. Just hurry up! Steph! Steph! Look... Stay awake. You’re so amazing Steph. We’ve only been in Ne-New York for a few months; ‘n you’re already shining at your University. Don’t... Just d-don’t let that go. God Steph! There’s no-one here, what the hell do I do! Erm, err, yeah... University... Everyone’s so jealous of you in that class. The f-first... That day... You know when I saw you dance. The first time. I was so proud... You were the best girl in there. I'm always... Umm, god where are they! Yeah, I'm always so proud of you.

[BEAT, A TEAR RUNS DOWN CRAIG’S CHEEK]

Do you remember the first day we met Steph? How stupid...I’m being stupid. Wake up! Course you don’t... You were stumbling across that path... Your hair a complete mess. Well, you still looked beautiful...Stunning in fact.

[HE SMILES FAINTLY, REMEMBERING THE MEMORY]

That puddle. I knew that was my cue to come and talk to you...You know, that p-puddle, you fell in it. I can’t hear the ambu-ambulance! Umm, god I was nervous. The first time I spoke to you. But it was worth it. Steph?

[A MOMENT, STEPH MAKES A CHOKING SOUND]

I'm gunna get ‘em. One by one I’ll get ‘em... I dunn-dunno how but I will. They’ve ruined everything...everything! I’ll get you! I know what you’d say Steph... Violence isn’t the answer. But... What... What else can I do now? I cannot live my life... If... if my life is no longer with me.

[REARRANGES HIS JACKET, KISSES STEPHS FOREHEAD]

Let’s talk about something you like Steph...Umm... Daisies. Yeh, daisies. You’ve always had an obsession with em. If you can hear me now... You can can’t you? I know u can...Anyway, umm, what was I saying? Oh, d-daises. Think about em right now. Think about our field back home... Think about how you would try and teach me to make a daisy chain for hours. I’ll never understand how to... I don’t have patience like... like you. You are quite odd at times actually... I’m not being mean. I’d never be mean...Steph... Not to you. It’s just, there is really nothing that interesting about daisies. I suppose that’s why I love you though. Everything about you is a mystery.

[CRAIG STOPS FOR A MOMENT, THINKING]

I... I... love you.

[BEAT]

Do you know what song I have in my head right now... “This Woman’s Work” by “Maxwell”.

[HE SINGS SOFTLY, BARELY WHISPERING]

“I know you have a little life in you yet... I know you’ve got a lot of strength left”

[STEPH STIRS UNCOMFORTABLY)

Hold on Steph! For me. This is weird... I mean to talk to you and not hear your voice...That b-beautiful voice, talking back. Usually you can’t stop. The only time you’ve been this quiet is when you met my Dad...That Tuesday. Remember? I know what you wore... Dots, polka dots. A skirt. That blue blouse. He didn’t like you. No what... What am I saying. He did, c-course he did. Umm, it’s just you thought he didn’t. You know what I mean. My Dad has high hopes for me. He thinks you’re getting in the way. Shit, what am I s-saying. I'm so sorry.

[FAINT LAUGH]

He never understood love Steph, he never will. No wonder Mum left. What we have is special... It’s d-different aint it? Where’s that bloody ambulance... I can’t take this no more. I can’t get me words out. My words out. The right words out. I’m s-so worried St-steph... Stephanie Barker.

[BEAT, CRAIG LOOKS AROUND.
HE RAISES HIS VOICE]

Look at this dump! There’s nothing good here... Everything’s a mess! Such a complete mess! What is wrong with these people? Is everyone that mental in this city? When we watched programmes on TV ‘bout the disasters of New York... Well, I didn’t think we’d be one of those disasters. I know you can’t see right now but I'm looking at the buildings Steph... It’s no sight. Everything is so run down; it’s funny ya know... How things look different in the dark.

[BEAT]

We shouldn’t ‘ave moved here... When you said you never really liked the look of New York I shoulda listened... But you always do what I wanna do. Why Steph?

[BEAT]

You stupid girl Steph!

[BEAT, CRAIG STARTS TO CRY UNCONTROLLABLY]

Why did ya ‘ave to get in the way?

[BEAT, HE PICKS UP THE KNIFE AND THROWS IT INTO THE DISTANCE]

You shouldn’ be lying here; you should be somewhere warm and h-happy... Some place you love. I should be spoiling you... Everything you ask for... You should be getting! This is... It’s so... I dunno, so wrong.

[BEAT]

Why are you leaving me? Stop being so selfish!

[BEAT – CRAIG SHAKES STEPH’S SHOULDERS.

A MOMENT AS HE CONTROLS HIS ANGER]

I dunno where to go from here... I'm lost already. I can’t even think of what to s-say to you, words are so pointless sometimes.

[BEAT]

You’re getting co-colder by the second. Try and be warm, think of fire, the sun, hot and spicy chicken wings...From George’s Spice House. You love ‘em.

[BEAT, CRAIG REACHERS FOR STEPH’S HAND]

Umm, babe...If you can hear me, squeeze my hand.

[BEAT, STEPH DOESN’T RESPOND]

I c-can’t live with this Steph. Don’t leave me.

[BEAT]

Don’t leave me.

[BEAT]

All those memories we’ve had. Together...Me and you.

[BEAT]

Is this it? My god Steph is this it! All our memories Steph... Leading down to this final one.

[BEAT, HE LOOKS DOWN AT HER]

Wow, you are so beautiful.

[A MOMENT.

STEPH TAKES HER LAST BREATH, TEARS RUN FROM CRAIG’S EYES.

THE AMBULANCE’S SIREN CAN BE HEARD FAINTLY.

CRAIG STROKES STEPH’S HAIR AWAY FROM HER FACE AND KISSES HER FOREHEAD, ONE LAST TIME]

PLAY MUSIC; “THIS WOMAN’S WORK” BY MAXWELL.

[END]


© Copyright 2010 jessbxo (jessbxo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680299-Her-Last-Breath