*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680901-Alexis-Batmin-5
by RCT
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1680901
The next step in her life
" Lexi"? the voice said in my head. I tossed and turned. "Alexis Manooooooooooooooooo" the voice called. Suddenly I was awake. Sitting up in bed I saw Rob sleeping. I tip-toed out the room and wrote a note to Rob.

Robby,

Had errands to do- Lexi



As I climbed into the old ford I had no idea what my errands were until I headed to the Land lord office where Harriet and Mary sat everyday reading magazines and drinking cold coffee. I walked into the too cool building and saw Harriet with her red locks laughing and the elf like giggle she projected in the room. Harriet was a 40 something giggle box. She had three kids all in college and highschool. Her husband died of cancer 3 years ago and the only friend she had was Mary. Mary was a 60 something 30 looking old woman. Her hair was a grayish color but it was mixed with black. She had so much plastic surgery she did look 30 and plump.

"Hello Harriet and Mary" I waved.

"Hello darling" Harriet chimed

"The hospital called your cell phone but it wouldn't work, your father is in the hospital" Mary whispered.

" I forgot to pay my bill with the wedding and everything but thanks" I said with tears coming down my face.



I got into the trusty old ford i refused to give away and sped into the heavy traffic. I sat in traffic jams for 15 minutes then finally the light turned green and I could go. I thought about calling Rob but my cellphone wouldn't work.

I arrived at the hospital and saw my father in a bed with his hands folded. "Daddy" ? I cried putting my head on his chest. "A retired attorny never cries" he whispered. "Daddy, it's me Lexi"! "Anna"? he asked. My head spun with confusion. Anna? "Who is Anna daddy? tell me". "My daugh....... he mumbled. I saw his eyes close and I screamed NO! That was it. My greedy , selfish old father was gone in a snap. A nurse came in. "Oh Mr. Batmin" she said dropping her clipboard. "What is wrong with him"? I asked. "Heart faliure" she said in a strong voice. "Fix him" I begged. The nurse grabbed me by the shoulders and looked me in the eye. "He is gone and we tried".



The day of his funeral was a sad day. My mother and I stood by the door greeting people at the church. A well rounded woman in a black suit and pearls approched us.

"Hello" the lady said with her black hair falling on her shoulders.

" I'm Anna"

Anna made sense. Alexis remembered her father whispering Anna and then Dawn his other wife. It was his daughter, my step sister.

" Your my step-sister," Alexis said with a tear falling down her cheek.

" Indeed"

"Hold on, You mean Dawn had a child"? my mother inquired.

Anna, nodded her head while she was crying also. We hugged a three person hug. Rob came over. "Sorry, to break up the love fest ladies but the funeral has started. I walked up the aisle in my black dress with black pearls and a black scarf with cream stiches. I stepped up to the podium and cleared my throat.

"Jospeh Fleg Batmin was a selfish, greedy and mistreated man. I heard the audience gasp.

"Also a man of many diffrent personalities.

"He was married to Rebecca Lou Gano and had me, Alexis Carol Batmin."

"He divorced my mother when he was a man full of money and power".

"He ended up marrying Dawn Louise James. "

I pulled out a picture of their wedding day and showed the audience. "My father was 43 and Dawn was 28 when they married".

"two years later they had Anna Marie James-Batmin."

" My father loved in a diffrent way then normal, he was a man who was depressed ,he lost Dawn on her 33rd birthday due to drunk driving"

Anna stood up. She walked to the front and cleared her throat. " He killed her, he was drunk and he almost killed me." My mother's mother Cathy ( points to elderly lady in back) told my father " That child isn't going anywhere with you"! " I thank her for saving me from him". Anna went back to her seat and was hugged by my teary-eyed mother. "Lord, I bless my father in heaven and wish him luck on returning to us AMEN!"



After the funeral me and Rob walked hand in hand to our car. On the ride Rob spoke. " I'v been thinking about a baby". My heart stopped beating and my breath was taken away. I put my hand in my lap and breathed.

" Rob, I'v been thinking were not ready for a baby"

" I'v always wanted a child to love and to care for"

I turned to him at a stop light. " Robert Mano you love and care for me until were ready for a baby, because after all that was your vows." I smiled a pity smile. He gave a quick kiss and started driving home.



© Copyright 2010 RCT (maffei at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680901-Alexis-Batmin-5