*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681395-Some-Day-Well-Laugh-About-This
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1681395
Flash fiction for a Daily Flash Fiction Contest
      John Wellings was a cranky old man, and cruel to the children in the rural town of Partsgrove. Sarah was his latest victim. She had been taking a walk on the gravely, peaceful road when Wellings sped up in his rusty blue truck and pretended like he was going to run her over.
         "You shouldn't be walkin' in the road, girl!" he shouted as drove away. Sarah had been terrified, but now she was angry. She relayed the event to her friend, Matt, a fun loving type bored with small town life.
         "You know, he lives right by me. We should egg his house tonight!" he said.
         "I don't know…" Sarah, unlike Matt, had a healthy fear of the law. "Isn't that vandalism or something?"
         "Who cares? No one will know. Come on."
         Sarah couldn't resist. She told her mom she was sleeping over Matt's house that night, and left.
         That night, the kids walked to John Wellings's house, a run-down country house with a wooden porch and peeling grayish paint that looked eerie in the night.. Their footsteps were noisy across the gravel road, so they had to cut through the yards of their neighbors.
         "Ready?" Matt whispered, excited. Sarah nodded nervously and threw the first egg at Mr. Wellings's window. The teens looked at each other and grinned. They threw almost a carton of eggs when the door suddenly swung open and a figure with a flashlight appeared. They were seen before they had a chance to run.
         "So it's you kids! I'm calling your parents. I'm calling the police!"          
"Some day, we'll laugh about this." Matt said, as if making sure she wasn't angry.
         Sarah smiled and looked right into his eyes.
         "Why wait? Let's laugh now. Just think of how proud our parents will be."
© Copyright 2010 Jude Kinkopf (jude964964 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681395-Some-Day-Well-Laugh-About-This