*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680887-Prophecy-Wars---Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1680887
A world bound by a shattered prophecy that will save them or lead to their destruction.
PROPHECY WARS


Chapter 1 - FLIGHT


         The sun was sinking in the late afternoon sky and the streets had mostly emptied, but the sounds of laughter and singing drowned out the street vendors in a backwater neighborhood in the town of Threefold.  Outside a shabby tavern, a big black horse shuffled nervously.  His owner, a slender elf dressed in basic green, had tied him to a handrail and entered some hours ago, but had not returned.  It was unlike Cadian to leave his beautiful horse unattended for long, especially in a neighborhood like this one.  The horse snorted in disgust but thought there must be a good reason for being here.  Of course Midnight was not as intelligent as elves or even humans, but he was descended from the family of Elder horses.  These royal animals, bred and groomed by the highest nobility, had a special bond with members of the royal Elven line.  The bond, established just after birth, opened their minds to a chosen elf exclusively, and that bond was for a lifetime.  Cadian, his owner, was a prince of the powerful kingdom of Elfwind.

         The night air did little to comfort the animal and when the wind blew, it brought every smell of this undesirable part of town.  There was the ever-present smoke of cooking fires, but also the strong odor of ale and an uncomfortable scent of evil.  Why had his master chosen this tavern of all places in this man town?  Many unanswered questions rolled through his mind as he listened for sounds from the tavern.  Of course, there had been rousing bouts of laughter and song earlier, but an unnatural silence now lingered, which was disturbing.

         Inside, Cadian sat in a dark corner drinking slowly and watching.  Throughout the afternoon, he spoke with various patrons, gathering what information he could between their drinks.  He was to meet a wizard here, but he had not arrived and that troubled him.  Too preoccupied to speak with his mount, he continued to probe for news, unaware of the risk he was taking.  Unfortunately, word of his activities had reached the constables and late in the evening they decided to act.  A lieutenant and several men entered from a back alley door, but he thought nothing of it.

         The lieutenant approached his table and stared down at him sternly.  Cadian looked up and considered whether or not he should ask the man to sit.  Without invitation, the constable seated himself across from him and casually laid his hand on his sword.  “I hear you’ve been asking about a wizard?”, he said.

         “Yes, I’m looking for him,” he replied.

         “Well, let me tell you, elf, this wizard you’re asking about is a trouble maker.  I’ve been after him for three days now.  I have a warrant for his arrest and I will catch him.  I’ve heard rumors that he has an accomplice and I guess I just found him.  Now you can come with me or die here tonight, it’s your choice.”

         Still waiting outside for his master, Midnight grew uneasy, sensing trouble.  Just then, he heard harsh voices and the distinct sound of drawn weapons.  From outside his own mind, he heard the thought, "Prepare".  It was, of course, a signal to let him know that all speed would soon be needed to take them from this uncomfortable place.  Midnight dug his hoofs into the loose dirt and did his best to ready himself.  Inside the tavern, steel rang upon steel for an instant and then the door flew open.

         Cadian emerged with his back to the street.  He was facing off a number of men in the silver and black uniforms of Threefold.  “What has happened?”, Midnight thought when he saw his master’s plight at the door.  One final pull on the loosely tied reins and he was free of the railing.  He tried to move closer but someone grabbed his mane, holding him in place.

         Cadian’s final slash sent one man reeling back just as the air was ripped by an explosion and blinding red flash.  It caught everyone by surprise, except Cadian, who was responsible for it, and Midnight who had seen this diversion used many times before.  The horse reared and threw aside the man holding him as Cadian hopped over the rail and landed on his saddle. 

         “Arige”, Cadian shouted, but Midnight was already in motion, not waiting for his master’s command.  The nearly empty streets would let them put some distance behind them and they rode off at full speed.  Wind whipped past them as the horse raced to carry his master into the safety of the dark night.  Men shouted curses and waved their arms as the horse raced through the cobbled streets.  Those unfortunate enough to be in their path were forced to dive for safety as the menacing black horse charged through, heedless of their protests. 

         Midnight instinctively headed for the city gates.  They had been open earlier to allow merchants and farmers to enter, but now they would surely be closed.  His master turned him down an unfamiliar street with a quick tug of the reins and they rode for several more blocks.  The main gate now lay somewhere to the west and he realized that he was being lead into the heart of the city.  Although he did not understand his master’s intentions, he loyally obeyed. 

         As they sped faster through the cobblestone streets, the sounds of pursuit faded behind them and within a few minutes, they entered in a different section of town.  Gone were the low peasant houses and taverns, replaced by large block warehouses and trading halls.  A small boat dock lay in the distance and several long waterfront buildings came into view.  Cadian checked his horse, slowing him to a trot, hoping to appear as a normal traveling merchant.  The ploy had worked earlier in the day and he hoped to use it once again.

         Three streets over, they stopped in front of one of the riverfront buildings and Cadian cautiously dismounted.  The sign over the door indicated that an importer could be found within.  He touched Midnight’s mind commanding him to "Watch" and proceeded into the office.

         The place looked just as expected.  It was a small, dimly lit office with a thick cloud of smoke hovering near the ceiling.  There was a small desk in the corner behind which sat an overworked agent laboring away on a pile of disorganized papers.  “Can I help you, good sir?”, he asked in a customary manner.

         “Yes, I hope so”, Cadian began, hastily fabricating a story, “I am interested in booking passage to Dairydowns.  I’m taking delivery of a rather large shipment of wool there in three days and I need to make sure it’s all accounted for.  Farmers are mostly honest, but I fear the middlemen.  If I’m not present I have no doubt there will be unexplained shortages.” 

         “I understand completely, I’m a businessman myself.  I have a ferry leaving tomorrow afternoon that should get you there in time.  Five silvers will reserve your seat, in advance, of course.”

         “No, I don’t think that will work, good ferryman.  I’m in a bit of a hurry.  Not that I doubt your word, but ferries tend to experience delays that I cannot afford.  I need to leave tonight if at all possible”, he replied with a slight wink of the eye.

         “I see”, the agent nodded.  “Your business was not as successful as you had hoped today?” he asked.  “I get the impression you would like to be somewhere else before the sun rises to curse a new day of business.”

         “Quite right”, he agreed, noting the discretion of the seasoned agent.  “That would sum up the situation quite well.  I see you’ve had some experience with businessmen in my situation.  I can, of course, reward you very handsomely.”

         “Yes, good elf”, he replied, “but that kind of assistance doesn’t come cheap, you know.  A merchant ship called the River Master is leaving within the hour, but you’ll have to ride among the cargo.  That’s the best I can do, but it will cost you twenty gold.”

         Cadian handed over the coins and the agent promptly dropped them into his own pouch.  It seems the man was in business for himself, which was a good sign.  He was directed down the docks to a four hundred foot river boat named The River Master.  Crewmen worked on deck securing several large crates while at least a dozen armed men filed onto the ship.  He stepped into the shadows as a precaution while they boarded, but these mercenaries had no interest in him.  Lately, all cargo ships hired armed protection with incidents of piracy on the rise, but attacks were still rare.  When the men disappeared below decks, he led Midnight up the rickety boarding plank to the main deck.  It wasn’t the largest ship he had ever seen, but it was fully loaded and would provide plenty of cover.

         Trusting his master, Midnight showed no signs of fear as they weaved through the maze of crates on the rocking deck.  Darkness would conceal them but they could take no chances.  They found a secluded spot on deck and waited for the ship to leave.  Not long after they had settled, Cadian heard voices on the docks below.  Most were unfamiliar, but he felt certain he heard the import agent.  Another voice, that could have been a constable, spoke in low hushed tones.  He held his breath and strained to hear the conversation.

         “I have to search all vessels going out tonight”, the unidentified voice announced.  “Commander Banier has given direct orders to stop this Elf from leaving town.”

         His heart pounded as the agent responded.  “Yes, he came here to book passage out of town”, he began as Cadian reached for his sword, fearing betrayal.  “He purchased a seat on tomorrow’s ferry up river to Pendleton, and seemed quite disappointed that he couldn’t leave tonight.  He told me he would be at the inn in the East district in case anything else came available.” 

         The soldiers quickly mounted and rode off to follow their new lead.  Cadian stayed hidden, listening for any sounds aboard ship.  Time passed without incident until finally the River Master weighed anchor and eased away from the dock.  Oars splashed, signaling they were underway and he relaxed, knowing they were leaving this unfriendly town.  The night grew darker as the boat pushed out into the main current of the Ardon river.  The ship picked up speed and Cadian breathed a silent prayer to the forest goddess for protection.

         Within a few minutes, the River Master approached a wooden gate.  Its massive structure spanned the entire river channel, guarded by high towers that loomed on either side.  As the ship approached, the gates were drawn open by teams of oxen hauling on massive ropes.  He suddenly felt very exposed on the open deck, despite the darkness.  His mind raced for options, quickly dismissing the idea of weapons.  Any attempt to take out the guards would raise an alarm and his escape would be over before it had begun. 

         He pulled his cloak around him and crawled across the deck to a pile of unused cargo covers.  As filthy as they were, he knew they were his only chance.  He selected one and pulled it over Midnight, urging the animal to stay calm.  He slipped back into the shadows, keeping his cloak pulled tightly around him.  The ship continued to creak toward the gate, drawing only the passing attention of the guards above.

         Minutes slowly dragged by as the ship slipped downriver and through the gates.  His fine magic cloak blended into the shadows and even the most watchful would not detect him, but he still worried about Midnight.  Relax he thought to him as the horse fidgeted under the nasty tarp.  Despite the danger, the River Master passed the gates continued down the powerful river.  Cadian breathed a sigh of relief as they passed beyond the watchful eyes in the towers, safe for the moment.  As the oars beat a rhythm in the muddy waters, he reviewed his current situation.

         He had come to Threefold to meet Zanier, a human wizard.  He naturally mistrusted humans, especially when his life depended on them, but in this case, he had to make an exception.  The Elf Lord had directed him to this man as an old friend that could help him with his task.  But the wizard never arrived in Threefold and that was a bad sign.  The old man tended to drink too much, so maybe he was passed out in some tavern or alley, but that was not likely.  If Zanier still lived, he was surely in danger.

         Not knowing the circumstances, he had to continue on.  A secondary meeting was set for Wheatly, a small town north of Dairydowns.  If the wizard failed to materialize there, Cadian would have to go alone.  Unfortunately, if he had been captured, the whole enterprise was now in jeopardy.  The man knew too much and the enemy would certainly be waiting for him.

         Pushing those thoughts aside, he pulled the cover off Midnight and slowly stroked him mane to comfort him.  As he soothed his noble steed, he absently wondered if the captain could be trusted.  Without warning, a fat sailor stepped onto deck and slowly made his way toward their hiding place.  Cadian gripped the bone handle of his throwing knife and slipped into a dark recess, holding his breath.

         With a look of confusion, the sailor stopped short and huffed.  “Elven Merchant”, he called in a rough whisper, “Good merchant, I know you are here.  I’m Captain Abel and need to speak with you”, he whispered to the dark air around him.  With a hint of fear in his voice, he continued, “I mean no harm … “

           His voice trailed off as the cold edge of a blade touched his neck, just below his scrubby beard.  He flinched slightly as the elf seemed to magically appear behind him.  “God’s, how do you people do that?” he questioned, not really expecting an answer.  “I must talk with you about your accommodations.”

         “I’m listening”, he responded, easing the blade away from the big man’s neck.  He stepped back and slipped it into its sheath, hidden in the folds of his tunic.  As put away his weapon, the sailor turned to face him.

         “The dock master is a close friend of mine and he explained your need for secrecy.  In fact, I have been paid a bonus to insure it”, he said as he jingled a leather purse tied to his belt.  “I have a place in the hold for your mount and you are welcome to enjoy the comforts of the deck house if you like.  There’s a storm brewing down river and we’ll most likely hit it in a few hours.  I don’t think the deck will be a very comfortable if that happens.”

         The invitation seemed sincere and he didn’t relish the idea of spending a rainy night on deck, so he accepted the offer and lead Midnight below.  The livestock stalls stank of cattle, but at least they were clean and dry.  He brushed Midnight and filled a feedbox with fresh hay before heading back up.  He climbed the stairs to the deckhouse at the stern of the ship and politely knocked. 

         The captain invited him in and he pushed the door opened, spilling a soft yellow light onto the landing at the top of the stairs.  He entered to find a small but comfortable room lit by several lanterns.  The cozy cabin contained a bed and chairs as well as an elegant desk on the left wall.  It had two small windows overlooking the deck with polished floors and dark wood paneled walls.  The captain sat a small table opposite the door, motioning him inside.

         “I assume your business deprived you of an evening meal?” he asked as and Cadian closed the door.  “I’m sure the fare is not quite what you’re used to, but it’s the best I have.  There’s bread and cheese and I’ve opened a bottle of wine to wash down some roasted fish.  It’s not much, but on a riverboat, one can’t expect a feast. 

         The wine and cheese were quite good, being good years for both, and the bread, baked just hours ago, was fresh and filling.  He normally avoided meat, but always made an exception for fish.  He continued to sip wine long after the meal and the gentle sway of the boat relaxed him.  For most, wine dulls the senses, but for elves it brings clarity and calm.  He reached into a cloth bag and pulled out a long-stemmed pipe carved from a smooth black wood.  Smoking was an art to the elves and soon he felt quite at home blowing smoke rings across the room.

         Before long, the captain stood and walked to a wooden cabinet beside his bunk.  He opened the doors, retrieved a short bone pipe, lit it, and returned to the table.  He sat back down and quietly studied the elf as he clenched the stem in his yellow teeth.  After a few moments, he broke his silence. 

         “Last time I was in Dairydowns everyone was on edge”, he began.  “I’d heard a pack of wolves attacked several people a few weeks back and everybody was scared.  I hate wolves myself, but I heard there were wargs with them.  I thought those giant wolves where just a myth, but now I’m not so sure.”

         “Evil is rising everywhere”, Cadian told the worried captain.  “It may be new here, but trouble has been brewing down south for years now.  It seems to be worst near Elfwind, but my people are still strong.  Last spring, an army of orcs assaulted our borders, but our warriors fought them off.  The Kingdom holds for now, but before long, I fear no place will be safe.”

         Late into the night, the captain bunked down on the floor, leaving the bed for Cadian.  The sailor slept soundly, snoring on occasion, but Cadian only rested on the edge of consciousness.  Elves rarely needed the deep sleep that men longed for each night.  More often they would enter a state of deep meditation that refreshed the body, but kept the mind active.  In such a state, Cadian rested, listening for trouble, but the night was undisturbed.  Sometime past midnight, the promised storm hit and the River Master slipped downriver into the pouring rain.
© Copyright 2010 Neil Bowlin (vbwizzardjb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680887-Prophecy-Wars---Chapter-1